Chapter 1

Escape

I’m running through the woods as fast as I can. My legs want to give in but my brain forces me to keep going. I can hear the Nano-cops behind me shooting and people screaming when they get caught. Sweat runs down my body soaking the hospital gown I’m wearing. I’m not the only one who has escaped there is thirty others; chaos has broken loose around us. I smell the burning of trees and hear and see missiles falling from the mother ships up in the air trying to capture us. A soldier teleports in front of me and grabs me, I let out a scream, I squirm and kick trying to get away. The soldier lets go and falls to his knees Eli my best friend had hit the soldier with a tree trunk on the back of the head. Eli grabs my hand and we start running again.

When we finally reach the safety of a cave there are only nine of us left. We hadn’t left the lab unprepared, we brought food and blankets in a back pack. Eli comes up behind me and wraps a blanket around me then he sits next to me. His snow white hair falls in front of his eyes, barely letting me see the dark brown color of his big eyes. His olive white skin looks beautiful, even now in these circumstances I can tell how handsome he is.

“Are you alright?” he asks me smiling and sliding a strand of my long brown hair behind my ear. Eli and I have been friends since we were kids; we grew up together in a little village near Ashville, in North Carolina.

“Yes.”, I tell him resting my head on his shoulder. Everything outside seemed to have calmed down, the Nano-cops and soldiers most likely thought they caught us all. We would sleep tonight and then leave in the early morning to find civilization while we still had time.

“Hi” says a little girl to me. “What’s your name? I’m Olivia I’m five” she says showing me her age with her little hand. I smile and poke her nose, she giggles.

“I’m Claire.” I say to her as she sits up on my lap. “Where are your parents?” I ask her. She shrugs and points at sleeping Eli.

“He told me not to worry and that my parents are ok.” I smile a little and braid her blonde hair.

“I see.” I say looking over at Eli smiling. He had always been a caring person, he always helped out whoever he could and that’s what made him so special. I look down at Olivia and smile, she had fallen asleep on my lap, and I fall asleep shortly after.

          I wake up in the morning to the smell of food; I walk over to where everyone else is rounded around a fire.

“Good morning.” says Eli to me smiling offering me some canned beans “Would you like some?” I take the plate from him and smile while nodding.

“Good eat up, we will be leaving soon in the meantime while you ladies eat Kevin, Alexander and I will pack everything up and get ready to go.” I smile and look up at the three handsome men.

          Before leaving we all change into jeans and a shirt that we had brought along with us in the bags as well. The sun shines down on my face and I close my eyes, I feel Olivia’s hand in mine so I look down at her and smile gripping her hand a little.

“Where are we going?” Olivia asks Eli looking up at him, Eli smiles at her and pats her head.

“Somewhere safe little one.” he says to her, Olivia giggles when he pats her head and says “Ok.”