Chapter 23

A Thin Line between Hate and Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After Soojong cried to go to toilet because she wanted to pee and Sungjong threw up once again and all the chaos they could have like other normal families before going out, they were on the road, heading to the cemetery. It was a quiet journey. Myungsoo turned his head to his right to check on his darlings. He watched as Soojong cuddled up under her favourite blanket that she insisted to bring it everywhere against Sungjong’s chest. Sungjong was closed his eyes and slouched comfortably on the seat but Myungsoo knew he wasn’t sleeping.

“Sungjong, are you okay?” Myungsoo asked. Sungjong opened his eyes when he heard Myungsoo’s voice calling for him. He smiled. “I’m okay,” he said, and his face fell, a little. If someone didn’t know Sungjong, they wouldn’t have noticed it but Myungsoo did. He had spent enough years watching Sungjong to know everything about his face and no, Myungsoo didn’t stalk Sungjong. He just watched him a lot. Very closely.

Myungsoo didn’t press the matter. He just accepted the answered.

“Myung, don’t forget to stop by at the local grocer to buy a bouquet of flower,” Sungjong reminded him and a nod was the respond Myungsoo gave. When they finally reached their destination, Soojong asked, “Why we stop?”

“We’re here, sweets,” Myungsoo told. “We’re going to meet Uncle Yeol.”

Myungsoo climbed out of the car and took Soojong from Sungjong’s arms. Sungjong took the lilies from the back seat. They walked slowly, Sungjong leading the way as Soojong held Myungsoo’s hand, confused. They walked to the end of a row of headstones to a dark granite one on the end. It was simple and had nothing but his name engraved on it. Tears pricked at Sungjong’s eyes as he knelt in front of it. “Hey, Yeol hyung..” Sungjong said, his voice quivering as he spoke.

Soojong stood at Sungjong’s side and watched in confusion as he swallowed and said, “It's- uh.. it's been 3 years, I’m sorry I took so long but I still think about you all the time. I always will.” Myungsoo stood behind Sungjong, just barely close enough to hear him. His heart was breaking with every word that fell from Sungjong’s lips. Sungjong cleared his throat and continued, “Well, today is your birthday.. and I don’t know.. happy birthday?” he broke a nervous laugh.

Sungjong turned to look at his daughter, his eyes glassy with tears. She cocked her head to the side. She tugged Myungsoo’s pants. Myungsoo squatted and she whispered in his ear. She asked, confused, “Umma talks to rock?”

“Sweets, this is your Uncle Yeol,” Myungsoo said, whispering. “Where?” she asked innocently. “Under the rock.”

She looked more confused. “Why he lives there?”

“Because he’s dead, sweets.” Soojong blinked. She took a look at the surrounding. “This place we called as cemetery. A place dead people ‘live’,” Myungsoo explained. “Now, be a good girl for us and we'll get you some ice cream later, okay?” she nodded silently. She looked confound and had no idea why the mood was so somber; usually being around her parents was fun.

“Yeol hyung, this is my family,” Sungjong said softly. “Words can’t describe how much I value the most beautiful gift you gave me. You had given me another chance, another reason to live. Without you, there’s no Soojong or Myungsoo for me.”

Myungsoo felt his own eyes welling with tears a little at the whole situation. “I lost you but I got two in returns,” Sungjong cried. “Sometimes, I thought that wasn’t even fair,” Sungjong took a shaky breath and said, “Thank you, hyung. Really thank you for everything. As you have said to me, I’ll be happy for you, for myself, for the people I love and who loves me because I’m a warrior.”

Slowly Soojong pried her hand away from Myungsoo and walked over to Sungjong. She tried her best to wrap her little arm around his back and she rested her head on his shoulder, her hair tickling his chin. “Umma, no cry,” she said softly.

Myungsoo smiled sadly as Sungjong turned and hugged her properly. “Thanks, Soojong,” Sungjong told her as she squeezed around his neck, hugging him close. “One day you'll understand, sweetie.”

He was surprised that Soojong was so perceptive at her age, but it made him feel better knowing she wanted him to be happy. They hugged for what felt like forever, Soojong being the most patient she had been in a while. Finally it felt to Sungjong like it had been long enough; Sungyeol knew they were there and he felt better about everything. “I love you, Yeol hyung, and I'll be back again. I promise,” Sungjong said softly. Just before he setting the lilies on the ground, Soojong quickly took one.

She put the lily after her mother. “Appa said you’re nice. And I like nice people. I hope you’ll like me too, Uncle Yeol,” she smiled. Sungjong felt his heart swelling in his chest; he hadn't expected Soojong to say anything like that. She was still little but she was so strong, healthy and clever. The smile seemed to transfer to Sungjong, which was good because Myungsoo hated seeing Sungjong so upset.

“I’ll meet haraboji. I’ll come again to meet you, Uncle Yeol. Bye bye,” she waved cutely. Myungsoo took her in his arms. Sungjong took a last glance before slowly turned and started walking back to the car. Myungsoo’s free hand finding Sungjong’s almost instantly. Myungsoo was proud of him. Sungjong was stronger than he thought. He should not underestimate his wife or ever again next time, Myungsoo mental-noted. Sungjong smiled to Myungsoo and Myungsoo replied the smile. There were no words needed.

“Hoya hyung?” Soojong said. They stopped and looked at Soojong’s way.  It was true as Soojong said. Hoya was sitting alone in front of a grave, staring at the tombstone, looking so broken. “Myung, give me a minute. I want to meet Hoya hyung,” Myungsoo nodded. “And sweetie, it’s Uncle Hoya for you,” Sungjong corrected the kid.

She grinned. Sungjong kissed her cheek before made his way to Hoya.

Sungjong stopped beside Hoya. “Hello, hyung.” But there was no reaction from the other guy yet he recognized the voice without needed to look at the owner. It belonged to Sungjong. After awhile, little hesitant he sat next to his former employer.

“I dreamt of her last night,” Hoya started. Sungjong took Hoya’s hands in his.

Wow, tough day for both of us, huh? Sungjong thought in his head while patted the older guy’s hands warmly, soothingly way as he always did it when he was still working at Hoya’s bookstore.

Even though, before, he never knew about love; about two different people became one, enjoying each other company, missing like crazy when they weren’t next to us, starting planning a future in head, feeling the butterflies in stomach, getting nervous and clumsy for nothing, willing to do just everything and anything to prove the love and all that jazz. He was never been in love to experience such beautiful things and he never knew how it felt to lose somebody we can’t live without. Nevertheless, Sungjong was always there for Hoya, listening to him, helping him in any way he could.

Sungjong never met her, but it felt like he had known this girl for ages from Hoya’s tales about her. Somehow, Sungjong could see her in his imagination. Long black hair, small gorgeous eyes, pointy nose, cute pouty red lips, 5’5 tall, milky white skin, perfect body frame; she was a goddess. Only that, she was blind.

Her name was Song Daeun. She was only 21 years old when she died and engaged to Hoya.

Car crash. 

A drunk driver.

That was what took her away from Hoya.

But Hoya always blames himself for everything happened.

If he were patient enough to meet her.

If he were not calling her from across the street.

If he were thinking more of her.

If..

Hoya knew a blind person depends on their senses more than a normal person does. The touch, the hearing, the instinct. Hoya knew but why would he called her when she was about to cross the road? Why he was so eager to meet her, to have her in his arms when they were just met two days before? Why he missed her so much that he never thought what it feels like to miss someone forever?

They should meet at their favourite café house. The date for that day was not just because they weren’t seeing each other for two days, but also that day was special because it was their second anniversary. “And counting,” she said cheerfully to Hoya over the phone, in the middle of the night, a night before the date, a night before she died.

Hoya saw she was coming. She was in black skinny jeans, oversized red long sleeved tee on top with white undershirt, hair fell down perfectly, red polka dot shoes and a brand new handbag Hoya got for her on her birthday last month slung over her shoulder. She looked lovely than ever. That was one of the reasons why Hoya loved her because she was simple. Hoya was not a big fan of complicated, that was why Hoya chose her in spite of she was blind. Hoya didn’t care.

Wide grin splitting Hoya’s face into two, he quickened his pace. He pulled out his phone from his back pocket and gave her a call. Hoya didn’t want to take his eyes off of her but he was walking pass a bridal boutique which at that time displayed a very gorgeous wedding dress.

Gorgeous but simple.

That should fit his lovely Daeun perfectly. He stood there, looking at the dress while teasing his fiancée over the phone, telling her how beautiful she will look in that white dress, walking to him who was waiting at the aisle nervously. He still could see her reflection beyond the boutique’s glass window as they were talking.

And suddenly, everything went so blur, and so fast.

A crashing sound was heard, shrieked, gritted, and shattered Hoya’s eardrums. A shock feeling was crept to him, and suddenly it changed into fear... A blare of an accident was happening right behind him, right the place where his perfect lovely angel was standing.

A fear, that something bad would happen to his Daeun as he heard more. Hoya froze, couldn’t dare to look back, and couldn’t find a brave to know what had happened. Panic screams from all the passengers, murmur sounds of hysteria and terror of the hidden darkness into his ears.

A shout that caught by him, told the other passenger, that someone, a girl was stricken by drunk driver’s car and crashed hardly. It couldn’t be her, right? No, not his lovely Daeun. But, he saw everything, everything from that boutique’s glass window. He just could not bring himself to look back.

Suddenly Hoya’s legs became jelly and he crashed down to the ground after his phone without a second his eyes blink or leave the scene behind him. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter