Under the Table

Reunion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            They were meeting at a restaurant about two blocks from the hotel, although they still had to take a car there to avoid being swarmed by fan girls.  No thanks to modern conveniences like computers and cell phones, anyone who didn’t previously know they were staying at the hotel found out within minutes of their arrival and the lobby was filled with fans.

            Ryeowook rode with Leeteuk, Kangin, and Heechul to the restaurant and was shaking by the time they were walking into the building.  Leeteuk put his arm around Ryeowook.  “I’m so glad you made it this time.”

            “I didn’t give him a choice,” Heechul reminded him.

            “I’m certain that Ryeowook could have managed an escape if he wanted to once he got to the hotel.”

            “Actually, I told security to call me if they saw him leaving the building.  But you didn’t attempt it, I’ll give you that,” Heechul smiled, walking into the private room and immediately making a big scene.

            Ryeowook paused outside the door and Leeteuk placed his hands on his shoulders.  “Listen to me, Kim Ryeowook…I want you to know that your hyungs are here for you.  We know this is going to be hard for you and Kyuhyun to see each other after breaking up—even if it’s been a really long time already—and we’re ready to give you all the support we can.  All right?  I’m here for you, so if you need to talk, just let me know.  Okay?”

            Ryeowook nodded.

            “Good.  Now, let’s go in.”

            Ryeowook followed behind Leeteuk and looked over his shoulder at the group.  Kyuhyun wasn’t in the room, which surprised him, since Yesung was already inside greeting Heechul and Kangin but perhaps Kyuhyun was riding with someone else that he hadn’t seen in a while.  Henry, Zhou Mi, and Siwon were also not there yet.  But then he thought that they would all be running a bit late, so Kyuhyun should have already arrived. 

            At any rate, he took a deep breath and relaxed.  He had the chance to start talking and catching up with everyone before he had to try avoiding his ex.  Although he’d been thinking about this for four months, since Teuk called him up and brought up the idea, he still had no clue what he would say to Kyuhyun and he didn’t know how he should act around him.  They were only friends a few weeks after Kyuhyun joined Super Junior and then had dated until after the group disbanded.  It wasn’t as if he had a former friendship-like behavior with Kyuhyun that he could fall back on.  Kyuhyun had always been his boyfriend.  They’d always conversed like lovers.  He wanted to act normal but didn’t know what normal with Kyuhyun was supposed to be like. 

            As he was still standing in the doorway behind Teuk, he felt the door swing open again, since his back had been touching it still, and that’s when he felt it.  Ryeowook always had a sixth sense concerning Kyuhyun.  Even if he didn’t see him in the room, he could feel Kyuhyun’s presence if he was there.  He thought for sure that feeling would fade once they weren’t together but now he felt it again and he dared not turn around.  He wasn’t ready to look in his face.  He doubted if he even should have come in the first place.

            There was a moment in which nothing happened.  He’d heard footsteps when he felt the door open but they stopped short and hadn’t moved.  Ryeowook was beginning to wonder if he was wrong and it was just his imagination when he felt a hand gently touch the small of his back, gently pushing him a little into Leeteuk.  The feel of the hand through his thin shirt was so hot, it seemed to scorch his skin. 

           “Excuse me, Wook,” Kyuhyun said in a low, gentle voice near his ear as he squeezed past him and the doorframe.

            The touch was light and brief but just before Kyuhyun removed his hand from Ryeowook’s back, he slid his thumb back and forth a couple times.  Then the contact was gone.  Kyuhyun had snuck around him and was already halfway into the room and getting harassed by Kangin, who was giving him a bear hug.

            And now that Kyuhyun wasn’t standing right there, looking at him, he took a good look at his ex-boyfriend, who he was arguably still head over heels for.  His heart raced as he saw Kyuhyun’s face light up when seeing his friends for the first time in a long stretch.  He wore simple dark blue jeans that hugged him in all the right places and a plain black long-sleeved shirt.  His hair was dark brown and styled similar to his look around the time Spy was released.  There was nothing about his appearance that was out of the ordinary but Ryeowook simply couldn’t take his eyes off him.  He gripped Leeteuk’s arm, hard. 

            Leeteuk laughed a little and looked over his shoulder at his dongsang.  “Well, now that the first little acknowledgement is over, the rest should be a piece of cake.  Right?”

            Ryeowook rested his head on Leeteuk’s shoulder.  “I think I’m in love.”

           “Wookie!” Sungmin loudly called out, running over and hugging him, swaying back and forth as he held him close.  “I missed you so much!”

            Ryeowook laughed and hugged him close.  “Ah, I missed you too.  I wish you lived closer to Seoul so we could see each other more often.”

            “So do I but you could come to visit every now and then,” Sungmin lectured him.  He then whispered into Ryeowook’s ear.  “What do you think about seeing Kyu again?”

            Ryeowook shook his head, glancing over at Kyuhyun.  “I’m not sure.  I’m really flustered.  I don’t know what I’m going to say to him if we have to speak to each other and I’m sure we’re bound to at some point.”

           “He’s a nervous wreck about seeing you again too.”

            Ryeowook looked straight into his hyung’s eyes.  “You spoke to him?”

           “We still keep in pretty good contact but I arrived in town yesterday and we had dinner last night, just the two of us.  He probably wouldn’t have breathed a word about it to anyone else but he sounded like a nervous wreck last night.”

           “Sure he wasn’t just drunk from too much wine?”

           “He rarely drinks much anymore.  I think he only had one glass the whole time we were there.  I mean, we didn’t talk about you for very long or anything but it’s definitely on his mind.  We’re all dying to see what happens in the next few days.”

           “You mean, whether or not we’ll end up arguing a lot or something?” Ryeowook asked.

            Sungmin shook his head and squeezed Ryeowook’s cheek.  “Not exactly.  But never mind that, I have some interesting news for you.  Let’s sit down…”

            Ryeowook followed him and sat down next to Sungmin in the middle of the long table and Shindong sat down on the other side.  He was safe from sitting next to Kyuhyun.  As everyone started to take their seats, he realized he had no right to feel relieved so easily.  Just as he looked up, he noticed Kyuhyun taking a seat directly across from him.  At that moment, Kyuhyun happened to look across the table and their eyes met, just for a mere second.  A current seemed to flow between them and Ryeowook felt tingly from his toes to the top of his head.  Kyuhyun’s face wasn’t devoid of emotion but it wasn’t easy to read either.  He looked just a little startled to see Ryeowook looking at him but not angry or disappointed. 

           Ryeowook turned away quickly and began chatting with Sungmin again.

 

 

            Kyuhyun could actually feel Ryeowook’s eyes on him even before he looked up, so he wasn’t shocked when their eyes met, just curious as to why Ryeowook was staring.  Was it because of the incident in the doorway?  Was there something on his face?  Or was Ryeowook going through the same roller coaster ride of emotions as he was? 

            That wasn’t very likely, was it?  Kyuhyun was the one who broke up with him, so he was probably long since over him by now.  If only it had worked out that way for him as well.  Ryeowook had been terrified of breaking up when Kyuhyun first said the words but, at the time, he didn’t see how else he was going to get Ryeowook’s attention.  Their relationship needed serious help.  Kyuhyun didn’t really intend to break up with Ryeowook—he really just meant it as a scare tactic, a way of getting through to his stubborn boyfriend—but when nothing seemed to change, he either had to content himself with how the relationship was going or leave.  And he still wondered about his choice to this day.  In fact, he was pretty damn sure he’d made the wrong decision. 

           Even when Ryeowook looked away and started talking to Sungmin, he couldn’t pry his eyes away immediately.  He hadn’t gotten a good look at him until now…well, not a good look at his face, anyway.  He was still small and scrawny, and he still smiled with his lips and his eyes whenever he was happy, which was all the time except when he looked in Kyuhyun’s direction.  His hair was a light brown or a dark blonde, depending on the light, with his hair sweeping off to the side the way it had for so long back when they were together.  It looked a little more feminine but Kyuhyun had always liked that look best.  This was very bad, he had to admit to himself, he was more attracted to Ryeowook than ever.

           “So, he’s not completely oblivious to your existence,” Yesung said, leaning into Kyuhyun the way he always did in order to talk quietly.

           “Well, I’m not invisible,” Kyuhyun only said, finally looking away from his ex and sitting down.  “I didn’t plan this out very well.  I’m going to end up staring at him all through dinner.”

           Yesung laughed and reached across the table for a warm roll.  “That’s why I thought you picked this spot.”

           Kyuhyun took a drink of his water and sat back in the chair.  “I can’t believe that Hyuk and Hae wrote a song for KRY.  What the hell possessed them to do that?”

           “They’ve written stuff for us before; perhaps they just missed doing it.”

           “You don’t think they seriously thought we’d sing a new song together, do you?  I mean, outside of meeting up for this event, you don’t think they thought we’d reunite and sing together.”

           “I don’t know.  You’d have to ask them,” Yesung said.  “But I wouldn’t object to the three of us singing together again.  I have to admit, back in the day I used to feel like a third wheel while you and Ryeowook were together, but now that it’s just me and you, I have to admit, I get a little sick of you from time to time.”

           “Join the club.  I’m sick

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter