Chapter Five

It all Started with Failed Aegyo

~~~~~~~

After what seemed like years of being stared at in class, it was finally lunchtime. My stomach growled loudly when I realized I hadn't brought food. Dang it! Now I have to eat gross cafeteria food.

I followed the crowd of people to the lunchroom, hoping to get there before all the decent options were gone. But when I stepped inside, I wasn't greeted with the usual fluorescent lighting and sweaty smell. The room was enormous and refreshing, with skylights letting in natural light and cute cafe tables everywhere. 

'It looks like a dream.' I thought, curious as to why the school spends their money on this. But I don't mind. I joined the lunch line and grabbed kimchi and kimbap before it was all gone.

I glanced around for a moment when I realized that I knew no one here, so I had no place to sit. I considered eating in the bathroom, but that seemed silly. Maybe with my sister... but her friends would get annoyed.

"Yah, Rose. You coming or what?" I turned and saw Zelo waving at me from a bigger table directly underneath a skylight. He ran over and grabbed my hand, pulling me over to where he and his friends were sitting. My heart sped up, and I begged it to slow down. I could feel my face growing hot as I felt stares from half the school's girl population. I'm not sure why.

I could hear them whisper threats as I passed.

"Who the hell is that girl?"

"Who does she think she is?"

"I swear I'm gonna kill her if she gets any closer to my princes."

Oh, so they're the rulers of the school. Suddenly the group of blondies didn't seem so nice.

"Zelo, I-"

"What did I tell you to call me?" He had a goofy smile on his face, and I got the urge to smack it off.

I groaned. "Joonie-oppa, I'd prefer to sit by myself, and not with you and your friends."

"No, you're sitting with us. The hyungs wanted to meet you."

"How do they even know about me? We were in class the whole time." And why would they want to meet me anyway, I thought to myself.

"Have you forgotten about our chance encounter?" We reached the table and he yanked me into the seat next to him, getting a little too close for my liking.

I turned forward to see five pairs of eyes staring at me intently. 

"So this is your girl, Zelo?" One of them said. He smiled at me and I found he had a gummy smile. It was pretty funny, so I couldn't help but smile myself.

"Ohh, she's cute. Hello there, I'm Himchan. What's your name?" 

"Hyung, stop flirting with her. She's Zelo's girl." I tried to interrupt him so I could set the record straight, because I am definitely not Zelo's girl, but he just kept talking.

"I'm Jongup, that's Daehyun," He pointed to a shy-looking guy wearing a mask. Weird. Who wears a mask in winter?

"Hyung, introduce yourself." He tried to get his friend to talk, and the guy muttered, "I'm Youngjae."

"And I'm Yongguk." the gummy smile guy stated, and I noticed he had a really deep and loud voice. He certainly makes a big impression.

"So how long have you and our little Zelo been together?" Jongup asked, smirking just slightly.

I got annoyed. They didn't seem to get that I wasn't dating Zelo. 

"Listen, I don't know why you guys think this, but I'm not, and will never be Zelo's girl. He's a classmate."

"Sure, sure. You don't have to tell us twice. We know the truth." The one named Himchan said. I suddenly got really irritated and I snapped.

"I'm not dating him, nor do I want to, nor do I plan to. We're just friends!" And with that, I grabbed my bag and stormed out, this time ignoring the whispers that had gotten louder, meaner, more vicious. I couldn't care less what they thought of me now, I just wanted to get away.

I sensed Zelo following me, so I picked up my pace and dashed outside, ducking into a rose bush against the school's brick wall.

I had this strange urge to cry, because this was the first time I have ever been that dramatic. But before I could even tear up, the leaves of the bush rustled and Zelo attempted to sit with me. He was too tall to fit, so his head stuck above the leaves, which looks pretty funny, so I had to giggle a little bit.

"I knew I could make you smile if you gave me the chance." The little glimpse of elation on my face dripped off like candle wax, and my hardened exterior returned.

"Why do you just keep turning up? I mean, why you?" "Why not me?" The simple statement had me reeling. Why not him? If someone was to enter my life, why not him?

"Let's go back." He pulled me up and we walked back to the cafe, not even noticing his hand was still in mine.

~~~~~~~

Hello and sorry! I was going to update yesterday but I had wayyy too much to do. So, I have bad news. My school is kicking back up again, getting much harder, and with that and being the assistant costumer on an entire musical, and writing a play for my acting group, and figure skating, and just existing, I won't be able to update often. And I know I already don't update often, but oh well. Sorry.