Chapter 9 - The Aftermath

Just You. A sequel to ‘15 days with Super Junior’.

The next day…

 

Leeteuk and Heechul came with Donghae to the KBS building the very next day. Eunhyuk was still fuming with anger at his former best friend so he didn’t assist him. Donghae was still angry too but he was more heartbroken than angry because he had lost his girlfriend. Jae-Min on the other hand is heartbroken and hurting too. She misses Donghae very much and on top of that, she’s still getting endless of hate messages and some members of the press are actually outside of her apartment, wanting to talk to her.
“Hyung what if they don’t listen to me?” Donghae asked worriedly.

“We’ll make them listen.” Heechul smirked. Leeteuk sighed.

“Just be calm, I’m sure they’ll be good listeners.” Leeteuk said.

Their manager arranged this meeting with the KBS producers in order for Donghae’s name to be clear. Super Junior’s fan base can’t accept the fact that one of their favourite member is dating and SM Entertainment is not happy about this either. The plan is Donghae will apologize to the producers hoping that they will withdraw their statement about Donghae’s relationship with Jae-Min. Denying it will be the only way possible.

“Good morning.” One of the KBS producers, Ae Cha opened the door to the conference room and let the three members of Super Junior in. The other producer, Ji Young was already sat down and waiting patiently.

“Thank you for agreeing to have this meeting.” Leeteuk started.

“We want to know what this meeting is really about. Your manager didn’t make it clear when we spoke on the phone.” Ji Young stated.

Heechul nudged Donghae to start talking. He and Leeteuk agreed on coming with him but they weren’t going to speak for him. They were just there for moral support in case he breaks down and started mindlessly blubbering.

Donghae looked at his hyungs and they smiled at him.

“First of all, I would like to sincerely apologize for what I have done.” Donghae said. He cleared his throat before speaking but his voice still wavered as he talked. His hands had also started sweating and shaking.

“You’re apologizing for what exactly Donghae-ssi?” Ae Cha enquired.

“For breaking a rule and for lying. I promise it will never happen again. I will never break a rule again! I’m so sorry.” Donghae bowed.

Ae Cha and Ji Young looked at each other and sighed. They both knew that Donghae was sincere and that he actually meant his apology.

“You’re forgiven Donghae-ssi…” Ae Cha blurted out. This made Leeteuk and Heechul smile. Donghae smiled too but completely. It was still forced.

“Is there anything else you wanted to say?” Ji Young asked.

“Ne. I was wondering if you could kindly withdraw your statement from the media about mine and Jae-Min’s relationship.” Donghae said.

“I’m not going to ask for the role in the drama you removed me from. I just don’t want my fans to carry on hurting.” He continued.

“And we’ve lost quite a lot of fans due to the news.” Leeteuk added.

“Jae-Min’s suffering too cos she’s getting a lot of hate messages and death threats, believe or not.” Heechul chipped in.

Donghae flinched at the mention of Jae-Min’s name. He missed her terribly and all he wanted to do was to see her and be able to hug her and kiss her.

“Very well…” Ji Young nodded his head. “We don’t want to be held responsible just in case Shim Jae-Min dies so we can agree on a compromise.” He started writing on a piece of a paper.

“You will have a press conference. Only you Donghae, no one else. You will deny your relationship with Jae-Min.” Ae Cha said.

“Go home and prepare a speech. We will talk to your manager and arrange the time of your press conference tomorrow.” Ji Young continued.

“Tomorrow already?” Donghae gasped.

“Hae, we would like this to be sorted out as soon as possible.” Leeteuk told him. Heechul nodded in agreement.

“We will release a statement at the end of the day. You have my word Donghae; in 48 hours everything will be back to normal.” Ji Young said.

“Thank you very much.” Donghae bowed once more.

“We’re sorry for the trouble this has caused you.” Ae Cha said.

“I’m the only one who should apologize. If I’ve had asked for your permission to date-- Jae-Min in the first place, there wouldn’t be any trouble.” Donghae sighed.

True to their word, KBS withdrew their statement about confirming Donghae and Jae-Min’s relationship. However fans and the media are not quite sure whether they should believe it or not. The following day, Donghae who was accompanied by no one, went to a press conference.

The place was mobbed with reporters, photographers and some fans that was able to sneak in into the venue. From the beginning of the press conference, Donghae made it clear that he wasn’t going to be answering questions. He was simply going to say his speech and that was it.

The members of Super Junior were in their dorm, their eyes glued to the TV and waiting for Donghae’s much anticipated speech. They were all aware what was happening as Leeteuk and Heechul told them. Eunhyuk who was still angry at Donghae was watching too. He knows that if he didn’t went to KBS and blurted out Donghae’s secret, his best friend wouldn’t be facing this kind of trouble right now. Eunhyuk suddenly wished that he thought first before he acted so childishly and recklessly.

“Thank you all for coming here today,” Donghae started. “I called for this conference today to clear things up. I am not, I repeat, I am not dating Shim Jae-Min. As you all know, KBS have said in their statement that this was all just a big misunderstanding. I admit that I saw Jae-Min once or twice after the show finished, but I did not date her. We’re simply acquaintances and we’re not even in contact anymore. In addition to that, I am not dating anyone at all. I apologize for all the complications and confusion this has caused. And more importantly, I am deeply sorry to my fans that were hurt by this news. I hope you can forgive me.” Donghae stood up from his seat and bowed low. He could have used one of the members to be there with him but he knew that he had to be alone.

“I think that’s a pretty good speech.” Shindong said.

“Hae finally learnt how to lie better,” Sungmin grinned.

The press conference ended there and Donghae quickly left before the reporters could attack him with millions of questions. He knows that they will somehow find a loophole in his statement and somehow they will get him to admit stuff. He jumped in the Super Junior van and quickly asked the driver to leave the venue. Once in the motorway, Donghae took out his phone and started dialling Jae-Min’s number. Meanwhile, Jae-Min was just in her apartment when her phone rang. She looked at the screen and Donghae’s name was flashing. She wanted to talk to him so bad but she knew that that wouldn’t help anything. She wants both of them to move on.

Days passed since Donghae’s press conference and just like what he wanted, the ELF community had finally calmed down. No one was bothering Jae-Min anymore and Super Junior (especially Donghae) regained all their fans back.

 

One week later…

“Hey hyung, I cooked some ramen. Do you want some?” Ryeowook asked.

“I’m not hungry Wook. Thank you anyway.” Donghae replied weakly.

“Hey Donghae, do you wanna come to the pet store with me? I have to buy some food for Heebum and Baengshin.” Heechul spoke.

“Anio hyung, I really just want to stay here at the dorm.” Donghae replied.

“Donghae hyung, would you play Starcraft with me?” Kyuhyun requested.

“Sorry maknae, I’m not in the mood to play right now.” Donghae answered.

“Hyung, its Sunday today. Do you wanna come to church with me?” Siwon asked. Donghae let out a sigh and looked at the religious man.

“I don’t want to… Maybe next time…” Donghae faked a smile.

“So you’re just going to sulk here forever?” Yesung snapped.

“Hyung--” Ryeowook tried to hold him back away from Donghae.

“I’m not sulking…” Donghae mumbled with his eyes focused on the floor.

Eunhyuk was in a corner, watching everything. He feels so guilty seeing Donghae depressed. It’s been a week and Donghae just hasn’t been himself.

All of the members have tried to cheer him up but everything just fails.

“Well you’re not exactly hopping with joy are you?” Yesung carried on.

“Hyung, can we not do this now?” Donghae uttered.

“No Donghae. We’ve had enough of your sulking and moping around. You need to pull yourself together. You have to get past this.” Yesung said.

“I want to rest now.” Donghae simply said and went to his bedroom.

Once again, the members couldn’t do anything to get to him. Donghae’s acting as if by losing Jae-Min, it’s like the end of the world. Eunhyuk is the only person who understands why the fish is being like this.

He knew how much Donghae loved Jae-Min. And at that moment, Eunhyuk realized that he wanted to be best friends with Donghae again. He walked up to Donghae’s bedroom but hesitated for one moment by the door.

“Go on Hyuk, he needs you.” Leeteuk whispered.

“Ne. I think it’s time EunHae kiss and make-up.” Shindong added.

Eunhyuk nodded in agreement and knocked softly on Donghae’s door.

“I just want to be alone please.” Donghae shouted.

Eunhyuk ignored that and walked in anyway then closing the door behind him. Donghae was sat down on his bed and cuddling a pillow close.

“Hae… c-can we t-talk?” Eunhyuk stammered.

“Sure Hyuk. What about?” Donghae responded.

Eunhyuk stood awkwardly in front of Donghae.

“I was wondering if we could be best friends again.” Eunhyuk blurted out.

This made Donghae smile. A genuine smile and not a fake smile. Eunhyuk smiled too because Donghae hasn’t smiled properly for days. And being the person who made his best friend smile, made Eunhyuk very happy inside.

“I’d love that Hyuk,” Donghae stood up and hugged Eunhyuk. Eunhyuk hugged him back smiled even more.

“Sorry for what I did Hae…”

“I’m sorry for what I did Hyuk…”

“All is forgiven fishy Hae now let’s sort you out.” Eunhyuk stated.

“I’m fine Hyuk Jae. I really am.” Donghae fibbed.

“Stop lying Lee Donghae. Tell me how you really feel. How are you?”

“I’m fine.” Donghae whispered.

“No you’re not.” Eunhyuk insisted. “Tell me the truth.”

Donghae’s bottom lip quivered and he looked away from the monkey. Eunhyuk ushered him to sit down on the bed because he looked like he was about to break down in tears. Eunhyuk prepared himself to comfort Hae.

“It hurt Hyuk-- I’m hurting… It hurts…” Donghae started crying.

“It hurts… here…” Donghae sobbed and pointed towards his heart.

Eunhyuk pulled his best friend into a comforting hug.

“Everything is going to be fine Hae. You’ll see. You just have to forget about her. Time heals.” Eunhyuk explained.

“But I don’t want to forget about her…” Donghae mumbled.

“That’s what you have to do,” Eunhyuk said. “I’ll help you. We will all help you to forget about her.” He continued.

“Okay Hyuk,” Donghae nodded and wiped his tears.

He was prepared to try and forget about Jae-Min but he knows that it won’t be any use. He’s in love with her and that kind of love won’t just go away.

Days passed and Eunhyuk tried his best to cheer Donghae up. They regularly went out and had fun but it would only make Donghae happy for a little while. During the evenings, Donghae would go to his bedroom and cry himself to sleep. Even though Eunhyuk had told him not to contact Jae-Min, Donghae decided to be stubborn. He calls Jae-Min every single night even though she doesn’t answer. Not even once. He keeps on sending her texts but she on the other hand just reads them and then deletes them. Donghae not being himself is also affecting the other members. When Super Junior is on rehearsals, they always have to practice and rehearse an extra hour because Donghae would always be distracted and often gets the steps wrong. One time after rehearsals, Leeteuk pulled Eunhyuk into a corner.

“You have to do something Hyuk,” The leader spoke in a hushed tone.

“About what hyung?” Eunhyuk questioned.

“All this ‘cheering Donghae up’ is not working. He’s still miserable.”

“I’m aware of that hyung. But I am trying my best. I am helping him to forget about her.” Eunhyuk explained.

“But maybe he doesn’t have to forget her.” Leeteuk said.
“What do you mean hyung?” Eunhyuk was confused.

“You know what I mean Hyukkie. Do the right thing araso?” The leader tapped him on the shoulder before walking off leaving the monkey utterly confused and wondering what is the right thing he should do.

 

The following day…

Eunhyuk knew what he needed to do by staying up all night. He laid in bed thinking of what he should do just so Donghae can be back to normal. He cancelled all his schedules for the day and told his manager that he wasn’t feeling well so he could help out his best friend. He parked his car and then cut the engine off. He stayed inside his car for a little while and pondered at what he’s doing. This will certainly hope Donghae if everything goes according to his plan. He finally got out of his car and walked towards the front door of the apartment he knew well. After knocking softly on the door three times, he waited for an answer patiently.

“Eunhyuk oppa, what are you doing here?” Jae-Min squeaked when she saw who was standing by her front door.

“Hi Jae-Jae. Can we talk?” Eunhyuk smiled warmly at her.

“Ummm, okay. Come on in.” Jae-Min opened the door wider.

Eunhyuk entered her apartment and then she locked the door. She led him to the living room and ushered him to sit down on the sofa. Eunhyuk was a bit confused when he saw a lot of boxes and bubble wrap scattered around.

“What’s with all the boxes?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I’m moving.” Jae-Min answered casually. Eunhyuk’s eyes widened.

“Mwoyah?! Wae?” Eunhyuk gasped.

“I need to get away from everything. Start anew. I want to move on. I can’t stay here anymore oppa,” Jae-Min smiled sadly.

“But-- no. You can’t move away. What about Donghae?” Eunhyuk panicked.

If Donghae finds out that the love of his life will be leaving for good, he’ll be even more crushed and Eunhyuk wouldn’t be able to stand that.

“Donghae and I are over. It’s for the good of everybody. I’ll be moving on. He’s moving on I’m sure…” Jae-Min stated.

“But he’s not moving on. He’s anything but moving on! He needs you Jae. You can’t leave him. He’ll be even more devastated.” Eunhyuk begged.

“I’m sorry I can’t do anything for him,” Jae-Min mumbled.

“Take him back. Tell him you want him back.” Eunhyuk said.

“I can’t--” Jae-Min sighed out loud.

“Don’t you love him anymore?” Eunhyuk questioned.

Jae-Min stopped what she was doing and looked at Eunhyuk with her eyes watering. Of course she still loved Donghae. She will always love Donghae.

“I don’t know~” Jae-Min said instead.

“20 minutes Jae-- Give me 20 minutes. Don’t go anywhere.” Eunhyuk held her hands close to his chest and pleaded strongly.

“I don’t know what you’re going to do oppa but fine. I’ll be here.” Jae-Min smiled at him. Eunhyuk smiled back and ran out of her apartment and to his car. Before starting the engine, he dialled Donghae’s number.

DH: “Yoboseyo?”

EH: “HAE! Where are you?!”

DH: “I’m at the dorm. Wae? Gwaenchanayo?”
EH: “Are you dressed?!”
DH: “Uhh ne hyung… What’s going on?”

EH: “I’m going to pick you up. Don’t go anywhere. Wait for me.

I’m on my way.”

DH: “What? Why--?”

Eunhyuk ended the phone call and placed his phone back in his pocket.

He turned the engine on and started driving back to the dorm as fast as he could. If there’s anyone that could stop Jae-Min from moving away, it’s Donghae. Eunhyuk was glad that he decided to visit her because if he didn’t, he could have been too late and Donghae could have never seen her again. After 10 minutes of intense driving, Eunhyuk finally arrived at the dorm. Luckily for him Donghae was already waiting for him outside so he didn’t need to call him to get out of the dorm. Donghae immediately jumped in the car, put his seatbelt on and Eunhyuk had started driving again. Donghae looked at his best friend with a worried expression.

“Where are we going Hyuk?” he asked nervously.

“To Jae-Min’s.” Eunhyuk answered.

“But why?” Donghae cocked his head to the side.
“Because you have to tell her not to move away. She’s packing and everything Hae… You have to stop her,”

“HYUK WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME THIS OVER THE PHONE? I COULD HAVE BEEN AT HER APARTMENT BY NOW!” Donghae went furious.

“BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE DRIVEN THERE YOURSELF AND YOU KNOW YOU DON’T DRIVE SAFELY!” Eunhyuk yelled.

Donghae took a deep breathe and looked outside the window. He can’t believe what was happening. He can’t let Jae-Min leave. He just can’t.

“I’ll get you there Hae, don’t worry.” Eunhyuk said calmly.

“Thanks Hyukkie,” Donghae muttered.

For the rest of the journey back to Jae-Min’s apartment, the pair kept silent. In Eunhyuk’s head, he wants Donghae to get Jae-Min back. He doesn’t even care about his own feelings anymore. All he cares about now is his best friend’s happiness. Meanwhile in Donghae’s head, he’s running through the things he wants to tell Jae-Min. How much he has missed her, how much he loves her and how much he means to her.

“Hae we’re here…” Eunhyuk broke Donghae’s train of thoughts.

Once the car was safely parked, Donghae jumped out and ran towards Jae-Min’s front door. He banged on the door until Jae-Min opened it.

“Donghae-- w-what are y-you doing h-here?” Jae-Min stuttered.

“I love you Jae, I love you so much. Don’t leave please.” Donghae said.

Eunhyuk ran up beside him and smiled at Jae-Min who was just speechless.

She just opened the door wider so that the two can walk through. Once inside, Donghae pulled Jae-Min into a heartfelt hug. She missed his hugs terribly so his arms being around her once more made her tear up a bit.

“I have to finish packing,” Jae-Min pulled away after a few minutes.

“But-- no. Please don’t leave!” Donghae pleaded, his eyes started watering.

“Hae please don’t look at me like that,” Jae-Min smiled a little.

“Then let’s get back together!” Donghae stated.

“You don’t need to leave Jae-Min,” Eunhyuk added.

“You guys should know better than that. Donghae we can’t get back together. Even though we both want to, we can’t.”

“Look, if you’re worried about being caught again, don’t. No one would have found out about your relationship in the first place if I didn’t open my big mouth.” Eunhyuk admitted.

“I don’t want to keep hiding from everyone.” Jae-Min pouted.

“I know that in the future we can finally tell everyone and they will accept it. Time is just what we need Jae…” Donghae mentioned.

Jae-Min looked at Donghae and thought hard if getting back with him is worth it. To be honest, she’d love to get back with him because she loves him so much too. But that would mean lying and hiding from mostly everyone again just like in the beginning. Does she really want that again?

“Let’s settle this… Donghae you love her right?” Eunhyuk said.

Donghae did nothing but nod and wiped his cheeks dry.

Eunhyuk turned to Jae-Min. “Jae, you love Hae right?”

“Of course I do.” Jae-Min replied with a weak smile.

“Then that’s it. Don’t think about anyone else. This is about the two of you. You love each other. That’s what’s important!” Eunhyuk said firmly.

“So what do you say?” Donghae smiled and took Jae-Min’s hand in his.

She squeezed his hand and started crying softly.

“I’m scared,” She said and looked down. Donghae laughed lightly, placed his hand under her chin and pulled it up gently so he was facing him.

“Me too but we’ll be fine I promise,” Donghae said before leaning and kissing her on the lips. Eunhyuk who still had feelings for Jae-Min felt nothing but happiness because his best friend was finally happy again.

“You guys actually belong together,” he said.

Donghae and Jae-Min parted lips and smiled at each other.

“Thank you Hyuk,” They told Eunhyuk.

“No problem. But hey Jae, do you have any single friends?” Eunhyuk grinned.

 

****

Author’s Note:

Thank you for taking the time to read this fic you guys! ^-^

I hope you enjoyed it.

‘Til next time~!

~ {JL}