Chapter Two

It all Started with Failed Aegyo

~~~~~~~ Zelo

I woke up on the floor of Yongguk-hyung's living room. The clock on the wall read noon. My back ached like crazy as I sat up and saw everyone else already awake. Jongup-hyung and Daehyun-hyung were playing Mariokart, Youngjae-hyung was on the couch reading, and Himchan-hyung was texting someone with a creepy smile on his face. But Yongguk-hyung was nowhere to be found. I stumbled sleepily into the kitchen and found him there, searching the cabinets for something to eat.

"Zelo-yah, go get us some ramyun from the store." Hyung said in his most commanding voice. He always seemed more strict than he was, but I was sick and tired of getting things for them.

"No, get Jonguppie-hyung to do it." Hyung glared at me in a way that could scare the living daylights out of anyone.

"Jongup got us ice cream yesterday. Now it's your turn." The look on his face was beginning to get to me, but I was not in the mood to go out right after waking up. It was time for my last resort- aegyo. 

Bracing myself for a moment of self-hate, I pulled my fists close to my face, opened my eyes wide, and said "Buing buing!" 

Hyung was not amused. "Nice try," he remarked, ruffling my hair and leaving the kitchen. Guess I have to leave now, I thought. Aishh, so tiresome...

~~~~~~~ Rose

Kimmie and Jaehyun took my luggage with them and gave me their address, since I wanted to look around the city. I wandered aimlessly for a while, eventually reaching the Han river.

Staring out at the water, I thought of my mother. This was her home country. What if I meet her while I'm here? My mind lingered on her for a while, before I came to my senses and pushed her out of my mind. Go Miyeon has ruined my life once already, she can't ruin it again.

Even with the prospect of meeting her, coming to Korea was a new beginning for me. I could start over and become my own person without dwelling on the past. That same thought is what got me through those first few nights without Dad. A new beginning had been my only hope. 

I noticed it was getting dark, so I took the slip of paper with their address on it from my pocket, when I realized I had no idea where the heck this place was. I considered asking for directions, when I remembered what Dad had always said city-dwellers were like: loud, pushy, aggressive, and in no way helpful. Sure, it might be a narrow-minded view, but it was what Dad taught me, and I had never questioned him.

My stomach growled, and I jumped, shocked by the sudden sound. I hadn't eaten in hours. Looking around, I saw a small stand on the street selling what seemed to be fish on a stick. It smelled delicious, so I went up and bought one, finishing it in a matter of seconds. The ahjumma selling them gave me another one for free, saying "You are very pretty, but you need to eat more." If she didn't have such a kind expression on her face, I would have refused, but it was clear she was doing this out of the goodness of her heart. I accepted it gratefully with a low bow.

Seoul is a very kind place. Maybe living here for a while will be nice. I thought, finally making some sense.

~~~~~~~ Zelo

I had arrived at the store at one o'clock, but the hyungs kept texing me things that they wanted until I had walked dozens of laps around the store, finally leaving four hours later.

I stepped out just as the sun set, leaving this side of the world in darkness. As a kid, I had wondered if the sun liked shining on one side of Earth better than on the other. I was smart enough to know that of course the sun couldn't actually think, but I was still able to imagine. Silly things like that don't concern me anymore.

The dark always brought out my inner me; the one that feels nauseous from the emptiness, so alone it hurts to think, to even speak a word. All I could do was turn on the lights and hope it would go away.

I quickened my pace, determined to get home. I ran past the river, past dozens of people, past a little fish cake stand. 

I wasn't even paying attention when it happened. 

The encounter.

~~~~~~~