One Big, Happy Family

Reunion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Kyuhyun was calmer now that he was in the car with Yesung.  The agonizing hours waiting at his apartment before his friend picked him up were some of the longest in his entire life.  Of course, it wouldn’t have been as bad if he’d been able to sleep the night before but after lying in bed half the night trying to fall asleep, he just got up and made himself breakfast.  Then he vomited it all up since his stomach never liked to cooperate when he was anxious.  Then he responded to his business emails.  It was the only constructive thing he’d managed thus far and it was already past noon.

            “I can’t wait to see Henry and Zhou Mi.  I can’t believe they’re flying all the way in for this,” Yesung said, stopping the car at a light.

            “I wonder if the big actor will grace us with his presence or if he’ll wait to come until tomorrow.”

            “Siwon?”

            “Yeah.”

            “I just talked to him the other day and he said he was coming.  It sounds like everyone will be there,” Yesung informed him, playing with the heat settings.  He turned the heat up and Kyuhyun promptly cracked his window open.  He was already sweating out of nervousness.  He didn’t need to be a dripping, stinking mess when he reunited with his old members.

            Kyuhyun watched in confusion as Yesung took a right.

            “Jongwoon,” he said, “You just turned the wrong way.”

            “No I didn’t.  We’re picking up a couple more people along the way,” he admitted.

            “What?” Kyuhyun asked, sitting up in his seat.  “Who?”

            “Calm down, already,” laughed Yesung.  “Just who do you think I’m picking up?  Are you that worried?”

            Kyuhyun calmed down.  He knew Yesung well enough to know that there was nothing to worry about and sat back in his seat.  “So, who are we going to get?”

            “Eunhae.”

            Kyuhyun laughed.  “I haven’t heard that one in a while.”

           

 

            They pulled up to the apartment complex and took the elevator to the thirteenth floor.  Coincidental or intentional, wondered Kyuhyun.  Yesung seemed to know right where they were going and knocked on the door of 1301.  From the hall, they could hear what sounded like a circus full of kids and dogs on the other side of the door. 

            A young girl, around two or three years old, opened the door and looked at the two men, dumbfounded, her thumb in .  Right behind her, Eunhyuk came rushing over juggling his six-month-old twins, one in each arm, his cheesy, wide smile plastered on his face.  “Hey, come on in,” he said, opening the door the rest of the way with his leg.

            Yesung and Kyuhyun obeyed before either of the dogs could sneak out the door.  Kyuhyun recognized the small Pomeranian and bent down to pet it. 

            Choco growled at Kyuhyun and backed away.

            “No, no!  You be nice,” he reprimanded his dog.  “You haven’t called or stopped by and she takes it personally, Kyuhyun, just as any woman would.”

            Kyuhyun stuck his tongue out at the dog and walked into the living room, where the thumb- kid returned to watching cartoons and two boys, both about five years old, if he remembered correctly, where jumping on the couch. 

            “Stop that,” Eunhyuk pleaded, “You’re going to fall off and hurt yourself and then mom will kill me.  Sorry, guys, the wife went to pick up something at the store really quick.  It’s hard to get there with six kids in tow.  You know how it is.”

            Of course, neither of the kid-less bachelors knew anything about what that was like but it appeared to be a day in the life for Eunhyuk.  When the unseen child in the kitchen suddenly began to scream loudly, Eunhyuk handed each of them a baby. 

            “Could you maybe watch them for a second?” he pleaded, rushing to the kitchen.

            It wasn’t as if he’d been given an option not too, but Kyuhyun wasn’t exactly allergic to kids.  Although he never had young siblings growing up or watched his sister’s kids on a regular basis, he still knew and understood the basics.  And he actually did like them.  Especially little baby girls who stared up at him with big, brown eyes.

            “What’s your name?” Kyuhyun asked in a soft voice.

            “That’s Joohyun,” Yesung informed him, walking over to the armchair and sitting down on top of a pile of stuffed animals. 

            “Joohyun,” he smiled, rocking her from side to side in his arms as he walked around the room.  But her little mouth began to pout, now that dad was nowhere to be found, and Kyuhyun quickly began to sing to distract her.

            “Puff the magic dragon, lived by the sea…”

            For a short while, she was enthralled enough to stop crying and looked up into his face, but two-thirds of the way into the song, she began to cry.  Just as he was trying to think of what to do next, since he could tell by the way Eunhyuk was lecturing his oldest daughter about drawing with markers on the wall that he wasn’t going to be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter