Goodbye Sweetheart

For Her

"Are you really sure you are gonna do this?" asked the doctor.
"Yes. I am." he replied.
"The risk for this operation are high, to an extent your life probably be in danger." the doctor explained.
"I thoroughly understood and therefore I still stick to my decision." Min Woo said.
"Ok, if that's your wish... Operation will commence in 2 days time. SInce you just donated blood, it's not wise to have the operation now. Meanwhile, I'll try my best to prolong Eric-sshi's condition." the doctor said.
"And....since you gotten grace period of 2 days, if there's anything unresolved in your life that you want to settle, I suggest that you do it while you still can. Situation can get out of control sometimes." he added.

Min Woo wandered across the streets, aimlessly.
Then, he passed by a wedding gallery and saw the wedding gown display. He thought the gown was so wonderful. He touched the glass panel and as he imagined her in the dress, his eyes became teary. He gradually collapsed to the ground as he felt so overwhelmed and literally burst in tears.

"If i were to choose between making you happy or making you sad, I'll sure choose the first. Yet, good things always come with a price, by trading my life for your happiness. I guess that is the main purpose of my life. If i'm not gonna do this, who else will? Bora, sometimes I wondered how good it is if you are able to hear what my heart is trying to convey to you. But it's just my wishful thinking. The person you love is not me. Yet, I can't get you off my mind. You know how important you are in my life? Not just as a friend. I wish you knew that. No, I think all along you knew but it never crossed your mind. It feels like both of us are trying to run away from the truth. The truth that I love you."

"I had a very good sleep yesterday night. It was one of the night where I felt at peace."

By the next morning, the letter that was meant for Bora has completed. He put it inside the envelope and went out to the florist.
"Can I request something?" he asked the florist.
"What can I help you with sir?" she asked.
"Will it be possible if you send a bouquet of sunflowers on every 30 Jan each year? Preferably in the afternoon. From now onwards." he asked.
"Erm, that seems hard, sir." she said regretfully.
"Please accede to my request. I really hope that you will able to help me with this. I'm able to help you." he begged.
She looked hesitant. It's a service she never provided in the first place.
"Umm.." 
"Please. I'm begging you. Help me. Only this time." he begged again.
"Until when?" she asked.
"As long as you can. It will be better if it never ends." he said.
"Let me calculate." she took her calculator. Min Woo looked at her, then to the calculator, then looked at her again, waiting for her answer.
"Ok, can. Sure. But if you wish to cancel anytime, inform me beforehand." she said.
"I don't intend to cancel in the first place. Anyway, here." He handed over a letter.
"I see that you provide Flower+Letter Delivery package. This letter, I need you to send on the first year." said Min Woo with a smile.

He headed to the columbarium where he paid his respect to Bora's grandma.
"Bora, someday, if we were to meet again, this time I'll pray that we will able to be together. Maybe in this lifetime, we were not meant to be for each other, but I'm certain one day, we will meet again and fall in love with each other.The thought of it makes me feel happy even though I'm not able to see it."

That day, he admitted into the hospital because he need to undergo a routine to ensure he's not suffering from any fever otherwise the operation need to be cancelled. He was sitting on the bed, facing the window as he looked at the clear sky that afternoon. That time, the doctor came in to have a talk with him.

"Pretty." Min Woo was startled.
"Yeah, The sky is so clear today. My first time seeing it." he said as he continued to look at the sky.
"Pardon me for being a busybody, that woman outside the ER room, is not merely your friend right?" the doctor asked.
Min Woo just smiled.
"Why didnt you tell her about this?" he asked again.
"Because I knew she won't let me do this if i tell her." he replied.
"Doctor, promise me a thing." he added.
"What is it?" he asked.
"Whatever happens, you must save Eric. He needs to survive this operation." he gave a serious look as he said those words.
"Min Woo-sshi..."
"Promise me." he turned back to look at the sky that has captivated him so much.

That night, he was feeling so bored, alone in the ward. He decided to go out for a stroll. Since he can't eat nor drink, taking a breather was another alternative. As he strolled at the park, he saw Bora was sitting alone at a bench nearby. he quickly hid behind a tree as he stood from afar, watching her. It hurts him to see her in that kind of condition. Bora was obviously crying at that moment. SHe kept wiping her tears which never failed to stop. Min Woo decided to head back in.

He sat at the same bench where he overheard Bora's prayers previously. He was in a deep thought when suddenly, he felt someone was standing beside him. He turned to see a man dressed in a white, long-sleeved button shirt with long black pants and shoes. He looked very kempt yet he has this babyface features which made him look very young in that mature dressing.

"May I sit here?" he asked.
"Umm, yeah sure." Min Woo shifted to make way for him. At that time, he felt a little bit out of sorts as to why this man approached him out of the sudden.
"I'm Andy." He introduced himself.
"Oh..okayy.." Min Woo started to feel uneasy.
"Chill, I'm here with no ulterior motives." He held up both of his hands.
"You looked troubled. Do you have something you are unable to let go?" he asked.
"How did you know?" He turned to him.
"Oh, I'm just guessing. Tell me, perhaps you will feel better." he said.
"I can't bear to leave her. I still wish to be her guardian angel. But things has come to this point where I have to make the decision." he confessed.
"Listen, we can only plan but HE decide it all. He decide what is the best is for his people. So when it has come to that decision, think of it as a gift from him." he said.
"Heard of this saying "there's a second chance in loving someone"? he asked.
He shook his head.
This is your first chance in loving her, right?" he asked.
He nodded as he looked down the floor
"Then, there's remaning 1 chance left. It will happen someday. Mark my words." he said.
"But..how?" Just in time, he turned to find Andy was not there. He's gone. Min Woo turned his head, left and right but there's no one in sight. Just him, in that dark place. He decided to head back to the room as he found himself to be increasingly uncomfortable.

The day has come. He was put on the stretcher and as the nurses wheeled him into the ER room, he look at each of the lights as he passed each of them as he moved forward. Before he knew, he was already in the room. The doctor was busy preparing themselves while Min Woo turned to see an unconscious Eric laying still on the operating table. Then, his eyes gradually started to close soon after he was anaesthetised.

"Eric, somehow I'm thankful that you entered Bora's life. My life has been extraordinary, able to meet Bora, able to fall in love with her, able to be friend with her, able to share almost everything with her, able to do something for her...."

"Doctor, his blood pressure is going down!" one of the nurses shouted.

"I think it's time I entrust her to you. She needs you more than me. She will be happy being with you. I have heard her prayers and I'm sure both of you will live your lives with full of happiness."

"HIS HEART STOPPED BEATING!" The doctor performed CPR on him several times.

"Bora-ah.."

"1,2,3!" Yet, he was unresponsive.

"I love you..."

"Goodbye Sweetheart.."

Soon after, a tear flow down his temples, as the doctor confirmed his passing.


Because I feel that this story need a proper ending, so I kinda last minute write this last chapter for this story. The idea of Andy's presence was an impromptu one. I think this chapter did justice, in my opinion, as to explain what happened to Min Woo. Am I treating Min Woo terribly in this story because I feel guilty for him as I wrote along T_T