BoA: Heartbreaker

Only One: Interlude

He pressed the call button and lifted his mobile phone over his ears a fourth time. He just got out of the airport and wanted to update Changmin about his arrival after 3 long days but his duo wasn't picking up.

'What's wrong with this kid?' He mumbled as he slid his phone inside his side pocket. Looking around, he saw his driver. He waved and met met up with him. 

'There's no other baggages?' 

Yunho shook his head. 'No, this is it,' he answered tapping his bag pack delicately as he made his way at the exit. 

'Do you want to go straight to your dorm?'

Yunho thought for a while. He picked up his phone and called his apartment. There was no answer. 'Actually, let's go at the office, maybe Changmin's over there.'

The driver nodded and made his way to SME's building. 

Yunho still felt a little tired. He wasn't busy with promotions but he was busy with some personal stuff. This is his fourth time and thankfully his final flight over there in a while. Japan isn't particularly far compared to going to the US but it doesn't make it any less tiring. 

On his way, he clutched his bag tightly. This is it. I'm glad I was able to make it in time. 

All of a sudden, his phone rang. 'Changmin! Why haven't you been answering my phonecalls!'

'Hyung, I'm at the rest room now. BoA-noona has been harassing me all day asking where you at the past few days!' He ranted in a hushed voiced. 'I couldn't answer your phone call because obviously...' He didn't have to tell everything for Yunho to understand. 

'I'm so sorry Changmin! I promise to make it up to you when everything's done.'

The younger man sighed at the end of the line. 'Just make sure to make everything perfect so I wouldn't have to think about the amount of effort I had to waste for you.' He chuckled. He was just teasing him and Yunho knows it. 

'Thanks for always being by my side. I do wish everything goes well.' He hung up and told the driver to go to their apartment instead. 

He didn't take even a quick nap as soon as he got home. He picked his phone again and called several people. It was already around 5pm when he finally settled everything up. It took the whole day for that. He only managed to eat an apple all throughout the day. He felt weak but his mind was alert. 

He looked at his phone once again. He took a deep breath and braced himself. He dialed her number and waited patiently as the ringing continued. It seemed forever when finally, BoA picked up. 

She was silent though, but the soft music at the background confirmed that she was just waiting for Yunho to talk first. 

'Don't be mad..' Silence. 'I'm sorry I wasn't able to pick up your phone calls. I was just really really busy meeting people and--'

'Meeting people?' She croaked a bit shocked. That wasn't the type of explanation she was expecting. 

'Well.. Yes. But I assure you it's only work related, nothing more,' he explained defensively even if he was just stating the truth. 

'You're so busy while Changmin just lounges around? That doesn't sound right to me..'

He bit his lip. He was honest but not completely at this point. 'I'm sorry..'

BoA didn't say anything and remained silent. Yunho could only hear his heartbeat hammering against his chest. 'I don't think we need to meet up later..' She finally said, her voice sounded so grave. 

'BoA, you can't do this right now.'

'Yes I can. I can end this stupid Valentine's Day tradition right here, right now.' She hissed fighting her tears from spilling.

'I know I disappointed you but don't do this, okay? It's 5:30pm right now, I reserved the whole place just for the two of us so don't make me feel so alone, okay?' He paused and in a smaller voice, he breathed against his mobile phone. 'Please don't abandon me..'

And then they hang up. 

- - -

Despite coming from Japan and missing sleep, Yunho didn't rest until he made perfectly sure that everything will run smoothly. 

It was Valentine's day so it was really hard for him to reserve the whole place for himself. Choosing dishes to be served was also really hard for him. He had to visit a friend from Japan just so he can have the finest wine he could serve later at dinner. He clutched his bag and prayed everything will be alright. 

He wished so desperately but it's almost 9pm. It's been two hours since their expected time of meeting and there's still no sight of BoA. 

He couldn't stay still any longer. He talked to the manager of the restaurant and told them he'll be back so he'll leave everything as is. 

As he half run out of the door, he noticed BoA leaning her back against the wall by the entrance. She was holding what seemed to be a cake in between her hands. 

'BoA!!!' 

The girl wearing a white dress stayed mum and didn't even look up. Her face looked pale and drained of color. Yunho grabbed her face and she felt so cold in between his palms. BoA must've been out for hours now, enduring the cold by the winter's remnants. 

'You crazy woman! What were you thinking staying outside for this long!' His voice was full of worry. He half dragged BoA inside and had her sit near the fire place. The cake that she was carrying earlier now sits on top of one of tables at the hall.

'I...' she started with a weak voice. 'I.. Couldn't decide if I should hate you or if I hate you already..' She mumbled. Yunho stayed quiet but his heart was hurting hearing these words from her. He held her hands and silently listened to her. 'So I came here, ready to just end everything and then..' She paused as her friend held on to each word she'll say next. 'My heart felt so painful. How can I even think of leaving my bestfriend?' She looked up and peered at Yunho's eyes. Her eyes glistened as it reflected the fire dancing by the fireplace. BoA pulled her hand and rested it on his cheek. 'What happened to us?'

'It.. wasn't your fault. It was me who changed..'

'I don't understand..' She asked, questioning him with her gaze. 

Yunho lowered his head and found himself playing with BoA's fingers again. He felt so vulnerable that he can't even look at her straight in the eyes. But he'll be honest with his feelings. At least this one time. 

'I've known you for more than ten years. Almost half of my life, you've been there with me. I know it was a rocky beginning for the two of us but as we got to know each other, we learned that we actually get along.' He started, reminiscing the past. 'In Japan, you helped us a lot. We're a group and you're a soloist, a little girl.. Yet, you gave us so much strength so we can move forward.' Yunho bit his lip and held his breath. 'You were there from the beginning and during the end.'

'You don't have to be thankful for all those times. I was happy to be there, always by your side.'

'But BoA, to me it wasn't just that. Your presence was everything to me. At first, I didn't care if it's just friendship but--'

BoA held out her hand and touched his lips. 'Don't say it, please..'

Yunho's eyes widened, disappointment washed over him. This wasn't what he had in mind. Today's supposed to be perfect. 

Why?

I love you, BoA.

Those were the words he kept in his heart for all this time. He didn't expect that he will have to bury these feelings again and hide it in the shadows.

Defeated. 

Yunho stood up and rummaged through his bag. Inside, he pulled out a CD case and handed it towards BoA. 

'Can I ask you one last favor, then? For old time's sake..'

She nodded her head weakly. 

'Please listen to this CD.' 

BoA reached for it and examined it. 'Isn't this my CD?' She asked, still checking it out. She read the tracklist and saw another song that wasn't there previously. Well, the last time she checked anyway. 'Only One: Interlude.'

Yunho finally smiled. He pulled BoA from her seat so they can stand in front of each other. 'I've been traveling back and forth to Japan and Korea because I was working on that. I arranged the song and produced it. I finally got a physical copy earlier so I can give it to you personally before it's release on the 20th.' He smiled again, gazing at BoA's surprised face. 'That's my surprise to you.'

'Why would you--'

'Shh. It's okay. No need to say thanks and please don't apologize. I did it on my own. You don't need to feel burdened by it.' Yunho saw BoA about to protest so she held her in between his arms, shushing her. 'All I'm asking is for you to listen to it. Do you promise?' He felt her nod. 'Okay. I'll call my driver so he can drive you home. 

Yunho left the room. When the door finally creaked open, it wasn't her bestfriend who greeted her. 

'Ms. BoA, I'll be assisting you home.'

Without another word from Yunho, BoA reluctantly left the place, in her hand was her CD. 

Suddenly, the air became even colder...

 

*

 

Author's Notes:

Hi everybody! Thanks for picking up this story and read the next installment of this little fic I did. Uhm, to make the events a bit believable, I incorporated several actual events. This time, I used the timeline between BoA's scheduled release of "Only One" Japanese version in Japan. If plans haven't been changed, it's supposed to be out on February 20th hence, this fic became a Valentine's themed story because of that.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this update. Three more chapters 'til I conclude the story :3 

SONEs will be happy to read the next chapter. Sorry, can't help for a little spoiler there :3