The Other Ex

Reunion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            The only thing worse than waking up and finding Kyuhyun already gone was seeing Sungmin return shortly thereafter to change clothes and give him all the juicy details of the night before.  The last thing anyone who’s lovesick wants to hear is how well their friend’s love life is going for them, no matter how much they deserve happiness.  And, as much as he loved his friend, he had hoped that Kyuhyun would return instead.  Sungmin’s appearance put finality to his silly daydreaming, as he told Ryeowook that Kyuhyun returned to his and Yesung’s room before he even left it.  What if that was the very last time he ever slept in the same bed as Kyuhyun, he realized.  Was that what he wanted?

            Ryeowook stood by one of the rear exits of the hotel, waiting for the van to pull up, trying to pretend he wasn’t on the lookout for Kyuhyun.  In fact, their ride was supposed to pull up at any moment and only about half of them were there. 

            “Are you sure that you told everyone when to get here,” he finally asked Leeteuk, who was looking at some paperwork.

            “What do you mean?”

            “I mean…well look,” he said, waving his hand.  “Only about half of us are here.”

            “We’re not all headed to the same activities this morning.  Some of us are going to a radio station as guests on a show and that other half are headed to a television program in about an hour,” he explained briefly, before calling to one of the managers for some clarification.

            Their group consisted of Eunhyuk, Shindong, Henry, Kangin, Leeteuk, and himself.  Now that he thought of it, it would be hard to squeeze that many people into a small room but it wouldn’t be the first time they’d done it.  The only reason to split them up would be to promote the show for tomorrow night more but now he was disappointed.  It was bad enough waking up, once again, all by himself with torturous Kyuhyun on his brain but now he wouldn’t even have the chance to gauge what everything meant.

            When the van pulled up, they all started to file in and Ryeowook trudged in last, taking a seat in the first row behind the driver while Leeteuk hopped into the passenger seat.  With Eunhyuk and Shindong sitting in the back seat and Henry and Kangin in the middle, Ryeowook was sitting alone and that didn’t really help his mood.  He shut the door and buckled in.  The driver was about to pull off when Leeteuk stopped him.

            “We’re still missing one but he should be here in a moment.”

            Just a few seconds later, the van door slid open and Kyuhyun jumped into the seat next to him.  Their old manager followed him in and Kyuhyun moved over until he was sitting right against Ryeowook.  Leeteuk told the driver to leave and they got started just as Kyuhyun was fastening his seatbelt.

            “Sorry I’m late,” he apologized.

            “That’s fine,” Leeteuk said, glancing back.  “Yesung already text me about it.”

            Kyuhyun looked over at Ryeowook, giving him a weak smile before taking out his cell phone and typing a message.  Now that Kyuhyun was there after all, he wondered why he assumed he'd be able to talk in private with Kyuhyun about last night in the first place.  He couldn’t exactly start asking questions with so many people around.

            “Whose show are we going on today?” Eunhyuk asked.

            “Minho and Changmin’s,” Leeteuk said, glancing back.

            Kyuhyun suddenly dropped his phone into his lap.

            Kangin leaned forward and whispered, “Is that going to be a little weird?”

            “Ah,” Ryeowook said, not really knowing what to say.  “Well, um…”

            “Well, what?” Kyuhyun asked without looking at him. 

            Leeteuk turned around.  “You’re still okay being around your ex, aren’t you?  I booked you on the show because you said that the two of you were still friends.”

            Kyuhyun gave Ryeowook a deathly glare.

            Ryeowook looked at Leeteuk and decided that this was a very bad idea after all and wished Kyuhyun wasn’t there.  “We do still get along well,” Ryeowook admitted, feeling his cheeks burn as he spoke.  “It was a mutual parting, so there’re no hard feelings.  I’ve visited them on the show before.”

            Kangin pat Ryeowook on the head before sitting back.  For a long stretch, Ryeowook just sat still, staring straight out the window.  After about five minutes, he finally glanced at Kyuhyun whose expression had turned rather sour.  He was unmoving and stiff in posture. 

            Having two ex-boyfriends together in one small room and on the air together sounded like a really bad idea, especially when they were such good friends at one point in time.  But he’d heard from Changmin himself that when they started dating, Kyuhyun contacted him to let him know he considered it a betrayal for one of his best friends to date his ex and explained that he never wanted to speak to him again.  And he may have also warned Changmin that if he ever ran into him again when they weren’t in public, there’d be an -kicking waiting for him.  Ryeowook wasn’t sure if he felt differently now since Changmin and Ryeowook were no longer dating but he had some doubts.

            When they arrived at the station, they had less than a half hour to get ready to be on the air and they were briefed on what kind of questions they were likely to be asked and which songs were going to be played, etc.  They had no time to relax or talk before being ushered into the room, where they were greeted by their old friends. 

            “Wookie!” Changmin hollered as Ryeowook entered the room.  Changmin jumped to his feet and gave him a hug.  “Ah, it’s been too long.”

            When Changmin released Ryeowook, he happened to look over towards the door and his broad smile vanished from his face.  “Kyuhyun, what a surprise to see you.”

            Kyuhyun only nodded his general direction .

            “Here, Wookie,” Changmin said, “Sit down here so we can chat during commercials and catch up.”

           

 

            Those were the magic words that were going to led to one serious -kicking, Kyuhyun thought.  He began heading in Ryeowook’s direction so that he could at least sit on the other side of him when he was stealthily intercepted by Minho, who hugged him from behind.

            “Kyu!”

            Kyuhyun sighed and pat Minho’s arm affectionately.  “Hi, Minho.”

            Minho released Kyuhyun and began jabbering on and on about what was new and Kyuhyun half listened with some interest but his focus was still on Ryeowook and Changmin sitting together across the room.  Eunhyuk, Shindong, and Leeteuk sat down beside him, forcing Kyuhyun to have to sit across from Wookie and watch them interact with each other the whole show.  Kyuhyun was fuming.

            When he finally sat down, he slipped his phone out of his pocket and started typing.

            You two look cozy.

            Ryeowook pulled out his cell phone and looked at the message.  He stared at it in confusion and then finally looked over at Kyuhyun. 

            How did you get this number?

            Kyuhyun rolled his eyes.  This is the same number you’ve always had stupid.

            You didn’t delete it?  I deleted yours.  Isn’t seven years a long time to keep someone’s number if you never call them?

            I suppose you two still chat all the time.

            From time to time.  Even if we aren’t with each other anymore, we still talk once in a while because we genuinely care about what happens to one another.  We’re friends.  That’s what friends do.

            Then your whole relationship was little more than friendship anyway because if he really loved you, he wouldn’t be able to be just friends with you.

            Or perhaps that’s just the childish way you handle breakups.

            The show started and Ryeowook tossed his cellphone into his backpack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter