Chapter 10

Our Yesterday

            “What? Pain in the neck?  I’m a pain in the neck?  And annoying?  I’m a pain in the neck and annoying?” talking to no one, Eun Hye spots the cab driver watching her through the rear view mirror probably wondering who this insane person he just picked up, and if she might be dangerous.

            “Ahjussi,……………. I’m not crazy,” she pleads waving her hands to prove her innocence, but her effort was spoiled thanks to her bruised hand.

            “I didn’t say you were, miss.  But it’s probably none of my business anyways,” the cab driver replied to her, which didn’t exactly reassure her as she could here worry in his voice.

            “But I’m really not,” she muttered low and quietly so only she could hear.  Disappointment and sadness was evident in her voice.  She knew that there was no way she could prove her sanity now.  Staying quiet, she watched the people on the street interact with the world, and discover stores and buildings that she’s never encountered before.  And from time to time she would look at the rear view mirror and see that the driver is carefully watching her, and when the two would make eye contact accidentally, they would awkwardly smile to each other.  Feeling uncomfortable and hungry, she spots a Chinese restaurant.

            “Driver Ahjussi, please drop me off by that Chinese restaurant over there,” Eun Hye was feeling tired, but she wanted to stretch her legs and get off the cab because she’s not liking how she’s again being misunderstood.

            “Arasso, Agassi….” replied the relieved driver whose complexion lightened up as soon as he heard the request.  It only took the driver less than a minute to drop her off at her new destination.  “Agassi, we’re here…..”

            “Thank you, How mu……”

            “27000 won (Author’s note: Again, I don’t know the actual cost of taxis, so I’m winging it)” he answered before she could actually ask.  Knowing how much she was wanted out of the cab, Eun Hye handed the taxi driver the money and exited the cab.  With no hesitation, the cab drove off.

            “You must have been so scared of me to want me out of your cab that badly, huh?” once again, she was speaking to no one in particular.  “I already said I wasn’t crazy, and you don’t believe me.  Fine!!  You just lost one precious customer, Mr..!”  She was drawing more and more attention towards herself.

            “Is it a crime to talk to myself?  Is it illegal here?  I hear that they ban a lot of stuff, but speaking to yourself? Really?” Looking around, still standing at the same place she was dropped off, and facing where the cab was previously at, she finally noticed people staring and whispering about her.

            “Wah….. Must really be illegal then.” After walking and sitting in the restaurant, she recalled all the misunderstandings that had so far occurred during her first day.

            “Maybe I should have gone elsewhere.  People here don’t seem to like me.  First, I was mistaken for a thief, then a stalker, and now crazy psycho…  Aish….. With all what happened so far, she couldn’t help but play with her bangs.  It was a reflex she does whenever she’s anxious, or is uncomfortable.  But she didn’t just play with her bangs this time, she even messed up and ruffled her hair, which earned her more suspicious glares from the other customers and the waitress that was just about to ask for her order.

            “Yes….?” Eun Hye asked when she felt a presence in front of her.  Confusion and irritation was evident in her voice. 

            “Um…. I…. I was…” the poor waitress is a little shaken and can’t quite get her words out.  She thought that Eun Hye’s irritation is directed at her.  “I just wanted to….. I’m here to get….. What would you like to order?”

            Oh no, not another one who thinks I’m crazy… Eun Hye dared not to say this thought out loud.  But as she looks around, she realizes that it wasn’t just the waitress who was eyeing her like a criminal.

            “Just an order of fried rice, mandarin chicken, dumplings, and kung pao chicken……” Seeing how the waitress is just wide eyed, staring at her, almost afraid to move, she dismisses her.  “That’s all.  Thank you…”All the waitress could do was bow to her over and over before actually leaving.

            “Actually, can you make that to go?” She called out to the waitress before she could complete disappear into the kitchen.  Eun Hye knew that she wouldn’t be comfortable eating there with eyes on her.  “Did she even get my order?” She asked herself.  “She was too scared to even write anything down.  Am I really that frightful?  Maybe I should have gotten a part time job at a haunted house, would have had made some money.”

            After a wait of 17 minutes, Eun Hye received her order and left the restaurant.  She immediately got into a cab and asked the driver to take her home.  But this time, she kept her thoughts to herself.  As the cab drives onto her building’s parking lot, she notices that Jaejoong’s van is also there. 

            “He’s actually here already…. Hhhmm.  Did he get on the nerves of his friends too?  I wouldn’t be surprised if he did.  He does have a talent for that.”  As soon as she got out of the cab and grabbing her bags, she received a greeting.

            “Annyeonghaseyo, Agassi.”  It was the guard.  “Seems like you hurt yourself again.”  He was talking about the bruise on her hand.

            “Ah, ye…..” she sheepishly replied.  “But it’s nothing.  No need for concern.  Have a good evening…”  Although she was carrying her bags of food and clothing, Eun Hye refused to show how hurt she felt.  From childhood, she was raised to be tough and strong.  Passing by the guard and the other employees, she greets them with a bow. 

            In the elevator, she was all alone, which allowed her to freely talk to herself without any judgment.  Well, except for the security camera, but since the building is high end, which promises security and privacy for the customers, no one would dare say a word about her “strange” behaviors. 

            Looking towards the back left corner ceiling, she finally notices a well hidden camera.  “What?  You think I’m weird too?  Go ahead, apparently everyone in South Korea think so.  I mean, what’s wrong with me when I’m here?  Did I change, or was I always like this but never noticed?  Aish….  I don’t care anymore.” She wanted to stop listening to other people for once.

            “You know what?  Let people think what they want.  Eun Hye.  Ya!! You…...... don’t let people get to you so easily, arasso?” This time, it was herself that was getting all the scolding.  “You are here for a short 3 months period, and then you’ll have to go back home where your parents will decide everything for you again.  Start living for yourself for at least right now.  Don’t let others get to you so easily, arasso?” Eun Hye was determined to keep her spirits up for the rest of her vacation, but it became hard when she sees an unexpected scene in front of her as soon as the elevator opened up on her floor. 

 

 

             Author:  Again sorry for the short chapters.......