chapter 2

Escape

 

          We’ve been walking for a while now the sun is starting to go down but Eli and Kevin say we have to keep going or we won’t be able to get away before the Nano-cops and the soldiers figure out were still missing and come find us. Olivia tugs on my hand “I’m tired” she says to me. I hadn’t noticed that she had been limping a little, but before I can say anything Eli sneaks up behind her and puts her on his back. Olivia rests her head on his shoulder and we keep on moving forward.

          When I look over at Olivia again she is sleeping, we had reached our next safe spot. Alexander starts a fire and everyone else starts to prepare the food while the children sit around the fire cuddled together. Olivia had woken up but instead of sitting with the other children, she was cuddled against Eli.  Eli was saying something to Olivia and Olivia would giggle now and then; I smile and eat the bit of vegetables and beans I got.

While everyone is sleeping I get up and walk away from where our sleep ground is I need to be alone to think. I think about why they would want to capture us, and why it was always the people in our town, it wasn’t everyone though, just some of us and I could tell that they knew who they were taking way before they even took us, how else would they know our names? I hear a noise behind me and I jump and turn around quickly, it’s Eli.

“Hey there.” he says sliding his hands to the back of his head. “Can’t sleep either?” he comes and sits next to me.

“No, my thoughts are keeping me up.” I say looking over at Eli. “Have you ever wondered why they always choose people from our village? And why they always know so much about us when they come for us?” Eli stays quiet for a moment.

“Now that you bring it up, it is kind of weird… I’m sure we’ll figure it out later in time, but for now let’s go to sleep, we have a long day ahead of us tomorrow.” He grabs my hand and helps me up then he smiles and rests his hand on my shoulder.

          I wake up the sound of screams and to Eli shaking me furiously trying to wake me. “GET UP CLAIRE! WE HAVE TO GO NOW!” he says in between sobs while he slides an arm around my waist and he starts dragging me away from the place we had been sleeping at. I look back at the little camp ground we had set up and see three soldiers and two Nano-cops; they had killed the women that had been with us, her husband and one of her children  I close my eyes and press my face against Elis shoulder at the sight of a soldier cutting off Alexander’s head Oh god. I think to my self

          We don’t stop running till we reach the ends of the woods; there are tall beautiful buildings with lights like I’ve never seen before with beautiful street lights and cute little trees that adorn the sidewalks. I look up at Eli and see his puffed red eyes from crying.

“Are you ok? Why were you crying? Where is Olivia?” I ask him while I look around and notice that there are only four of us left, Eli, Kevin, Another girl and I. He shrugs and presses the palms of his hands to his eyes.

 “She’s gone, to a better place now.” he says biting his lip trying not to cry.

“Oh” I say to him and rest my head on his shoulder “I’m sorry.” Eli rests his hand over mine and grabs it gently.

“It’s alright; I just got too attached to her much too quickly”