Old Friends

Toy Cars

            Following Yongguk and Himchan into the office, Youngjae and Daehyun sat down on the wooden chairs in front of the desk. Yongguk took a seat as Himchan stood behind him, his hand draped over Yongguk’s shoulder.

 

            “Can I see the notebook?” Yongguk held out his hand towards Youngjae. The younger man shot a questioning glance over at Daehyun, who nodded in assurance. Slowly he removed the little brown booklet from his inside coat pocket and handed it over. Flipping through the pages, Yongguk found what he was looking for.
 

            “This is the one that you called me about, isn’t it?” Yongguk pointed to a company’s name that had been circled in the book. Both Youngjae and Daehyun nodded. “I don’t know a lot about the company, but I do know a little about the man that runs it. His name is Woo Ji Ho. This company deals with financial records of multiple corporations, so they are bound to deal with some shady ones as well.”
 

            “So do you think that they are the ones that had my parents killed?” Youngjae eagerly asked.

 

            “We aren’t sure.” Himchan glanced down at Yongguk, who had looked up towards him. “There just isn’t enough information in this little booklet to tell. Like Yongguk said, we don’t know a lot about this company, but we have been in contact with some people who might know more about it.”

 

            Yongguk looked at the two with piercing eyes. “You guys just need to wait until we know more. Don’t go do anything stupid. We need to gather some more information, and then once we find out more, I’ll let you know.” Yongguk leaned back in his chair and folded his arms across his chest, “Why don’t you guys take a day to go see Jongup and Junhong? You haven’t been to see them yet, have you Daehyun? Do they even know that you’re back in town?”

 

            Daehyun hung and gently shook his head in response.
 

            “They’re going to want to see you and to meet your friend as well.” Yongguk gestured in Youngjae’s direction. “Why don’t the two of you go over there for a day while Himchan and I try to figure some things out?

 

            Youngjae stood up, slamming his hands on the table. “I can’t just wait around while you guys do all the work! I sat around for months while the police did everything and now I want to help!”

 

            “You’re going to help by not getting into trouble. We aren’t playing around here!” Himchan raised his voice, making Youngjae take his seat once again. “The people that we are dealing with aren’t exactly nice. We’re all risking our lives by trying to find this stuff out. So we just need you to calm down, relax, and let us take it from here.”

 

            Youngjae muttered a response, letting his hands fall into his lap and lowering his head.
 

            “Okay, we’ll stay out of trouble. Do you know if Jongup and Junhong are home?” Daehyun asked.

 

            Yongguk sighed, “Where else would they be? You know Junhong’s mom is never home and they have nowhere else to go.”

 

            Daehyun got up from his chair and motioned for Youngjae to follow him. “We’ll be over at their place whenever you find out any information.”
 

-o-

 

            The apartment building Junhong and his mom lived in was in a rough area of town. Their apartment was on the fifth floor of a run-down twelve-story building that had been built specifically for lower income families. Junhong’s mom was never home. Jongup moving in with him was the best thing for the both of them. Junhong needed someone to be with him and Jongup had nowhere to go after he aged out of the system.

 

            Daehyun knocked on the grey metal door. Soon after, he heard a muffled, “Coming!” from inside. The door popped open to reveal a very surprised Junhong.

 

            “HYUNG!?” Junhong threw his arms around and squeezed the air out of the defenseless Daehyun.
 

            “Jun...Hong...stop...Young...jae...help!” Daehyun gasped for air.
 

            “Sorry! I’m just happy and surprised to see you!” Junhong was so giddy with excitement he looked ready to pounce on Daehyun again. Before he could pull him into another suffocating hug, Daehyun introduced his friend who was still stunned from Junhong’s explosion.

 

            “Junhong, this is my friend, Youngjae.”

 

            Daehyun motioned to Youngjae, who gave a shy smile and a short wave. Junhong turned back towards Daehyun with wide eyes.

 

            “You found him! That’s great hyung! Come on in, Jongup is inside taking a nap on the couch.” Junhong ushered the two in the small apartment. The cramped hallway was stark. The white paint was peeling and there were multiple small holes in the walls where it looked like pictures once hung. The hall opened up to a combination kitchen, living room, and dining room area. To the right was the small kitchen that consisted of a few cabinets and a hotplate. The dining area had an old wooden café set that looked like it had been picked up off the street. The living room on the left was merely a small loveseat, a reclining chair, and television that had an antenna covered in tin foil protruding from the top.

            Jongup lay passed out on the red and brown plaid couch. He was wearing a wrinkled white dress shirt that was ed at the top and black dress pants. The sleeping figure rustled a bit as the three stepped into the room.

 

            “He had kind of a rough day…he got fired from his job. The restaurant that he was working at said that they didn’t need him anymore, so they let him go.” Junhong whispered as he looked down at the figure with caring eyes.

 

            Jongup moved again. His eyes flickered open, and his gaze fell on Junhong with a questioning look.

 

            “Who are you talking to?” Jongup’s voice was hoarse and still sounded half asleep.

 

            “Daehyun and his friend Youngjae are here! Get up!”

 

            “Daehyun?” Jongup sat up and looked over towards the two visitors. “Daehyun, welcome back!” The now fully awake boy took his old friend into a tight hug, but didn’t suffocate him like Junhong did earlier. After letting go, Jongup turned towards Youngjae bowing shallowly. “It is nice to meet you.”

 

            “It is nice to meet you too.” Youngjae smiled and returned the gesture.

 

            Junhong motioned to the seats as he took his place on the floor, “Come and sit down! How was Seoul? How are you doing?” Then suddenly his smile dropped, “Wait, why are you back so soon? You said you wouldn’t be able to come back for a lot longer than this…”

 

            Jongup took a seat in the chair next to where Junhong was sitting, and Youngjae and Daehyun sat beside each other on the loveseat. “What? I can’t come back and see my friends? I missed you guys too much!” Daehyun reached out to ruffle Junhong’s hair a little before boy pulled away from his hand.

 

            “Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad you guys are here, but why…?”


Okay, let's be honest. I have no excuses for not updated on time and I can't keep a deadline. So, I hope this chapter was worth waiting for! Junhong and Jongup are finally introduced! Yay! So from here on out, the next chapter will be released around two weeks from now. I'm not going to set a specific date anymore. So, don't forget to comment and subscribe! Also, don't forget to follow me on tumblr here. If you don't want to subscribe or follow, then you can always check on updates about the story here.