05 || First Meeting

Of Betrayal and Lies

Their date was another definition of perfect. Everything was going smoothly; nothing could possibly get in their way. Jieun was happy, enjoying a casual date like normal couple – sharing a kiss in public places, holding hands – spending the whole day together without a person who would backlash them. Kai was enjoying it too, as he spoiled Jieun with his sweet words. However, it all comes to an end when Kai received a call from his company.

He was missing for the whole day, without telling anyone except the EXO. They must be having a hard time, making up excuses to protect the two. It’s his day off but it seems the company doesn’t like the fact that he’s missing. Jieun could hear the CEO scolding him so badly. It made her guilty and rather upset. Suddenly, the reality comes back to her, that she’s a young idol who isn’t supposed to find love and date. She should just sing, at least that’s how the public wants.

Kai told her the company calls and he needed to return right away. She could only nod, letting him go. He promises her he’d call and he asked her not to drink. He told her he’ll always be there for her and if anything happen, she’d have to tell him. She could only say yes to every single thing he said as he helps her to search for a cab and finally leaving her all alone.

She could sense it. Once his presence leaves her, it felt horrible. All of her insecurity and anxiousness Kai had just washed away suddenly comes back to her, terrifying her through the whole dark night.

She’d love not to drink. She’d love to stop, just like how he wanted her to change. But no she can’t. There hadn’t been a day where she did not drink. She always spent those cold sleepless nights drinking, from night until dawn. She gulps down countless bottles of soju, sometimes wine and beer, but mostly its soju. Her thought keeps on wondering around at night with anxiety overflowed inside her. The alcohol has ruined her, yet it is also the reason for her survival.

It probably partly caused by Kai’s fault. He hasn’t called her yet, although saying it that way wasn’t true either. He called her, leaving countless missed calls notification on her phone. She has busy schedules, just like how successful idol should be. She was so busy even to blink her eye for a second. She doesn’t even have time to check her phone. She’d leave messages or calls when she has time, but by then he’ll be the one who’s busy.

And when the morning came, it was all over the news how EXO-K Kai was badly injured. She saw it, how painful it must be. She saw his painful expression, something even she found rare. He barely could walk and it was all over the news how badly injured he is and how it may need surgery. It was frustrating, how all she could do is sit there and hopelessly watching him in pain. She can’t even call him or see him; all she could do is quietly watching.

But today, despite the dark circles under her eyes and the smell of dripping liquor on her, she was brighter. She had a beautiful smile on her face, just after getting up early in the morning. She let a faint rays enter her dark room. She took a fifteen minutes walk for fresh air to freshen her soul and mind. She looked better than usual.

Part of her wanted to look perfect today, because today she’ll be able to see him again. She’s been missing him like crazy, three months is an exceptionally long. Inkigayo has been one of her favorite job – MC; it’s simply fun, she could get close to music and enjoy the bright atmosphere it creates. And now, more than anything else in the world, she’d be meeting him. It’s their comeback today.

“Jieun, you look great today!” Her manager and coordinator greeted her almost at the same time.

She entered her dressing room with a bright smile. It’s quite unusual, you have to admit it. Recently, she’s being down, looking all unhealthy and pale. But if she keeps it up, it will only cause Kai to be even more worried. She doesn’t want him to be upset; she doesn’t want to be a burden to him.

“Broadcast will start in an hour.” Her manager said as she run out of her door.

She was dressed in a beautiful turquoise-colored one piece dress. She took her mc script with her as she searches for the EXO waiting room. She doesn’t have any idea of how their performance is going to be or even their song. All she knows is it is somehow connected to howling wolf.

It took her fifteen minutes straight to arrive at the waiting room. It was rather quiet, compared to how it is at the dorm. It was located almost at the end of hallways, where rookie artist usually waits. A wider smile curled her lips up, as she saw the EXO sign.

“Jongin!” She exclaimed excitedly, turning the door knob and enters without hesitation.

“Aaa!” Two voices merge to one, forming a terrifying scream that echoed through the hallways.

“I’m so sorry!” She said with her face turning redder as she turns her back against the man and used both of her palms to blur her vision.

Her heart was thumping hard, not only because she was shocked but also because she’s nervous and scared. She has entered the wrong room, or maybe not; maybe she entered at a wrong time. She had just seen a man with his cute baby face and blonde hair. He looked charming and friendly, he’s famous too and she’s well aware of his identity, it’s just…she wasn’t very sure about meeting and he was half-, exposing his chest.

She was still wondering around in her thoughts, with both palms blinding her vision as the man plopped inside his clothes. He, too, was well aware of her identity. Being as famous as she is, it’s hard not to know her or at least notice her. He’s one of her admirer, it’s actually embarrassing to meet her that way, especially when he had no abs at all, but well his body wasn’t that bad either.

“IU-ssi, it’s fine now.” He greeted politely.

“Ah, yes. Yes. Thank you.” Jieun forces a smile and bowed, “I’m sorry for what happen earlier, I didn’t mean to…”

“It’s fine. It’s my fault for not dressing up properly. And it seems you’re searching for Kai. Is there something you need to…” He hesitated.

“Oh, yes. But it seems he’s nowhere to be found. And you’re… Xi Luhan, yes?” Jieun replied, trying to hide her insecurity.

“Luhan, just Luhan,” he smiled, “the members are out. The EXO-K waiting room is across ours. I’m sure you can find him there.”

Jieun mouthed a thank you and bowed. She quickly excuses herself and apologizes once again before completely disappeared from his sight. The boy chuckled, seeing how timid she is, yet a tiring sighs soon escape his lips as he loses all her presence and scent. The girl, in the other than, was panting heavily as the huge burden was finally lifted up from her shoulder. Yet she could sense something bad, something that probably would bring disaster – bad luck.

***

“Jongin!” Jieun brightly run to his embrace, as he spread both his arms wide to welcome her.

It doesn’t even take Lee Ji Eun a minute to revert back from a gloomy and worrisome woman to a bright and cheerful young lady. She didn’t even have a minute of hesitation to turn the door knob and run to his embrace. She was happy to see him, as much as he is inside.

“Jongin, I miss you so much!” She almost sobs.

“I miss you, too.”

“Are you hurt? Are you injured? Are you okay?!” Jieun freaks out, “Oh god, I was so worried!” She sobs, “you will never know how frustrating it is, hopelessly watching.”

He let her sobs, while the EXO member slowly exits the rom. He gently patted her back and smiled. He embraces her even tighter, letting her cuddle. He rested his chin on her petite shoulder, inhaling her scent. It smells nice and once again he’s complete.

“I’m fine. I’m fine. It hurts for a while but it has gone better. Don’t worry. Stop crying, okay?” Kai gently kisses her forehead.

“Promise me, you’ll be even more careful.” Jieun looked up to meet his gaze.

“I will, my princess. Stop crying now.”

Jieun wiped her tears and smiled, “Chessy,” she chuckled, “so… this is it. Your first comeback. Are you nervous?”

 


 

 

“Quite.”

“You don’t have to. I believe you’ll do just fine. You’re an amazing person, Jongin. I’ll be cheering on you. Good luck!”

“Then… can I have my good luck kiss?” Kai pouted.

Jieun giggled playfully, “A good luck peck. If you do well, I’ll give you another congratulatory kiss.” Jieun tip-toed and peck him on the lips.

“Tsk, one lucky guy you are.” A person speaks in Chinese.

***

“Good work everyone!” Jieun exclaim cheerfully and excuses herself.

“Kim Jongin! How dare you being so perfect on stage? That was an amazing performance.” Jieun quickly run to his embrace and kisses him.

Both of his hands were in her waist, supporting her to tip-toed even more to match his height. His hands soon travel up to her neck, deepening the kiss even more. He misses this, her moist lips that tasted very sweetly. He pulled the kiss from a steamy one to an even more passionate kiss.

“I miss you.” Kai whispers huskily, as he brushes his thumb against her soft pink lips and ended the kiss with a gentle peck.

“Ehmm! Get a room, you two!” Chanyeol yelled, throwing a pillow to the younger one.

The two of them stared blankly at the five boys. Jieun soon curl up a smile and greeted all of them, leaving Kai. Kai just smiled seeing how she could hang out with them happily. But soon, a sigh escape his lips. He could smell it and even tasted it –the faint smell of liquor on her breath and the taste of it on her tongue.

***

“Kai, are you sure this is a good idea?”

“Don’t worry, it’ll be fine. They’re friendly and nice. They speak Korean, too.” Kai holds her hand and smiled.

They’re meeting the EXO-M today; at least that’s what Kai told her. Although the EXO-K is aware of their relationship, but not the EXO-M, they’re being abroad for too much. Kai was close enough to them; he feels they have the rights to know but not Jieun. She doesn’t like the idea of meeting them.

The boy she met just now… what’s his name? Xi Luhan or something… he’s a member of EXO-M too. Sure, he looks friendly and nice. He could speak Korean too, not to mention his looks is one of a kind. She didn’t regret meeting him but… she doesn’t like the feeling of it. Something feel off and weird, it feels like he’d bring bad luck upon her.

And the rest of them, she doesn’t really like them. They looked mean and cold, barely approachable. She never saw them smile, although she had only met them twice. They don’t look nice and friendly at all, especially the leader, Kris. She doesn’t like his gaze and honestly he looked very mean and hot-tempered to her. His voice was so deep that she found it scary. She was scared to be rejected and unwelcome. She wanted to be with Kai, that’s all.

“Kai…”

“They’ll accept us for sure.”

***

12 boys were standing right before their eyes with their mouth hanging open. Some, however, manages to stay cool and rather than showing them their shocked expression it looks like they’re shooting dagger, especially that Kris guy. Jieun can’t help but dislike him even more; it feels like he’d dragged her out of the dorm and throws her to the street. It was all silence; this place has never been this silent before.

Kai had just announced their relationship right after entering the dorm with Jieun hiding behind him. Jieun hasn’t said a word; she’s still hiding behind his tall body, tugging his shirt. Jieun eyes were wandering around, looking at each and every one of them, but one seems to be missing. The boy who had just left a deep impression inside her – the blonde hair boy – he was nowhere to be found.

“You two are dating?” Xiumin asked in an irritating tone and Kai nods to answer him.

“Since when?” Lay asked.

“A year.”

“Do you know how risky it is? Do you know how much trouble you’ll cause?” Kris statement made Jieun dislikes him even more and Kai was nodding his head.

“Well then… congratulations!” Tao said, followed by the loud cheers and sighs of relief.

Jieun was happy and rather relief, they made quite an impression on her, even that Kris guy. He even cheered for the two and personally congratulating her. He came to her on his own. She found the Tao guy rather unique and adorable and Lay rather cool. There’s something charming about Xiumin… and that Luhan boy… he wasn’t there. It made Jieun wonder if he’s truly a member of EXO.

“See? They’re not mean at all.” Kai smiled and holds her hands tightly.

***

The night fall and both of them are climbing the same bed. Jieun was free for the rest of the day, she had nothing to do but composing songs, things that she could do on her own. Kai, too, was given a short break. Jieun was leaning against his shoulder and he’s against her head. It’s been a long time since they could feel each other presence, listening to each other heartbeats.

“Have I ever told you how much I love your presence next to me?” Kai stated, kissing her forehead.

“You’re warm, Jongin…” and with that, they fell asleep, cuddling to each other warm embrace.

***

“Don’t leave me… Don’t leave me…”

Jieun was startled when she felt a strong grip on her wrist. It was very strong as if he wanted to stop her from running away. As if he’s afraid of losing her. Lee Ji Eun was sure that her boyfriend is having nightmares. His eyebrows were twitching, his forehead were wrinkled. He was sweating a lot.

“Don’t leave me…”

He sounded desperate; it made her wonder what has been haunting him in his dreams. With one last look, she quickly pulled him closer and hugs him. She gently patted his back; giving comfort to the man she loved.

“Shh… there… there… I’m here… I’m here…” she sang.

“Don’t leave me…”

“Jongin, you’re burn –“she was shocked when her body suddenly felt his heat. She knows he easily got a fever but never to this extent.

“Don’t leave me… Jieun is… nothing…

His words shocked her; her heart was skipping beats in fear. What is it? What did he meant? She’s nothing? She couldn’t possibly have heard him wrong. Does she truly mean nothing to him? It scared her. Were all the words a lie? She felt like crying, as her heart was wrecked to pieces. It’s hard to breath, even to walk, she had too much doubt.

She didn’t want to think too much about it, or else she might have to sink herself with liquor. She quickly jumps off the bed and exits the door. She was thinking a lot, how could he say such a thing? She was thinking, her heart was hurting, her mind was spinning, she was about to collapse. She’s supposed to be breaking down, because the love of her life has said something unbelievable but right now… she can’t take it. She breaks down – literally.

“Are you okay?”

***

Once again, he saw her exiting Kai’s room. He never expects to see her again, considering how busy she is and how distant the two are. But now, he’s seeing her exiting his room. It made him wonder if the two of them are really dating. He overheard their conversation in the waiting room, but unsure whether to believe it or not. He’d hate to believe it; he’d want to hear it directly from one of them.

“Are you okay?”

He caught her on time, as she was breaking down. She was falling down and somehow Luhan could feel her uneasiness. She was shaking and hardly breathing, it made him wonder what have happen. Kai was asleep, Luhan had just seen him sleeping peacefully yet Jieun suddenly comes out from the room without a word. She looked very surprised to see him.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Is there anything I could help you with?”

“No. No. You should go back to your room and rest.”

“Did something happen?”

“Kai is having a fever; I need to take care of him.” She tried to stand only to break even more.

“IU-ssi, what’s your relation with Kai? If I may know.”

“Oh. You weren’t here at the time. Me and Kai… We’re dating.”


Author Note

I created this story last year and keeps on postponing it. This type of story truly isn't my style but when inspiration comes, everything turns to your style. I really do regret ever postponing it and ended up having a hard time to create ideas. So... please understood for the slow updates! And this is it... the fifth chapter! Luhan is here!!! Comments please!