05

Fighting Perfection

 

I reached home two hours after my usual time. My mental and physical state was too dishevelled to not fall under my parents’ suspicion so I decided to cool myself off by having ice-cream and playing at the swings. My driver knew me better than anyone and had taken me to my favourite ice-cream parlour without my asking him to and never did I feel more grateful towards him. Ice-cream and swings were the two things I liked the most. They were so much more important than Sehun, Jieun and every complicated aspect of my life that they helped me divert my attention to their simplicity. Although, I had no issues with my ice-cream, I had some issues with the swing. I just liked sitting on the swing but if anyone ever pushed it, my worst fears would come alive. I am mild acrophobic so it is totally understandable why I detest swinging on a swing.

From the main door, I could hear some faint celebration going on in the inside quarters. As far as I knew, we were not expecting anyone and we did not have any other reason to celebrate. I looked at my maid who opened the door questioningly while she took my bag and blazer.

“You have guests and they are expecting you at the main hall,” she said understanding my silent query. I nodded slowly, the frown persisting on my face and went towards the main hall. I hated it when guests arrived at our place. Any new alien in the house would begin the same old drama of praising Jieun endlessly and dropping in a compliment for me occasionally out of pity. I think the worst thing any of these guests had ever said to me was, “Don’t worry about your looks, someone will surely marry you.”

It’s like their ultimate concern and my ultimate goal is to get married, to get married to anyone and that was of course because I wasn’t as pretty as Jieun. Jieun always advised me to not pay attention to these ignorant crack jacks but Jieun’s advice felt like another shower of pity. Overall, guests were a direct ticket to my getting a headache.

The hollow sound of a lively conversation became louder and louder as my steps approached the brilliantly lit hall.

“Ah! There she is!” exclaimed father as I cautiously entered the space, “Come and introduce yourself to Mr.Kim!”

Now I had no clue who this Mr.Kim was but my sister’s straightening of her back the moment I entered the hall told me that I did not like him or will not like him.

One look at his face and my suspicions were confirmed. There sitting on the opposite sofa was the corrupt trustee of our school and his wife who looked like a jewellery shop. I turned my head further to see the third occupant and felt a blow in my gut. It was Kai, he was sitting in my home with his disgusting parents, looking as nonchalant and uncaring as ever. His eyes met mine but I didn’t notice a sign of recognition in it, it’s like it was the first time we were meeting.

“Ah! You have grown up so much since the last time,” said the blinging piece of jeweller, “Jongin ah, you must have met her today?”

For some stupid reason, I was actually looking forward to his answer and when he just nodded his head, I felt terribly disappointed.

“Our Jongin is a shy and awkward kid,” she reasoned while patting her son’s head, “But isn’t it a good thing that he has taken a liking to Jieun?”

I did not know whom the question was directed to or was it asked rhetorically but inadvertently, smiled. It had begun, the god forbidden ‘Jieun is so great’ topic had begun. Turning around, I found a single sofa and sat on it, promising myself to stay silent throughout this misery.

“I am so glad that our son gets to stay with you!” rejoiced Mr.Kim his mouth stretching itself into a toe curling smile. My blank look suffered a dent at this new piece of information. What does he mean by our son gets to stay with you? Kai is going to stay with us? I looked at my father with a look, which could be best described as scandalised, and fortunately, my dad saw me. Immediately, he started fiddling with his fingers and squirming in his seat, weakly agreeing to Mr.Kim’s remark.

“Aren’t you glad too?” asked Mr.Kim earnestly his hands clasped into the other.

“Uh yes,” I replied faking a smile,”Father, I need to talk with you for a moment.”

To say my father looked shocked was an understatement but my mother looked murderous. It was almost illegal to leave a conversation and go, and here I was dragging my father as well. Without waiting for his assent, I got up and waited for him at the corridor. Mild whispers could be heard and I assumed the Kim family must be brushing my rude action as just another teenager problem.

“How you dare you behave like that in front of guests?” he thundered the moment he saw me.

“I am sorry,” I apologised as custom asked me to, “But what are they doing here and why Kai will stay over at our place?

“They are friends that’s why!” he answered turning to leave but stopped when he realised I had not followed him.

“I have given you your answer now return,” he ordered.

“Dad you know it very well that they are not friends,” I said shocked by the reason he had given me,” they were never friends. They brought down grandfather’s company by framing him in a drug peddling scandal, they also tried to do the same to your company just because we blew their case of tax violations and you are calling them friends? What is wrong with you?”

“You are a kid,” answered father menacingly, “Act like one.” I had never seen father get so agitated before this. He was always a calm and rational person but here he was acting like he was under a spell.

“I was never a kid father,” I answered gravely, “And you should know that better than anyone else. If you want to call them your friends, go ahead call them, however, I will not allow you to house Kai. This house is not a charity hotel for any random person who comes by.”

I had been talking to father’s back till now but when he turned around, I could see the anger blazing in his eyes. I took a step back fearful of him and felt myself regretting my earlier actions.

“You want to know why I am doing this?” he asked gnashing his teeth,” Then let me tell you. This father of yours is going bankrupt and do you know why? Because that corrupt guy sitting over there has threatened me to trap me in a case of drug peddling just as your grandfather! Don’t think, I didn’t threaten him with the police but you and I both know how dirty things get in businesses. This is his revenge for the tax violations case and no, he is not going to indulge in public flogging but instead he will leave his son here to be worshipped by us.”

“Y-You,” I stuttered, “You never told me about this.”

“I am so sorry,” he cried hiding his face in his hands, “I am so sorry. I thought I could deal with this on my own but I couldn’t. I have disappointed you all, I am just a failure and I am not strong like you or your sister, just a weakling who breaks under pressure.”

It broke my heart to see my father broken like this! I rubbed his back but I knew it would have no soothing effect. Like me, he also treasured his ego but he was not strong enough to keep it safe and intact. We were in a fix and I could not blame father for it. We were all to blame. If we had any transparency as a family then may be we would not have had to see this day.

“For how many days will he be here?” I asked as sweetly as possible.

“As long as he wishes to,” he replied. Well that was not good news but I guess I could be satisfied with the fact that it was only the son.

“We’ll get through this,” I pacified, ‘’Let’s go.”

Those idiots were still flashing their 32 when we entered. “You shouldn’t have walked off like that,” they chastised, “its not good manners.” Sure! Now these guys will teach me good manners.

“Okay, cut the crap,” I interjected abruptly, “Dad just told me what is going on and I don’t find a need for you guys to be sweet when your intentions are as bitter as poison. You have dumped your son, now you may leave.”

The smiles vanished in a blink of an eye and the disgusting face of the monsters were put on full view.

“Trying to act all smart are we,” said Mr.Kim spitefully, “Behave properly otherwise I’ll bring your father down with a click of my fingers. You ugly piece of ! Who are you to order me around? Didn’t you see what happened with your grandfather? Are you that uncaring of your father as well?”

“Dad that’s enough,” interrupted Kai getting up from the sofa.

“And as for you,” Kai continued undaunted, “Things don’t stand much to your favour so it’s better to act submissive right now. No one is dumping me here; I am here out of my own free will as the owner of the house. Some things need to be made clear to you so that you know where you stand in relation to me. Your father has transferred his entire property in my name, which will remain mine in case I feel I am not being treated as I should be, which includes this house. Hence, I am the owner of this house and everything within this house, living and non-living alike.”

I could not believe this was the same guy who had made me feel warm and loved. He was an unfeeling bastard and he had known it all along that this would happen. That is why he had threatened me with the outside school comment and passed the corruption jibe. Now I felt all the more pathetic for crying in front of him. ! ! If anyone at school came to know this, they would not stop making fun of me.

“Let’s go love,” announced Mr.Kim looking at me with eyes of distaste, “I have to decontaminate myself from all the germs I have collected from the home of these scumbags. Son, I am sorry that after having living in abroad comfortably you have to bother yourself with these low lives but only you can show them their place.”

Kai just stared at Jieun who was trying her level best to control her anger and ignored his parents who left with my father accompanying him like a docile servant.

With the Kims were out of our earshot, mother came forward to Kai and said, “I am so sorry you had to listen to her rude comments. She is just too arrogant and obnoxious for her own good. I can assure you my Jieunah is not like that. She’ll take good care of you.”

“Ah! Please don’t apologise,” said Kai bowing a little, “I am sure all of you are nice. In fact, I know it is my father who is at fault but I am just a pawn as well. Just treat me as your son, if that is not too much to ask for. As for Jieun, I am sure I’ll like her, it’s very difficult not to.”

And there again, he had changed a 180 degree. I saw my sister blushing and my mother smiling lovingly at Kai and decided it was time for me to retire for the night. If he wanted to be a son, he could be. I did not care anymore, not when he already had two females fawning over him.

 

“I hate this Kai guy!” Jieun hissed as she punched my poor pillow. She had sneaked into my bedroom like always to have a random midnight chat. I was glad to see that she hadn’t held any grudges against me for what happened in the morning.

“Of course you do, “I mocked, “That’s why you were blushing and didn’t speak against him when it was required.”

“Oh please!” she denied, “That’s because everything was happening too fast and you can’t deny he is mysteriously good looking.”

“Yes, his good looks are a mystery to me,” I lied.

“Grumpy, cynical monster!” she yelled and threw a pillow at me. Dodging pillows was something I had been doing since the day she learnt how to throw pillows so I escaped unharmed.

“Well, you can’t hate him forever,” she said, now bored of irritating me, “He is your VP.”

And so is he yours and the entire school’s,” I replied, “And I am going to make his life hell at school.”

“Do you have any idea of the risk you will be courting by doing that?” she asked incredulously.

“The maximum he can do is killing me but he won’t because he likes you and I am assuming that he doesn’t kill the sisters of people he likes.”

“Oh shut up!” she groaned, “He does not like me.”

“It’s very difficult not to like her,” I quoted Kai, “Yeah sure, he does not like you.”

“He was just being nice,” her voice came muffled behind the pillow.

“Get out of my room Jieun because I need to sleep and my anger over Kai being given grandfather’s room will naturally force me to stay awake and plan his murder,” I said pushing her towards the door.

“Fine, fine,” she drawled, “If you are intend on humiliating him then make sure you beat him to pulp.”

“Sure,” I agreed and successfully pushed her out of my room.

Well on a serious note, I could not do anything to him. I did not attack, I defended and so far, Kai had done no harm to neither my family nor me. Yes, he had been cold and cocky to me but he had been warm and nice to Jieun and mother and that was reason enough to consider him nice. If he had liked me, I would have probably considered him as God but then he was just human, an annoying human.