Yunho: Ideal Boyfriend

Only One: Interlude

Changmin looked at BoA nervously as she fiddled with the ends of her hair. She crossed her legs and started tapping her right foot in the air. 

He looked away as BoA glanced his way. He begged silently that BoA wouldn't ask him about Yunho..

'Where's Yundol?'

Damn. 

Changmin turned his head and smiled, 'He's preparing for an event right now.'

BoA glanced around, scanning the famous SM practice room. Aside from the two of them, there was another staff fixing some cords near the door. Obviously, no Yunho in sight. 

'If it's for an event then what are you doing here?'

Changmin in his breath. He didn't expect her to be sharp. The younger guy started scratching his head unconsciously as he cleared his throat. He mumbled some incoherent words, unable to organize his thoughts right now. He knew better than to talk. Less talk, less mistake as they say. But if it's a direct question from a senior, it proved to be a situation hard to evade...

BoA let out a long sigh. 'Don't answer if it makes you so uncomfortable.' She leaned back and sat lazily on her chair. She twirled around a couple of times before talking again. 'I just feel like I don't see or hear from him anymore..'

It was time for Changmin to let out a sigh this time. These two.. 'Don't worry BoA-noona. It's not like he's avoiding you if that's what you're thinking.'

Both of their eyes met and both smiled at his statement. 

'I know.. It's just.. I..'

'What are you doing here?' Changmin  and BoA turned around and saw Yunho by the door. He was wearing a light printed shirt and some baggy pants. 'Yes, I'm talking to you,' he gestured to BoA's direction. 

'Me?' Yunho nodded, raising his eyebrow. 'Well.. I wanted to practice..'

Yunho looked at her directly. She was sitting so lazily on her chair, wearing a trendy black jacket over a white blouse. To compliment her top, she wore some skinny jeans and medium length boots -- with heels

'Right.'

Changmin sensing an unpleasant vibe from the two made an excuse to leave the room. He dragged the staff outside just in case. 'I don't care. I'm not getting in between them,' he whistled as he walked the hallway towards the cafeteria. 

Along the way, he met up with their manager. 'Where are you going?'

'At the cafeteria.'

The manager laughed, 'Hungry again?'

'Nope. Yunho-hyung and BoA-noona finally crossed paths,' he answered darkly. 'Hyung shouldn't be here but somehow he is now. Worse, it's during the time when BoA-noona decided to suddenly pop out from no where!'

The manager gasped. 'She's smart. When she asked me where Yunho was, I told her you two have an event to attend to so supposedly, the two of you are busy. She should get the hint that you are not to be disturbed but she decided to defy her common sense and still came, huh?' Changmin smiled at that. 'Anyway, I just told BoA exactly what Yunho instructed me to tell her. It's beyond me what action she wanted to take after hearing the information.' Changmin just nodded in agreemet. 'But still, who would have thought that that girl would have some initiative..' The manager trailed off. 

'You're right. But it's not our problem anymore. I suggest you stay away. BoA-noona is scary right now, like always actually.'

Shivering, the manager agreed and decided to follow Changmin to the cafeteria, away from an awkward atmosphere back at the practice room.  

- - -

Yunho was significantly taller than BoA but with her scrutinizing  look, he felt so small alongside her. He can feel beads of sweat forming around his temples. 

'Well, long time no see Yundol,' she started with a hint  of sarcasm in her voice. 

Yunho gulped, 'It has been. How have you been?' He didn't like the fact that his voice cracked. This tiny woman shattered all of his confidence. 

The tiny girl eyed him from head to foot. 'You look good.'

'Uhm... Thank you?'

BoA scoffed almost unbelievably. Although she wouldn't admit it so openly, she missed Yunho's presence and seeing him right now washed a wave of sadness off of her mind. 

Right after her 'Here I Am' concert, she haven't seen or even talked to Yunho for two weeks now. Him, attending her event, was the last time he contacted her personally. After that, she couldn't get to him directly unless it's through Changmin or their manager. He didn't even pick up when BoA called him on his birthday. 

The void was even more aggravating because it's almost Valentine's day. She's alone, and she can't even contact her bestfriend so he can reassure her that Valentine's Day is just another day instead of a reminder of her single status in life. 

Being a celebrity isn't easy. They can't even maintain a decent relationship with an opposite , afraid of it's consequences that could impact their career. That's why even without an actual agreement, it became a tradition for the two to spend the day together during Valentine's. Even if it's a predetermined event, at least they're not actually alone. 

Still, it's a gathering that doesn't mean anything particularly. But the emptiness BoA was feeling the past few weeks was making her really sad and she wanted more than ever to have Yunho's company. 

'How was your concert?'

'You tell me, weren't you there to watch it?'

Obviously, BoA was still very upset and she won't be as forgiving as he would have liked. But it's not as if he has any choice but to kinda 'disappear' for a while. 

'It was great, nothing less from our BoA. What about your Japanese single?'  

It was no surprise that Yunho knows of her schedule but it was still so nice when he acknowledges it and still ask her personally. BoA finally broke into a smile. 

'It's been good. I'll be releasing two songs. Japanese versions of Only One and The Shadow.'

'That's great! It's the kind of music Japan likes best from you.'

BoA lowered her head and smiled shyly. 'But I wish I could release a newer song or at least another song aside from the two.'

Yunho tapped her little shoulders and shook it a little bit. 'Aigoo... Our little BoA is so cute! Don't worry too much and just expect a little surprise.'

BoA took off Yunho's massive hand off of her and punched him on the shoulders. 'Don't call me cute and definitely don't call me little!'

Yunho just smiled and rubbed his shoulder. There was silence again but it wasn't as awkward as before. Yunho walked across the room and grabbed another stool so he can sit beside BoA. He took BoA's hand and started playing with them like they did during their WinWin episode.. Like the way they always do when they sit right beside each other.. Like the way they did ever since they could remember. 

'Where are we going to meet up during V-day?'

BoA was glad that he opened the topic before she did. Kinda saved her womanly pride there. But then again, Yunho has always been a gentleman. 

'I think I'll be in Korea around that time so might as well go to our usual place?' She suggested, her dimples deepening as she smiled. 

'Guess no date this year?'

The little giant sighed. 'Yes you guessed it right. It that this is happening for three consecutive years now. It's even more dejecting coz now that the agency gave me a go signal to date, none had really approached me yet.' She balled her hands into a fist. 'And I'm already turning into an ahjumma!'

'And I'm an ahjussi!'

They both laughed heartily. Only the two of them can really joke about this kind of stuff. The two that grew up together can talk about anything under the sun, even the most useless stuff, and that can already make them so happy and content. Nobody can really understand it but them. 

'You haven't dated anyone for so long either, what happened to you?' BoA was generally concerned.

And curious..

'I don't know. Maybe I'm not  boyfriend material. Whatchu think?' BoA punched his shoulder again. 'What's that for!'

'You crazy! How can you even say that! You're practically perfect!'

'You have to punch me first before the compliment?! What an amazon!'

'Coz you're being silly!' Yunho looked at her quizzically, anticipating her next statement. 'What?'

'Well, aren't you gonna tell me why?'

'Why you're a boyfriend material?' BoA blushed. That was unexpected. 'You're so embarrassing!'

'But I want to hear it..' He urged burying his head on her side, trying to be cute but only in front of his best friend of course. 

BoA groaned but she considered answering his question seriously. Biting her lips, she finally let out an audible sigh. Yunho on the other had just held his breath, full of anticipation. 

'I want you to know that this is so awkward for me right now. And I'm still upset about you abandoning me for weeks!' She snapped, as a way of covering up her embarrassment. 

'But you love me either way so move on,' he urged.

She wanted to scream at him but did otherwise. She let out another sigh. 'For the sake of ending this conversation already, I'll just answer your question now. To be honest, I do consider you as an ideal boyfriend.' Yunho suppressed a smile but stayed quiet all the while. 'You're very dependable, outgoing, funny and..' BoA thought for a while debating whether or not to go on but what the hell. 'And, I think you're pretty good looking..'

Yunho brightened at that last statement. 'Why thank--'

'But the thing that's really attractive about you is your sincerity,' BoA followed cutting his speech. 'You cared for your member unconditionally, even me who is practically an outsider. You're very accepting, too. I know I'm not the nicest person out there nor the prettiest one at that, but you cherished this friendship more than i could have hoped for. And I can't thank you enough for being you, for being beside me all this time. And for being my Yunho..' She ended quietly. Her heart tightened. It was embarrassing for her to speak of her most sincere thoughts but Yunho deserved it. 

Her bestfriend deserved it. 

Yunho grabbed her shoulders and sealed their distance with an embrace. He tightened his embrace as he buried his face at the nook of her neck. 

'Hey!' BoA whimpered.

'Thank you. Now my heart is settled.' Yunho broke off the embraced and smiled so brightly. 'Now I can't wait to show you my surprise more than ever!'

She raised her eyebrow. 'What surprised are you talking about..?'

'I'm afraid you'll have to wait just a little longer for that..'