Crisis

Lucky Star (Chanyeol & Kai)

     About a month after I was released from the hospital, I had my first project in music class.

     "Students, today, you'll be assigned a composer. You'll be working in pairs that I will assign." , declared our teacher.

     Everyone slumped back in their seats and quietly groaned.

     "I wonder who I'll get for this project. Hopefully, it's someone who won't be frustratiing to work with." , I whispered over to Jongin.

     "So do I. I want to do well on this." , he replied.

     For the next few moments, our teacher was assigning pairs of students for the project, and one after another each student rolled their eyes at the people that they would be working with. I seriously hoped that I wasn't one of those people.

     "Hailee, you'll be working with...Jongin. The two of you will be making a project on the composer Beethoven."

     I looked over to Jongin and smiled happily.

     In response, he gave me an uncomfortable smirk.

     I wondered why though. He was avoiding me, and acting distant when he just saw me a few weeks ago at the hospital, not to mention each day at school. What was with his mixed signals? Even though it was puzzling, I ignored it, although it didn't stop there.

     Later that day at the lunch table where his friends and my friends sat, I began to discuss our project with him.

     "Oh! Jongin, Do you want to come over my house and get a start on our project today?"

     "Sure." , he replied flatly.

     What is up with him today? Why's he acting like that? it's getting annoying... He better stop or I'll-

     "What project are you two working on?" asked Sofia,pulling me out of my thoughts.

     "It's nothing.." , said Jongin dismissing the subject.

     I cocked an eyebrow out of annoyance. "Jongin and I were assigned a composer project for music class." , I answered.

     "Oh yeah! I have to do that , too. My composer's Tchaikovsky. How about you guys?" , Suho asked us.

     "Beethoven." , mumbled Jongin.

     "Ooh! Sounds fun!" , chimed in Ember.

     "Wait, Hailee.I thought we were going to the mall right after school." , Chanyeol reminded me.

     Darn it... How'd I forget that? I never forget my dates with Channie. Maybe it's just a side effect of my antibiotics. Well, it's a major grade , and it's due by the end of the week. Actually, maybe I don't have to do it all in one day. I'll just work on it a bit for today and do the rest tomorrow.

     "Instead of right after, can I go with you at 4;30?" , I offered.

     "But, you promised right after." , he frowned.

     "I know, but I just need our date to be at a later time.  so I can get a jump start on this project. Is that okay with you?" , I asked.

     "Well... alright then. But, you better be ready at 4:30." , he winked.

     "Great! So, here's my house key. You can just let yourself in since I'll be the only one there besides Jongin." , I explained as I handed him my house key from my bookbag.

     "Alright. I'll see you later on, then." , he said.

     That afternoon,  Jongin came over to my house at 2:30 pm. My parents wouldn't be home for three hours, so we were alone.

     'Annyeong!" , I said kindly as I opened the door.

    "Let's get to work." , he said with apathy as he walked past me. "I brought my laptop and some articles that we could use. So, I have everything ready. So, let's hurry up and do this." , he drawled quickly.

     Alright, I'm getting fed up with this. A while ago, he liked me, even though he thought I couldn't tell. Now, he's the boyfriend of my best friend and basically disregards my existence! What the heck is with this kid?! Ugh, let's not ask him though. He's already in a bad mood and I don't feel like having a conflict.

     Well, that didn't work out too well.

    At around  4:25, the two of us had a small conflict.

     "No, Jongin, I've told you before that we need to have seven sources for this report!" , I exclaimed, frustrated.

     "You're wrong! It has to be eight!" , he yelled.

     "It's not even that serious! So what if it is eight sources? That's the maximum. Seven is perfectly good enough.", I reasoned.

     "'Good enough' is not good enough! You do the most you can to assure having success." , he declared.

     "Success? We will have success because our report is great, not because we had the maximum amount of sources.", I responded,trying to keep calm.

     "You obviously don't understand. There are people who will have eight sources and have flawless writing skills and could have an edge. So, we have to be able to compete with them!" , he explained., raising his voice.

     "Who cares about competing with them? All that matters is that we get an outstanding grade, right?"

     "Whatever... I can't believe I still like you.", he muttered under his breath, rolling his eyes.

     Whoa now. What did he just say?! Did I hear that right? I couldn't have...

     "Jongin... What did you just say?" , I asked seriously.

     Jongin's face had totally blanched the color of the ivory wall behind him. "I... I said nothing." , he lied.

     "Yes you did! I heard you. You said you still like me. Why?" , I pressed.

     He looked at me for a second and sighed, unwillingly dishing out the words he didn't want to verbalize to my face. "I...I still like you, okay?"

     "Why? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have a girlfriend, Sofia. What about her, huh? Since you stress on things being 'good enough' , is she not good enough for you? Hmm?" , I said angrily.

     "No, it's not that, I promise. She is a very unique, smart, and beautiful girl. But, I realized that I still love you. That's why I've been distant from you. I know I've been. But, that was because I thought if I pushed you away, I could get my mind off of you. But, i was wrong. In fact, it made me like you more." , he confessed at last.

     "Jongin, I don't like you! I don't want you! I'm your best friend's girlfriend! I'm Chanyeol's , not yours! " , I protested.

     "We could be together. We could work, I promise. I just want you to... Just.... Just.." , he trailed.

     "Just what?!" , I yelled.

     "Just love me!" , he blurted out.

     "What? No way! I told you I don't want you!" , I hollered.

     The next thing I knew, Jongin took hold of my arms  and pinned me against the wall. He stared at me while I tried to break free as I asked him to release me. Instead, he held both of my wrists with one hand and covered my mouth with the other.

     "Stop fussing. ." , he whispered. Jongin then took his hand off of my mouth and kissed me. Even though he was a good kisser, it didn't feel right. I wanted to push him off of me, but he had me bound. As he pulled away, I felt stunned.  But, I heard something. It was the sound of rain, but the windows weren't open.Next, I heard something drop on the floor. It sounded like a house key.

     Oh my gosh. No. Please no...

     I turned to the right and saw before me Chanyeol with tears in his eyes.

     "Chanyeol... It isn't what it looks like!"

    "Oh , really?! I can't believe you! I thought that you were better than that Hailee! How could you?" , he hollered with tears streaming down his face.

     "Chanyeol , just let me explain, please!" , I begged as I approached him.

     "No! I cannot believe this!", he fumed, slamming the door behind him as he stormed out.

     I ran after him. I couldn't lose Chanyeol. He meant everything to me and losing him was the equivalent of death. So, I sprinted down the street to where he was and tried  to explain everything that happened.

     "Chanyeol! Chanyeol!" , I cried as I ran. I grabbed his shoulder as I got near to him.

     "Yah! Get off of me!" , he shouted.

     "Chanyeol, please! Don't take this wrongly!" , I begged.

     "How could I take it any other way? You just kissed my best friend!"

     "No, I didn't!" , I pleaded. At this point, tears were trickling down my face along with the raindrops from the sky. 'You have to believe me!"

     "How can I even consider that? Your lips were locked with my best friend of ten years! I thought that you loved me, Hailee!  Did you get bored with me that quickly after two months?! Didn't you think of all of the good and bad times we had together in that short time? Our first kiss? Our first date? How I took you to the hospital and cried my eyes out hoping that you'd open yours again? Or maybe how I organized a party for you when you got back? Did you care about any of that at all?!" , he ranted.

     "But, I'm telling you, i didn't do anything! Please! Believe me!" , I sobbed.

     "No! I seriously can't believe this! Why are you lying straight to my face?"

     "I promise, I'm not-"

     "You know what? Forget it. Forget me! Forget us! I can't believe I ever loved you. Consider us done. You're no longer my girlfriend." , he hissed.

     My heart met a sharp pain. My throat tightened and my vision became blurred with tears. "No! Please don't do this! I didn't kiss him! He kissed me!" , I sobbed sincerely as I clung onto his shoulder.

     "Get away from me!" , he snapped as he pushed me down to the pavement. "I want nothing to do with you! I hate you!" With that, he turned the other way and ran sobbing to his driver's car, leaving a shocked ex-girlfriend in his wake.

     I trudged back to my house in the rain. I personally didn't care that my hair and clothes would be ruined .The only thing that mattered was my relationship with Chanyeol.

     As I walked in the door, I noticed that Jongin had left, as his materials were no longer where they were. I ran upstairs and flopped on my bed and shed  tears longer than I ever did in my life. Forty-five minutes to be exact. After I was finished with my blubbering, I decided to text my friends to cheer me up. Only Sofia and Ember answered.

     Sofia: Hey~!!!

     Ember:  What's up girl?? :)

     I wanted to tell them how I felt, but I was hesitant. I wanted to say what happened,  but if Sofia discovered that Jongin kissed me, she most likely wouldn't believe me. If she did believe me, she'd be heartbroken! I also didn't want to drag Ember into it because she didn't deserve to deal with drama that didn"t concern her. After contemplating my actions, I pressed the call button under Sofia's name.

     "Hey!", she greeted.

    " Hey. Um... I'm having a really bad problem." , I started.

     "What's the matter?" , she asked, concerned.

     The tears came back. I tried to fight them, but I couldn't help it She heard my sobs and immediately asked what was wrong with me and why I was crying.

     "Chanyeol and I... aren't together anymore!" , I said at last.

     "What?! But why? How?" , she asked frantically.

     It was then or never. So, I chose then. "Okay." ,  I started. "I'm going to tell you something. But, you have to believe me, regardless of what anyone says."

    "Yeah, totally. I promise. I know you wouldn't lie to me. So, tell me what went on."

     I took a deep breath, exhaled, and said softly, " He saw Jongin and I kissing."

     "What?!" , she shrieked. Her voice began to waver as if she was about to cry. "You... You were kissing my boyfriend?!"

     "No!I didn't! I promise! He kissed me! I didn't even know that he was going to do it! Sofia, please. You have to believe me. I already lost Channie today. I don't want to lose you too." , I appealed.

     On the other end of my phone there was silence for a few minutes.

     "Sofia? You still there?" , I asked.

     I heard a deep , shaky sigh.

     "So. You're saying that...Jongin...my boyfriend...ch-cheated on me...with you?" , she interrogated.

     I honestly didn't want to answer ; I was harboring an emotional bomb that I had to drop in a few moments.

     "Answer me Hailee!!!", she demanded angrily.

     "Y-Yes. He kissed me and said that he loved me.", I nearly whispered.

     I heard Sofia gasp, followed by uncontrollable weeping. Her crying caused my emotions  to follow suit.

     "I'm sorry , Sofia! I didn't even know that he liked me still!"

     " ' Still?!' " , she asked.

     Oh no. Did I let that slip? Darn it Hailee, why can't you simply keep your mouth shut sometimes?

     "Jongin liked me ever since he first saw me. He must not have said anything because I was his best friend's girl. But he showed little signs of it, so I know. Then, when he started to date you, I figured he was over me since you were his life." , I divuldged. I felt so terrible. I really didn't want to tell her, but it was only fair that she heard it from me, and not someone else who could've bent the truth.

     "Oh my gosh , I can't take this....", she lamented to herself. 'When did he tell you this?"

     "Right before he kissed me today when it happened" , I answered.

     "I see. Well then, I guess that Jongin and I are no more then... " , she stated wistfully.

     "I'm sorry, Sofia. I really am sorry. I don't want him to like me, I promise you." , I apologized.

     "I know you don't. Don't apologize , because it isn't your fault. Listen, I need some time to think this through and eal with this, okay? I'll  see you at school tomorrow at school.", she said calmly as she hung up the phone. I laid my head back on my bed and wished that I was back in New jersey. Had I not came to South korea, none of that would've happened. But it did, and I had to figure out some way to cope. But, I couldn't. That night, I didn't come downstars to eat dinner with my parents or say good night to them. I didn't want to socialize. I wanted Chanyeol back. I loved him so much and I valued my relationship with him the most. But it didn't matter. I was lo longer his lucky star. I didn't shine bright anymore, and all of my luck had ran out.

    

                                                                            

 Message from the author: Well, that was chapter eleven! What do you think of it? Sad isn't it? :( Leave a comment below saying your feelings on this chapter or my fic in general! As always, remember to subscribe, upvote, and comment. :) Thanks so much for reading and stay tuned for the next update. :) -Hayley xoxo

                                                     *