No Prom For You

3 Weeks to 143
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“But mom! It’s necessary to attend the prom. That’ll serve as our final project in PE class. Failing to comply means failing that class overall.” I stomp off pouting, crossing my arms like a five year old toddler. I’m not usually this obnoxious. But my mom is not usually this unreasonable.

“You’ve done well for the past few years, honey.” She said softly caressing my hair to calm me down. “In fact you’ve been the best. I think being it the first time you fail to comply with a school requirement will not dethrone you from graduating on top of the class.”

I sighed exasperatedly. “Mom, it will. Believe me.”

My mom smiled at me, her loving, mother-like smile. Oh mom. “Honey, it’ll be for the best. Trust me.” The way she patted my back made it evident that no divine intervention can break down her firm decision.

How will it be for the best when all my hard work for four years will go to waste because of this stupid, I-don’t-know-how-it’s-related-to-PE-prom suddenly becoming compulsory for graduating came my way?  For the first time in sixteen years, I wasn’t able to trust my mom. I don’t believe mom.

No mom, I don’t think so. I thought sardonically.

But there’s nothing I can do about it, right?

 

***

 

One week before the dance, Johann Strauss the Younger’s music resonates everywhere in the school but my phone. The student’s daily dose of the usual Kpop songs, or Justin Bieber’s or Nicki Minaj’s ceased from their iPods temporarily, replaced by the soft symphony of Blue Danube. Everyone is animated by the upcoming event –girls talking about their ball gowns, some complaining that evening gowns are better. But seriously? All gowns look the same to me –as long as you have something to cover your body, then that’ll do.

“Kyung-Soon, ball gowns are better, right? Evening gowns are plain bo-ring. Tell me they are.” One of the girls that are arguing about dresses held my wrist and stopped me from my train of though

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter