What Is Halloween

I Need You

 

“Yum, lunch. My favorite subject.” Sungjong joked as the four made their way down to the cafeteria. Obviously by now, Sunggyu had pretty much accepted the fact that this trio would be the people he’d stick around for the rest of his high school career. Though it helped that Lee Hi spoke Korean. And he’d be lying if he said it had nothing to do with the fact that Kira was one of them.

“Really? I can’t stand the crap they feed us!” Lee Hi scrunched up her nose in disgust. Sungjong just shrugged his shoulders and kept walking alongside Kira. After the decorating thing happened about a week ago, he wasn’t comfortable leaving her and Sunggyu alone together. So yet again, he was following her like a lost puppy.

“Food, food, how I love food~” Sungjong sang. Kira gave him a small smile, but Sungjong didn’t seem to catch it. Sunggyu did however, and he felt at peace seeing her so happy. He then made a promise to himself that someday he’d give her a reason to smile.

 

“Ok, so here are your speeches to memorize for next week. Bring any props you need.” Ms. Hudson passed a paper out to each student. When she got to Sunggyu, she leaned down. “Here, this one’s not as long. I know English must still be hard for you.” She straightened back up and gave him a half sheet of paper. Sunggyu nodded in appreciation. He really liked the theater teacher. She always found ways to make the students more comfortable in class, including him.

He looked over to Kira who sat in the seat next to him. She seemed worried as she glanced at her speech. He put a hand on her shoulder in concern. Lucky for him, Sungjong had gone to the guidance office at the time to talk about some dance club. Otherwise, he could kiss his pretty little hand goodbye. She looked up at him, startled.

“You ok?” He asked.

“Yeah, just nervous.” She assured him.

“Oh?” He tilted his head in confusion. Kira tried to explain it differently.

“I don’t like this.” She pointed towards the paper. “Scared.” She quickly added.

Sunggyu nodded his head in understanding. “You, bad?”

“Yeah.” She chuckled under her breath. “I’m bad.” Sunggyu gave her shoulder a comforting squeeze and stuck a thumb up. She tried her best to hold it all in, but in truth, he looked really adorable and she wanted to squeal. It was rare for her to act all cutesy and girly around guys. She’d never found interest in any, but this one… He was special. That’s the only way she could explain it.

“Hey, um…” Sunggyu struggled to ask her something. She looked to him, patiently waiting for him to find the right words. “What… What is Halloween?” Ok, so Kira wasn’t expecting a question like that. It was totally random, but then again, it made sense that he didn’t quite know what the holiday was about.

“Oh, well… It’s a scary holiday.” Kira tried to find the easiest way to explain it. “Where we dress up and get candy.” Sunggyu slowly processed what she said.

“Candy?” He asked cutely. Kira nodded. “I don’t want many candy.” He waved his hands in front of him.

“You don’t have to get candy.” She told him.

“Oh… Good!” He exclaimed loudly, catching the attention of everyone in the room. Sunggyu looked around to see all eyes were on him. Everyone looked shocked. They’d never heard him talk before. He only ever talked around Kira and Sungjong. “Mianhe.” He replied shyly. The teacher nodded and told the students he meant to say sorry.

Kira suppressed her smile. He was acting extremely cute today.

“Sunggyu…”

“Huh?” His head snapped in her direction, his expression looking wild.

“Well,” Kira stifled the laugh threatening to escape. What was with him today? “Would you like to pick pumpkins with me today?” It was a Thursday and Kira was planning on finding pumpkins with her mother that afternoon before all the good ones were taken.

“Pick pumpkins?” The idea seemed silly to Sunggyu, but he really wanted to go.

“Yeah, we go out and pick them, and then we carve faces into them. It’s supposed to ward off evil spirits.” Kira said softly.

“Oh.” Sunggyu uttered. “I will come.” He smiled at her, his eyes no longer seen.

 

“So this is the young lad joining us?” Kira’s mother slung an arm around her daughter’s shoulders. Kira nodded shyly.

“Mom, he has a name.” She responded.

“Well I haven’t heard it yet.”

“My name is Thunggyu.” Sunggyu’s eyes widened as he realized his lisp. “I-I mean Thunggyu!” He stuttered. “Aish…” He swore under his breath.

“It’s Sunggyu.” Kira corrected him politely. Her mom nodded and laughed.

“Oh my, you’re a cutie!” She reached out and pinched his cheek. “Look at your chubby cheeks!” She kept laughing.

“Mom!” Kira slapped her hand away from the poor boy. Sunggyu’s face was as red as his hair. He understood every word, though he wished he hadn’t.

“What?” Mrs. Lee asked innocently. Kira just rolled her eyes and escorted Sunggyu to her mother’s car.

 

The ride was agonizing. The whole time, Kira’s mother asked Sunggyu questions, most of which he couldn’t answer since he still wasn’t quite fluent with the language. The first thing she’d asked was if he had feelings for Kira, to which both teens blushed and denied that they were anything more than friends. Sunggyu’s lisp didn’t go away after that.

“We’re here!” Mrs. Lee announced happily. Sunggyu and Kira breathed out a sigh of relief. Finally… They both thought.

Kira stepped out and instantly smiled. The colorful leaves weaved around her figure. The wind smelled crisp and refreshing. Blotches of orange, red and yellow surrounded her. Fall had always been her favorite season.

The three made their way over to the tented area where a worker stood.

“Hello, Sarah.”

“Michelle, how are you? I see you brought Kira and, who’s this?” The kind auburn haired woman behind the counter asked, looking at Sunggyu.

“A friend of Kira’s.” Her mother still didn’t believe that they weren’t anything more. Kira was never so close to someone besides Sungjong and Lee Hi, though she knew that Sungjong practically grew up with her, so he wasn’t that suspicious.

“Oh, is that so?” Sarah winked at the two. Not again! Their thoughts mirrored each other’s.

“Hey mom, where do you want-“A boy, about fourteen, came out of nowhere. “Oh, Kira!” He squealed and dropped the crate he was holding.

“Matthew!” Sarah scolded the kid. The boy, Matthew, ignored his mother and rushed over to them. He hugged Kira tightly.

“Oh my gosh, I missed you!” Matthew giggled. Sunggyu looked on, feeling something weird in the pit of his stomach. He didn’t like this kid already.

“Matt, hey…” Kira patted his back and tried to wiggle from his embrace. She liked Matt dearly, but he was really clingy whenever she visited. Surprisingly she didn’t feel as uncomfortable when Sungjong did it. Maybe because she was more used to him.

Matt finally let go. He then caught sight of the awkward Sunggyu standing a few feet away. Matt eyed him suspiciously.

“Who’s this?” He asked rudely. Kira was taken aback by his harsh attitude. The only time he acted like this was when Sungjong came along a couple years back. Speaking of Sungjong, Matt wondered if this guy was him as well, but he looked at bit different, so he wasn’t sure. Plus, Sungjong didn’t seem like the kind of guy that would dye his hair an unnatural color.

“This is my friend Sunggyu.” Matt relaxed a bit when Kira mentioned the word friend, but he still didn’t let his guard down. Kira was his crush of six years. He was taken by her since the first time they met. He was eight and she was eleven. And he was instantly hooked. Since then, he’d always waited for fall to come since they came to pick pumpkins every year. It upset him that he only got to see her once a year.

“You grew your hair out.” Kira’s sentence brought him out of his trance. He nodded cutely at her.

“You noticed? It’s only a couple inches longer.” He said modestly, looking down and twisting his shoe in the dirt. Sunggyu looked at him in disgust and secretly scoffed. That kid acted so innocent. He was only trying to charm Kira and Sunggyu could see that clear as day.

Unintentionally, he reached out and grabbed Kira’s wrist. She gasped and turned to him. Sunggyu looked down and noticed what he did.

“Uh, let’s pick pumpkins!” He tried to act as cute as Matt had. Kira blushed and nodded. The mothers cooed at how adorable they were.

“Oh Michelle, call me when you figure out their wedding date!” Sarah exclaimed loudly, slapping Mrs. Lee’s arm in delight.

“Bwoh!?”

“Huh!?”

“Mom!”

Sunggyu, Kira, and Matt all yelled at the same time. Sunggyu yanked his hand away from the blushing girl.

“L-let’s just go.” Kira shuffled out from the tent to the fields. Sunggyu quietly followed. Mrs. Lee chuckled and waved to Sarah and the shocked Matt before making her leave.

 

“This one?” Sunggyu pointed towards a big pumpkin. Big was an understatement. It was huge!

“Um, I think that’s too big.” Kira said honestly. Sunggyu only nodded and moved on. He pouted a bit. He really liked that one. His eyes caught sight of another pumpkin, slightly smaller than the first one he’d picked.

“This one!” He exclaimed excitedly. Kira looked to where he was pointing and smiled.

“That’s a good one.” She gave him a thumb up. Sunggyu smiled in victory. They picked it up and brought it to the car with the others.

“Ah, that’s a nice pumpkin!” Mrs. Lee exclaimed as she opened up the trunk. They set the pumpkins down safely and closed it up. “Now we have four pumpkins to carve tonight! Wait right here, I’ll go and pay.” Kira’s mother strutted over to the tent.

Sunggyu and Kira stood there in silence, not knowing how to start a conversation. A cool wind blew by and Kira sneezed.

“Bleth you.” Sunggyu was now cursing his speech impediment. Oh how he hated it so.

“Thanks.” Kira whispered. Sunggyu turned to her and noticed something red in her hair. Huh?.. He reached out and grabbed the leaf that was tangled in it. Their eyes widened at the close proximity. They were mere inches from each other.

Sunggyu cleared his throat and stepped back, the leaf now in his hand. Kira saw it and shook off the whole thing. She didn’t know that there was a leaf in her hair. She thought he was actually making a move on her. She didn’t know if this was good or bad. Her feelings had been confusing her lately.

“Thorry!” Sunggyu burst. Kira looked at him in surprise. He was apologizing for it? The gesture warmed her heart.

She let out a giggle. “Should I dye my hair red as well?” She joked. Sunggyu stood there frozen. She seemed so happy, at bliss. And it was because of him. His heart started beating wildly in his chest. He slowly smiled.

They laughed together; both thinking moments like these were quite nice. 

 

Hey guise. >> So I lost internet and the only way I could put this next chapter up was to go to my friend's house... She was super busy, though! >.< So yeah, that's why it seems like I was on hiatus or something, BUT I'M NOT! Just sayin... Sorry for the last.. Three weeks I think?? But OH! I went to Chinatown in Chicago and got Infinite's Paradise album and Sunggyu's Another Me! lol I also got 2 Infinite posters, a Key (Shinee) poster, an MBLAQ sweatshirt, and a B2ST t-shirt (That last one was free since I got 2 CDs.. hehe) So basically I'm broke again.. o.O Whatevs.. I need a job... Gonna go put my Sungjong oneshot up now! ^^ He's kinda growing on me(: