Losing a loved one.

Oneshots Series Collection

Upon hearing the bad news, Jung Daehyun and his best friends rushed to the hospital.

“I am looking for Bang Yongguk and Kim Yuchan.” Daehyun asked the nurse at the reception. “May I know which room are they in?”

The nurse scrolled through the computer and clicked a few times. “These two patients are currently in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). You all have to wait outside. It’s on the fifth level.”

With a thank you, the five guys rushed to the elevator and went to the fifth level. They were anxious about Yongguk’s and Yuchan’s conditions but no matter what they did, they can’t enter the ICU.

“Arghh, this is so frustrating.” Himchan banged the wall near him. “I need to know their conditions now.”

“Relax, hyung.” Jongup patted his arm. “I am sure the doctor would be out soon. By then, we will know about them.”

After 20 minutes of uneasiness, the ICU door opened and a doctor walked out accompanied with three nurses.

“Doctor, how is Yongguk hyung and Yuchan?” Youngjae ran up to the doctor. “Are they alright? Can we see them?”

The doctor looked at them before speaking. “May I know if any of you here are relatives of the two patients?”

Himchan pushed his way to the front. “We are Yongguk’s buddies and Yuchan is my sister. Tell me what’s wrong, doctor. I need to know.”

“Mr Bang’s condition is stable at the moment.” The doctor addressed them. “He suffered a broken arm and ribs. He needs lots of rest to recover as he had a few stitches on him. He will be staying here for a few days and will be under medication and supervision.”

“How about my sister, doctor?” Himchan desperately asked. He needed to know his sister’s condition. The suspense is killing him.

The doctor let out a loud breath before apologizing. “I am sorry, Mr Kim. Your sister has not managed to survive. She suffered both external and internal injuries on her body. We tried many times, sir. But we couldn’t save her. I sincerely apologize for your loss.”

The doctor and nurses bowed before walking off. Himchan shook his head and ran towards the doctor, grabbing his shirt.

“You have to try again.” He shouted. “You can’t let my sister die. She is my only sister and sibling. If I lose her, I have no one else in this world. PLEASE.”

“I am sorry, Mr Kim.” The doctor tried to pull away. “Calm down. We have tried our best.”

“NO, THIS IS NOT THE BEST THAT YOU ALL DID.” he screamed. “YOU HAVE TO SAVE MY SISTER.”

The guys grabbed Himchan and pulled him away from the doctor. Himchan struggled and tried to break free.

“Hyung, hyung, calm down.” Junhong grabbed his face and made the older guy looked at him. “Look at me, hyung. Calm down.”

Himchan break down into tears and sob. “I can’t calm down, Junhong. My sister is gone. I have to save her.”

“Thank you, doctor.” Jongup bowed. “We will take it from here.”

The doctor and nurses left. Himchan slid down to the ground and cried hard for the very first time in his life.

 

Bang Yongguk slowly opened his eyes, which he has extremely difficulties with. It seems as he had slept for many days straight. After blinking his eyes into focus, he looked around his surroundings. The setting looks unfamiliar and he didn’t know where he is. He turned to his side and saw one of his best friends, Youngjae asleep in a chair. He wanted to call for Youngjae and get his attention, but his throat hurts. Instead, he grunted loudly to which Youngjae fidgeted and opened his eyes.

“Hyung, you are awake.” Youngjae’s eyes widened. “I will go get the guys and the doctor.”

Before he could form a reply, Youngjae ran out of the room.

*Hospital?* he wondered. *What am I doing in a hospital?* He tried moving his body around but he was welcomed with numbness and pain all over. When he tried to sit up, it was so painful that he gave up and continues lying in bed. Soon, he heard voices and saw his best friends and a doctor walking towards him.

“Mr Bang, can you hear and see me?” the doctor asked as he scribbled on his board. He nodded in reply and blinked a few times.

“Can you recall what happened to you?” the doctor asked again. He shook his head as he tried to remember.

“It’s okay, take your time.” The doctor replied. “Your injuries are getting better and maybe if we check that everything is okay with you, you may go home tomorrow.”

The doctor gave him a smile and walked out of the room. Replacing the doctor’s gaze were the curious gazes of his best friends.

“Hyung, we are glad that you woke up.” Junhong smiled. “It’s been a week since you slept.”

“A week?” he croaked out. He has been asleep for a week? “What happened to me?”

“You don’t remember?” Daehyun asked as he leaned in nearer. “You were on a date with Yuchan, remember?”

He closed his eyes and tried to remember. There were bits and pieces of images in his head. Of him and the love of his life, Kim Yuchan. Her smiling at his joke. The two of them walking by the park at night while eating ice cream. Him driving her home. That was the last image that he remembered.

“I got into a car accident?” he guessed to which the guys nodded. Instantly, he became worried for her. If his condition is so serious that he has been unconscious for a week, what could have happen to her?”

“Where’s Yuchan?” he asked in a panic. “Did she get hurt? Is her condition more serious than me? Where is she? Let me up so that I can see her.”

The guys sighed and looked away from him. They couldn’t bear to see their hyung being so broken and sad.

“Guys, bring me to Yuchan. I need to see her.” He scanned each of his best friends’ faces. “Where’s Himchan? He will bring me to his sister. Guys, where’s Himchan?”

It was Youngjae who broke the silence. “Himchan hyung went to settle the funeral.”

“Funeral? What funeral?” he wanted to scream but his throat burned. “Tell me, guys.”

“I am sorry, hyung.” Jongup said. “Yuchan noona didn’t make it. She died a week ago. Himchan hyung is making arrangement for her funeral.”

Yongguk wanted to laugh. His friends are good at acting and making jokes. He wanted to scream at them for making such a cruel joke. He wondered where Himchan is. He must be the mastermind of this joke. Yuchan must be dragged by force to play along too.

“We are not kidding.” Junhong looked at in in sadness. “Yuchan noona is really gone. She left all of us, hyung.”

It was only when Junhong started to cry which made him think that this is not a joke at all. No, it can’t be. Yuchan can’t be dead. No, he refused to believe it.

“I am sorry.” Youngjae patted his hand. “We all are. The impact of Yuchan noona’s death has impacted the most on Himchan hyung and you.”

“We have not seen Himchan hyung since the day the doctor announced noona’s death.” Jongup sniffled. “We understand that, hyung. We will leave you alone.”

The guys started to leave, not before giving Yongguk a sad and pitiful look. Yongguk stared blankly at nothing for a few minutes. Slowly, the tears flown down his face. Just like Himchan, he sobbed hard for Yuchan for the very first time.