Partner

From Me To You

 

The rain was pouring heavily on my glass window. Stucked in my loose pajamas and woven grey sweater as I sipped my hot jasmine tea. I hugged my knees as I felt the coldness enveloped me, not only my body but also my worn out heart.

 

While tracing a droplet of water ran down on the glass window, the sound of the doorbell echoed inside the empty house, bouncing from wall to wall. I stood up and ran to get it.I saw a familiar beautiful face while stealing a look at the peephole. I opened the door and was surprised as he wrapped his arms around me and gave me a warm hug.

 

I pulled out from his hug and furrowed my eyebrows.

“Care to explain why you are here?” I asked, crossing my arms.

“Have you forgotten, we will review Physics...” he said pouting cutely. I slapped my forehead when I remembered it.

“Oh! Yeah I forgot about it…come in…” I let him in and closed the door.

 

Luhan and I had been the best tandem as long as we can remember. Partners in hosting, teammates in competitions and we’re both journalists. We have the same likes and dislikes and hang out together most of the time, because of that, we’re frequently teased by our classmates that we can make a good couple.  

 

It might be good to be true but then it’s still just a dream and that dream shuttered when Luhan confessed to me that he's courting someone else. And as his martyr friend, I helped him out to please his girl and tried to become happy for him.

 

(Flashback)

 

I was listening to some songs in my IPod while writing a feature story for the campus paper when he happily sat across the table with a big smile. I raised a brow and eyed him removing one of my earplugs.

 

“What’s up, you seemed so happy?” I asked curiously.

“I have good news Yza---” he sang, smiling widely reaching his ears.

“So what is it?” I asked him as my curiosity intensifies.

“Iya-shi, she allowed me to court her!” he gladly replied.

“What?” I asked raising my voice a pitch higher as if I hadn’t completely understood what he was talking about.

“I said, Iya-shi allowed me to court her---, isn’t that nice Yza?---” he chanted.

“Oh…alright congrats…” I dully replied and went back to write.

 

He lined his brows, stood up and sat beside me. He’s so close that I moved few inches away but he narrowed the space between us. I was surprised when he grabbed my shoulders and turned me to face him. My eyes widened when he placed the back of his palm on my forehead then on my neck then back on my forehead again.

 

“Are you sick?” he concernedly said while examining me.

 

I removed his hand and went back on my writing.

“I’m not sick, alright!” I said raising a voice.

He jolted and felt a bit scared at my action.

“Then what’s the problem?” he said on a soft quivering voice.

 

I sighed deeply and patted his head.

It’s better that you don’t know anything rather than slowly being killed by few hints that you know. 

I thought trying to make an eye contact but he’s eyes didn’t want to meet mine.

 

“Don’t worry Lulu… it’s nothing, maybe I’m just irritated because I can’t come up with good words for this story” I replied and faked a smile while my heart was being crumpled.

 

He smiled happily again.

“Then…can you come with me to the town center after school?” he asked trying to convince me with his sparkling doe eyes.

“I’m sorry Lulu but I’m doing something else after classes…” I said and started writing again.

 

He frowned and hugged my waist tightly, resting his cheek on my shoulder.

“Please…” he begged.

“No, no, no~~~” I sang and picked his nose.

 

He frowned even more. 

“Really?” He said and started tickling my sides.

“Yes, Kris and I will make our project since Pat, Forte and Rho will be busy after class…” I said in between my laughter and he stopped tickling me and crossed his arms.

“Kris, Kris, Kris, Always Kris!” he blabbed and rolled his eyes.

 

I took a lungful of air. 

“Alright, tomorrow after our review, promise!” I said.

 

He beamed.

“Yes! You’ll help to find something for Iya-shi then?” he asked and winked at me.

“Huh? Find something for Iya? Ah… Okay I’ll help you” I approved though I’m kind of disappointed.

“I love you partner…” he whispered on my ear and hugged my waist.

 

I slapped his arm as my heart skipped a beat when he said those words.

_________________________________

He sat comfortably on the sofa and pulled out the modules from his bag, he seemed excited.

“Do you want a cup of tea and cookies?” I asked him but he didn’t respond and started answering a module instead. 

 

So I get two cups of tea and cookies and placed it on the table.

“This is mine?” he asked looking at the plate of cookies.

“Yup… I made the cookies last night and that’s your favorite chocolate chipped with oats” I said while fixing my hair to a bun.

“If you made them then these are delicious!” he smiled and munched one while inputting some numbers on the calculator. Well I don’t fail to impress Luhan when it comes to baking and cooking since he doesn’t know how to cook and bake.

 

I joined him and answered the modules. He finished first and he grabbed a magazine under the table. I heard a paper being ripped and saw that he detached a page of my favorite K-pop magazine and started folding it.

“What the hell! You’re making an origami out of my favorite magazine?!” I confronted him angrily.

 

That’s my favorite magazine that featured Shinee and he just made a page of it into an origami. He continued folding it and made a boat ignoring me. My faced softened when I saw him smile like a child when he's satisfied on his work. He detached another page and gave it to me. I raised a brow eyeing the piece of glossy paper.

“Make your own paper boat too…” he said still handing me the piece of paper.

“Ok…” I just agreed and made my own not to start any conversation.

 

When I finished mine he stood up and pulled me outside until we reached the small waterway at the back of the house. The rain had stopped and the sun was now peeping behind the dark clouds. Luhan seemed quiet today, I look at him as he laid his paper boat on the surface of the water. I coolly placed mine when his boat reached my place so both of the boats were rowing together.

 

“I remember we exactly did this on that day when we became friends on our grade school days” he spoke while staring on the boats.

“You still remember that? Lulu, seriously?” I asked him teasingly.

“How can I forget that day when I met my best partner” he said turning his gaze to me.

 

His stare was unusual, his eyes, it’s full of sincerity. My heart started to pound strangely and I’m obviously blushing. He grasped my hand and pulled me to a hug.

“Lulu?” I managed to speak to decrease my tenseness.

“Just be my partner forever, please…” he said.

 

His manly scent, his tight hug and warm breath touching my bare neck sent bolts of shock on my entire body. My brain can’t process the things he just said and I just left it hanging. 

“Look, they’re also hugging like us!” he gawked childishly while pointing at the two boats trapped between two stones.

He smiled at me.

Why is my best friend so handsome, kind and sweet.

I thought as I caressed his cheek and I smiled back at him.

_____________________________________________

 

Like I promised we both went to the town center to buy something for Iya. I’m on my plain jeans and T-shirt with my hair fixed into a messy bun. I’m not the type of girl who’s girly and loves things like gifts, stuff and so on. After a few minutes of walking, we found an accessory shop and entered it.

 

I gave everything that I know a girl would like and let him choose from it. I wandered around the shop as he choose from the accessories I selected that probably will fit Iya’s personality. While wandering, I reached a secluded part of the shop and scanned the items on the accessory stand. I found a beautiful bracelet.

 

“You like it? Try it out” Luhan said from behind.

“No need…” I said and placed it back to the stand.

He got it and grabbed my arm. He clasped the bracelet and stared at it.

“It fits on you, really beautiful!” he beamed.

“Lulu… I won’t buy it okay…” I refused and unclasped it from my wrist.

“Then I will buy it then…” he said and went into the counter.

Don’t tell me, he will give it to Iya, I found it first!. I yelled on my thoughts.

__________________________________________

 

He dropped me home after having a sumptuous dinner that he funded since I fulfilled my promise. I hurriedly climbed to my room and had a warm bubble bath. After that I wore comfortable clothes, get my diary from my drawer and a pen.

This was the diary I kept since the first year of high school and here I wrote every special thing that happened to me and this day was included as one of the special things I should write.

_______________________________________

 

It has been a hectic week and all contestants were pulled out from their classes to review for the competition. Well, at last we will leave tomorrow morning to the venue of the 3-day Science Fare. Luhan and I will be competing for four categories, quiz bee, trivia, odyssey and investigatory project. We are teammates for the first three and rivals on the later.

 

I’m packing my things when my phone rang. Kris’ name registered on it. Kris was one of my group mates on our investigatory project.

 

“Hello Kris, Wazzup?” I held my phone to my ear and pinned it between my shoulder and cheek.

“Hello Yza! I’ll pick you up tomorrow, I mean...also Pat, Forte and Rho” he said.

 “Why? No need to pick us up” I replied while folding the clothes that I will bring.

“Ah…for the reason that… you guys have what we needed for the investigatory project, Yeah that’s it!” he anxiously explained.

“Oh…okay see you tomorrow” I heard his bye and I ended the line.

 

I continued packing my things and double-checked it but something was missing.

 

“Ah! My dearest diary!” I exclaimed and took it from my drawer.

__________________________________________