a love written in gray | gongchan/krystal

내 마음 ☆ A COLLECTION
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(for migumeki)

 

Jung Soojung loved the summer days. Despite the heat and humidity around her, she was always at awe with the vibrant colors surrounding her—at the music filling her ears as she passed by people, stores and where ever. But most especially, she loved visiting her aunt (her father's sister), Ara, a clairvoyant she'd known as a second mother since her real mother passed away 10 years ago. Ara was living in a retiring home. And it was already that time when Soojung loved to visit.

She had come early one Saturday morning and 'Auntie' Ara was surprised and happy to se her there. They had talked for hours, swapping stories about experiences and realizations.

But there was another reason for Soojung's early Saturday visit. Auntie Ara had promised Soojung just after her eleventh birthday that she would tell her at the eve of her eighteenth birthday what lay ahead of her in the future—particularly in love.

It was finally that time. And Soojung was anxious to find out what would become of her.

"Auntie, do you remember that promise you told me when I was eleven?" she began, a mischievous look on her fair face. "You know, about the future?"

Auntie Ara gave her a knowing look and nodded. "Yes, I remember, little Soojung," the old woman replied, her lips curling into a small smile. She had already guessed that this was what the young lady was waiting to talk about.

Soojung smiled back and moved closer to her 'aunt'. "Well, it's the eve of my eighteenth birthday… aren't you supposed to tell me now?"

"My my, someone seems to be very excited about the future of her love life." Auntie Ara looked at her with a mock glare. "Shouldn't you be focusing on your studies first?"

The young lady laughed and nodded in agreement. "I know that Auntie… and I've been focusing on it for the last seventeen years. I think I deserve a break."

"But learning does not have breaks."

Soojung rolled her eyes and chuckled again. "You know what I mean, Auntie. I'm entering my last year of college next June already… I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if I find out about it now right? It would be something to look forward to."

The frail woman sighed and shook her head. Then she gently placed a hand on the Soojung's face. "You've truly grown. I guess I still see you as a little girl."

Soojung's eyes softened and she took the old woman's hand in hers. "I'm not little anymore, Auntie, but I will always be you're girl." They looked at each other and smiled. The unspoken bond between them grew stronger than before.

Slowly, Auntie Ara held out Soojung's palm and studied it. Soojung's heart quickened, she knew that her 'mother' was already looking into her future. She had seen her work with other people… and it always started the same way. Auntie Ara would study the person's palm for awhile, her expression either happy looking or sad looking depending on whatever she saw before telling her client their future. Many believed in her power… because her predictions always came true.

Soojung had hoped that she would see a smile on her mother's face but there was none. Instead, the old woman's face held a sad expression—a heartbreaking sight because Soojung rarely saw her look sad.

"Auntie?"

Auntie Ara looked at Soojung's concerned face, surprised—as if she had just gone out of a trance. Then her face contorted into a melancholy smile and patted the girl's cheek.

"My dear… your true love's name is written in gray."

Soojung looked surprised. Auntie Ara never gave predictions this vague. Usually it would be informative, fruitful… but all she gave to her was the word gray. It wasn't even a happy color. Did that mean her love wouldn't happy as well? "What? Written in gray? What does that mean, Auntie?"

The old woman shook her head—as if to say it was not her authority to tell Soojung what it meant. And in silence, they sat there… the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter