The Little Black Book

Black Coffee

Aaron had decided to follow Ying Jie all the way home, as she seemed way too drunk to take care of herself. Therefore, he also had to meet her family of course, which he found rather weird, as he wasn’t even dating her. When he thought about it, she reminded him quite a lot of Hebe before ninth grade. Hebe hadn’t exactly been mainstream back then; she had actually done anything to stand out, until Selina and Ella had made this bet, and made her change completely. She had been fed up with popularity, and it hadn’t been good for her personality or self esteem. Aaron knew that somewhere, deeply under her skin, she was still the same little rebel, and that she just wore a mask. It actually somehow frustrated him.
“We’re here, Mr.” the cab driver smiled. Aaron only knew where Ying Jie lived, because he happened to know her neighbors. He had never been anywhere near her house, though.
“Thanks, sir.” Aaron said, and lazily paid the cab driver. He then carried Ying Jie towards her door, and knocked in it. After a while, it was opened by a young-looking woman, wearing a red silk robe, with yellow and blue flowers embroidered on it. Her long, jet black hair was hanging loosely down her shoulders, and her extremely big eyes looked tired. Aaron figured that this beautiful woman was Ying Jie’s infamous stepmother; Jennifer.
“Oh my god, thank you so much for bringing her home! Carl and I have been so worried for her… How many drinks has she had? Is she okay?” the woman; Jennifer asked Aaron. For a few seconds, he just looked at her.
“The bartender told me that she had around seven Irish coffees… I’m pretty sure that she’s okay; she’s just sleeping, as she’s tired… But let’s get her to her room, before starting a big conversation” Aaron said; though Ying Jie was skinny, his arms were starting to get tired.
“Oh, of course, I’m sorry, let’s get her in there now…” Jennifer hurried and said. Then she grabbed Ying Jie’s legs, and helped Aaron carrying her to bed. “I’ll get a servant to change her… She probably won’t be going to school tomorrow… Are you one of her classmates?”
“As a matter of fact, I am… My name is Aaron Yan” Aaron said, shyly. As soon as he mentioned his name, Jennifer looked like she was in shock. She just stood there, with open, not knowing what to say. “Has… Ying Jie ever mentioned me before?” he was suddenly worried; what if Ying Jie had mentioned him as a big, erted playboy, and her stepmother now thought that he had taken advantage of her? That wouldn’t be very pleasant.
“No, she certainly hasn’t… I’m sorry, I’m just a little tired… Thank you for getting her home, Aaron; you better get home now, and get some sleep so you can go to school tomorrow” Jennifer smiled.
“I was… Actually thinking if I could come over and see if Ying Jie is okay? You know, take care of her, if she’s sick tomorrow…” Aaron smiled.
“Well, that’s very kind of you Aaron, but you really don’t have to…”
“”Well, I want to” Aaron smiled at Jennifer, and walked out to the cab driver. Why was it that he had just offered to take care of Wu Ying Jie if she was sick? It didn’t seem like his style; escorting her home was already pushing it to the limits. He wouldn’t ever have offered his help if it had been Hebe… Well, maybe a year ago, but surely not in that period of time.

A young, petite, fragile-looking girl woke up as the morning sun started to light through her curtains. She usually woke up at this time, but why was it that she felt so tired? And god, her head hurt… that was when she noticed that she wasn’t wearing her usual sleeping attire; an oversized gray t-shirt with leftovers from coffee all over it, but a dark blue, almost navy, robe with embroidered red hearts all over it. She didn’t think much about it, though; her head hurt too much. She reached out for her little black notebook to write a poem about her father’s wedding, when she realized that it wasn’t there.
“Father?!” she finally decided to yell; if she had drunk too much champagne at dinner or something, her father would know it for sure. Yes, that was it; she had drunk too much champagne, and misplaced her notebook somewhere in the house.
“You’re father had to leave early for work” Jennifer said, while walking through Ying Jie’s door, already fully dressed. “Does your head hurt? You had quite a few cocktails yesterday, but before we talk about what happened yesterday… What is your relationship to Aaron Yan?” Jennifer asked, looking at Ying Jie with suspect in her eyes.
“He’s my classmate and one of the people in the world whom I hate the most… Why? Have you heard otherwise?” Ying Jie asked, suddenly feeling a little bit clear minded. She had been at a bar the day before, and she had been drinking a lot of Irish coffee… Aaron Yan had been there, and asked if she was okay… Wait, why would Aaron care about whether or not she was okay?
“Well, he carried the passed out you home yesterday, and even asked if he could come over and check up on you today, and take care of you if you were sick… He seemed quite… In love” Jennifer smirked a little.
“Come on, Jennifer; Aaron Yan has dated the same girl for two years… He wouldn’t EVER even look at me. Besides, he always makes fun of me, just like all the people he hangs out with; he’s a jerk, the male version of a …” Ying Jie rolled her eyes. Her head hurt so badly, and now Jennifer was purposely trying to confuse her?
“Miss Jennifer?! Guests!” the Wu families lazy made, Ruth yelled. Jennifer hurried to the door, but Ying Jie could still hear her words clearly. “Aaron? What a pleasant surprise… Ying Jie is still in bed; I was about to make Ruth bring her some breakfast and coffee… You know where her room is from yesterday…”
Ying Jie hated Jennifer more than usually at that moment. She just… Didn’t understand that she meant what she said!

Aaron walked nervously towards Ying Jie’s room. What was he even thinking, randomly visiting a girl who hated him? Wu Ying Jie would probably feel a lot happier if he didn’t visit her and all, but he somehow felt like he had to… And besides; he still had her little black book. She would probably treat him like a hero when he gave it to her, and then they would go ou… Be friends forever. He finally reached his destination; Ying Jie’s room.
“Knock knock?” he asked, as the door was open. Then he just randomly walked in, seeing Ying Jie disparately searching for something.
“Is it this you’re looking for?” Aaron asked, and showed her the little notebook, which had just been in his pocket. For a few seconds, she seemed to be relieved, but afterwards, she looked angry again.
“No, I was searching for an escape, so I didn’t have to see your utterly disgusting face” Ying Jie said, looking at him with hatred in her eyes. Luckily, Aaron had read the contents of Ying Jie’s little black book, which meant that he had the perfect answer for that.
“Utterly disgusting angel face, delicate red lips, deep yet dangerous eyes? I thought I was a beautiful disaster in your eyes” when Ying Jie looked like she was about to reply him, he continued speaking, so that she didn’t get to. “You called the poem Aaron, so I doubt that it’s about anyone else…” he then eyed her in a way that made her feel exposed.
“Why are you looking at me like a lion would look at his target?” Ying Jie asked, slowly walked backwards, while Aaron in the exact same pace slowly walked forwards.
“Well, I just thought of something. Yesterday I was in a bar to find an extremely pretty girl to… You know, but I then decided to help you, and listen to your sorrows instead. Don’t you think you owe me something?” Aaron asked. It was originally meant as a joke, but when he thought further about it, it was more than brilliant.
“No, I don’t. You chose yourself to listen to my sorrows yesterday; I never asked you to. Therefore, I don’t owe you one, and by the way, I just spent more than twenty seconds talking to you, so consider yourself repaid” Ying Jie smirked a little, but then quickly changed her facial expression to her usual, dark, mystical one.
“Well, I was thinking something more like… Your first kiss or something?” Aaron now smirked.
“You’re crazy, Aaron Yan; even if I kissed you now, which I never would, it wouldn’t be my first kiss… I mean, I’m sixteen, don’t you think I had a life before attending your hateful upper class school?” Ying Jie rolled her eyes. Before she started at the crappy school, she really was different. Very different, in fact. But everything had changed when weird rumors had started about her, and when her mother died, her mentally changed so much, that no one even wanted to hang out with her. When her father met Jennifer, they moved to Taipei, and Ying Jie changed schools.

*FLASHBACK*
A fifteen year old extremely pretty girl walked down the halls of her school. She was wearing a black tank top, a studded vest, a plaid miniskirt, and killer stilettos. She was wearing a lot of makeup, and her hair was gathered in a messy ponytail. As she walked by people, they started whispering.
“I’ve heard that she’s pregnant with that guy, what’s his name… Alien Huang’s child, and that her father is considering disowning her” one of the whispering people told her friends.
“The child is not Alien’s; don’t you remember that old guy she dated? It’s his, and she’s getting an abortion later today…” one of the other girls said.
“Girls, girls, girls, we all know that she threw up because of her eating disorder, and not because she’s pregnant. I know someone at the hospital she’s being treated; my stepfather works there” the third one of them said, but the girl was neither pregnant, nor did she have an eating disorder. The real story was, that she two days ago was dumped by her boyfriend, and couldn’t stand being in school. Therefore, she had thrown up in front of the school nurse, so she got to go home.
“My god, finally” the girl said when she reached her friends. She knew that they would understand why she was feeling like she was. “I mean, firstly, Wang Zi dumped me, and now all of a sudden all these rumors? This is crazy!” the girl concluded and smiled.
“Well, Gui Gui, you know that we love you and all, but…” her best friend, Ya Tou, couldn’t continue saying what she was about to say; it hurt too much.
“But?” the girl called Gui Gui asked, being a little scared. “But what, you’re going to totally ditch me like Wang Zi and my older brother did?” she joked, while smirking.
“Wu Ying Jie, we’re sorry, but you know that we have high standards in this circle, and we all saw you with that guy yesterday. Please give us your headband” another one of the girls said. The cliques trademark was that they wore headbands, and asking for someone’s headband was a way of throwing someone out of the desired popular clique.
“I’ll stop wearing it, but I still won’t give it to you; it was a gift from someone very dear to me” the girl, Ying Jie said, and took of her headband. She then looked at the girls one last time. “Goodbye, es” she said, and walked towards her locker. She unlocked it, and put her headband in. She then walked down to the nurse’s office, and threw up once again. “I’m really not feeling well…” she said. “I think I ate some bad food…”
***

Heey guys (:
Did you like my third chapter?
I’m trying to make you understand my characters better xD
I really love them myself, you see xD
Someone commented about me making Hebe a Barbie , and I partly understand the comment, but then again, if you’ve read “My Private Tutor,” where I’ve made almost all of my female characters like that, I don’t really see the problem… Besides, keep on reading, and you’ll see that everything is not what it seems like ;)
Anyways, I’m pretty angry with winglin, so I signed up for asianfanfics too, where I from now on also will update this story… My username is Gril4Life (:
And thanks for all the sweet, sweet comments (:
I really liked them (:
Please comment again <33

Xoxo
Gril4Life