My best friend, My Love

Oneshots Series Collection

Credits to MrsLeeTaemin663 for giving me the plot so that i can write this story for her.

=======

Laura and her husband have just moved into their new room. It was the start of the week and her husband was at work. She still has many boxes to be unpacked. She decided to spend the whole afternoon unpacking and decorating their bedroom.

“Oh, what’s in this box?” she sat down and opened the big blue box.

Inside were all the things that she had when she was in university. Her student ID, pencils cases, notebooks and photos with her friends and teachers.

“It’s been five years since I graduated university.” She reminisced. “It’s been a while and I miss moments that we had while in school.”

She checked again inside the box and found a few photo albums. Looking through those photos made her recall her days in university.

 

When the school bell rang, everyone in the class packed their bag and hurried out. In less than a minute, the class was already empty expect for a few students. Laura continued typing in her laptop. She decided to finish her assignment before going home. Since she doesn’t have work today, she planned to rest at home.

“Hey Laura.” One of her classmate, Dongho approached her. “Why aren’t you going home?”

“I am going to finish the assignments before I go home.” She told him. “How about you? Why are you still here?”

“I am going to finish the assignments at Starbucks.” He replied. “Wanna join me? We can help each other with the work too.”

“That would be a great idea, Dongho.” She smiled. “I will pack now.”

“Okay cool.” He stood up. “I am going to get my car. “Meet you at the car park, okay?”

Dongho winked and walked out of the classroom.

Laura packed her bag and switched off the classroom’s light before heading out. Along the way, she stopped by her locker to place the books and took out the necessary items that are needed.

 

Both of them reached Starbucks and Dongho choose seats that are near the window.

“What would you like to have?” he asked. “I will order for you.”

“I will have iced latte and cheesecake please.” She smiled at him. “I will pay you back later.”

“It’s okay, it’s my treat.” He said. “It’s for agreeing to study with me.”

Before she could protest, Dongho went to order at the counter. Soon he came back with their orders and ate before continuing on the assignment.

“Don’t you have work today?” he asked. “Usually you would leave the class when school ended.”

“It’s my off day today.” She explained. “That’s why I want to finish my assignment so that I can go home and rest.”

“I see…” he took a bite off his chocolate cake. “Aren’t you meeting your boyfriend then?”

She blushed. “How to meet him? I don’t even have one.”

“You don’t?” his eyes widened in shock. “How can you not have one when you are so pretty?”

“I don’t know.” She shrugged. “Maybe I have not found the right one.”

“Maybe…” he nodded along. “But don’t worry. You don’t have to look far; sometimes the one that you are looking for is right in front of your eyes.”

She paused in mid eating. *is he trying to imply something? Or am I just imagining it?*

Laura snapped out of her daze and continued eating. After that, they resumed typing on the assignment. With the help of each other, they managed to finish it in two hours.

“Thanks for your help, Dongho.” She closed her laptop. “If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be able to complete it on time.”

“Same goes to you too. Thanks for your help.” He replied.

“I better get going.” She said. “It looks like it’s going to rain.”

“I will send you home.” He stood up. “Let’s go.”

 

Ever since then, the two of them would always sit at Starbucks and do their assignments. When they are done, they will hang out and get to know more about each other. On days where Dongho has to work, Laura would come by herself and finish up her work. And today happens to be those days where Dongho is working.

“At last, I am done with this piece of essay.” She stopped typing and rotated her fingers. “My hands are aching from typing for the past hours.”

Before she went home, she decided to buy something so that she doesn’t have to cook at home. After that, she headed home which is luckily, not far away from the café. So she decided to walk instead of taking the bus.

“Laura! Laura! Wait up!” she heard someone called her name. She stopped and turned to find the owner of the voice. A guy with short cropped brown hair ran up to her and she immediately lightened up.

“Soohyun oppa!” she shouted. “You’re back?”

“Hey Laura.” He breathed out. “Yeah, I just came back yesterday. I wanted to see you this morning, but you were in school. I am glad that I found you here.”

Soohyun is Laura’s neighbour since she moved to the single apartment four years ago. However, Soohyun had to go to US for some family matters and was gone for 18 months. She was really happy that he came back, now they can go to school together like they used to.

“Will you be starting school tomorrow?” she asked. He nodded and told her that it was his last year at Seoul University and have a final year project to be completed.

“How about you?” he questioned. “How are you coping with second year of university?”

“It’s going on well. As usual, there’ll be stress here and there.” She replied. “But luckily I have a friend who I study with every day after school.”

And that was how Soohyun got to know about Dongho.

 

The next weekend, Laura received a text message from Dongho asking her to meet him at the park near her house. He mentioned that he has something important to tell her. She grabbed her coat and headed to the park. When she reached, he was already waiting for her at one of the wooden benches.

“Hey Dongho.” She stopped in front of him. “Why did you call me here?”

He gave her a small smile and patted the seat beside him. “Sit down first.”

“Are you okay? Did something happen?” she sat down and warily looked at him. “What’s wrong?”

Dongho turned in his seat so that he was facing her. “Laura….I….”

“Yes?” she tilted her head curiously. “What is it?”

He leaned in and grabber her hand. Laura’s eyes widened in shock by his actions. “Dongho, why….”

“I like you Laura.” He confessed. “I like you since I saw you during the first day of class.”

“What?” she exclaimed. “Are you kidding me?”

He shook his head and looked into her eyes. “I am serious, Laura. I really like you. And now that we are close friends, I think that we are comfortable with each other. And I think it’s the right time I confess my feelings for you.”

“Dongho, I will tell you the truth since we are close friends.” She explained. “Thank you for telling me your feelings. But I am sorry that I cannot return those feelings back.”

Laura knew that she had hurt Dongho when she said that. But it was better than keeping it a secret and letting him on.

“Why?” he questioned. “You told me that you don’t have a boyfriend. That’s why I think it is alright for me to like you. What you don’t like about me? I will change.”

“No, there’s nothing to change about you.” She said. “I am not the right one for you. And when you find the right one, she will make you happy and accept you for who you are. But she is not me. I am sorry.”

Tears started to form in Dongho’s eyes and he cleared his throat. “Is it because you have someone right now?”

She nodded. “Yes, the guy that I have been crushing on has just returned to Korea. I really like him since I was in high school. He’s my senior by two years. And I have decided to make my feelings known to him.”

“Well, I think you should.” Dongho gave her a weak smile. “You should confess before it’s too late.”

“I am really sorry Dongho.” She squeezed his hands. “You are really a great friend and I don’t want to lose our friendship.”

“Our friendship will never change.” He assured her. “Go and get your man, Laura. I have your back.”

“Thank you.” She stood up. “I am going to meet him now.”

Before she could walk further, Dongho called her name. She turned and gave him a curious smile.

“By any chance, is the guy that you like called Soohyun?” he asked.

She stared at him for a while before nodding. “How did you know?”

“I just know.” He smiled. “He’s a good guy and he will make you happy, Laura. I promise that.”

“Thank you Dongho.” She grinned. “Really, thank you.”

Dongho watched as the love of his life walked away from him.

 

“So is that when you came to see me and confessed to me?” Soohyun looked down at his wife who was cuddling with him.

Laura smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I told Dongho that you are the one for me. And he understands that. By the way, how did Dongho know you?”

“After you told me about him, I saw him at the library the next day.” He said. “The library was so full of students that it was difficult to get seats. Luckily, there was one seat left at the table at the far corner of the library. So I walked there and sat down. Coincidentally, Dongho was sitting next to me.”

“Was he shocked when you said that you know him?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he nodded. “At first he was, then I told him that you are the one who told me about him.”

“What else did you talked about?” she tapped his arms. “I am really curious.”

“Of course you are.” he playfully pinched her nose. “We talked about you, our studies and boys’ stuffs. But when he talked about you, his eyes would brighten up. And that’s when I knew that he has a thing for you.”

“I didn’t expect him to like you,” she told him truthfully. “He’s really nice and caring. I am so lucky to have a friend like him.”

Soohyun bend down and kissed her lips. “I am glad that your friendship with him didn’t change because of our relationship.”

“Yeah me too.” She yawned. “Anyway, that’s old stories. Shall we go to sleep now?”

He cuddled closer to her and turned off the bedside lights. “We should. Talking about Dongho, we need to see him this Wednesday for his wedding preparation with EunMi. He needs our help.”

“Sure. Goodnight, oppa.” She closed her eyes and instantly falls asleep.

Soohyun cuddled his wife closer and kissed her cheeks before closing his eyes. *I love you my dear wife.*