My Family

Oneshots Series Collection

I have a surprise for my husband. I glanced at the package on the coffee table and smiled. I can’t wait for him to return home so that I can give him the present.

*He would be home soon.* I thought as I looked at the wall clock.

Thirty minutes later, I heard the front door unlocked and the shuffling of shoes.

“Hwayoung baby, I am home.” My husband announced.

Excited, I ran down the stairs and knocked onto my husband.

“Whoa, careful baby.” He took my arms. “Miss me that much?”

I laughed. “Of course I miss you, honey.” I encircled my arms around his neck and pulled him close for a hug.

“Aw, I miss you too, baby.” He kissed the top of my head. “As much as I love to hug you all night, I just came back from work and I am sweaty. How about I take a bath and then we can cuddle all night?”

You released him and nodded. “Okay, I will get your dinner ready.”

=========

“Come, sit here.” You patted the space on the bed beside you. “I have something for you.”

I watched as my husband raised his eyebrows at me. “Hmmm, what are you trying to do, Hwayoung?”

“You will know soon.” I giggled like a teenager. “Come sit beside me.”

My husband sat cross-legged beside me. I could tell that his curiosity is getting higher. I took the package from behind me and placed it in front of him. “It’s for you.”

“What is it?” he took the package and examined it. “What’s the occasion?”

“Do I need an occasion to give something to my beloved husband?” I asked innocently.

“Of course you don’t.” He looked at me and smiled. “I am just surprised, that’s all.”

“Open it.” You urged.

You watched as your husband tore the package. He opened the white rectangular box and took out the content.

“You bought me a T-shirt?” he held it out. You didn’t answer and continued watching him.

It was indeed a T-shirt but it was small for him, way too small.

“Is this T-shirt for me or for Blacky?” he asked, referring to our cat. He scanned the T-shirt and froze when he saw the words ‘My daddy’ written at the centre front of the shirt.

“’My daddy’?” he tilted his head at me. “Hmm…”

I smiled sweetly at him and waited for his reaction.

“Wait… Is there a motive behind this?” His eyes widened upon realisation. “Baby, are you pregnant???”

“Are you having our child?” he asked. “Are you really pregnant?”

I laughed at his reaction and replied. “Yes, I am pregnant. Five weeks to be exact.”

The next thing I knew, I was in his arms. He was spinning me around.

“Yay! I am going to be dad.” He shouted. “I am so happy.”

“Put me down, honey.” I tapped his shoulder. “You are making me dizzy.”

He placed me on the bed. “Sorry, I was too excited.”

“It’s okay.” I touched the side of his face. “Are you really that happy that I am pregnant? I mean wouldn’t it be too fast, we have only been married less than a year.”

“Of course I am. I have been waiting for this day.” He gazed into my eyes. “I can’t wait for our child to be born.”

=========

It was the third month of my pregnancy. Everything has been going on well until today.

“Ow.” I grabbed my abdomen in pain. I have been experiencing these pains for the past few days.

“Baby, are you alright?” Instantly Niel was by my side. “Shall I bring you to the hospital?”

“I am fine.” I assured him. “Sorry that I interrupt you while you are getting ready for work.”

“No, I don’t care about that.” He waved it away. “I care about you. Are you sure you are okay?”

“Yeah, maybe it’s just our child stretching inside.” I touched my slightly bumped stomach. “Our child is growing bigger every day.”

Niel looked down at my stomach and gently patted it. “Baby, mummy says that you are stretching but please do it gently, okay? You are hurting mummy.”

With that, he leaned down and kissed my abdomen.

=========

I had just returned home from the doctor appointment. My eyes are red from crying and I was glad that my husband wasn’t home to see me like this. I went into our bedroom and sat on our bed. I clearly remembered what my doctor had said.

“Mrs Ahn, I have bad news to announce.” Dr. Lee mentioned. “I am afraid that the fetus inside you is harming your body.”

“What?” I was shocked to hear this piece of news. “Why out of a sudden you said this? Both me and the baby is doing fine a few months ago.”

“From my examination earlier, I recognized symptoms that the fetus is not doing well.” He explained. “I am sorry to say that you have to abort this pregnancy to avoid harm for yourself.”

An abortion? That was what the doctor has recommended. I touched my stomach and I could feel my baby inside. How can such a small miracle inside me be causing me harm?

Dr Lee suggested that I discuss it with my husband and family. But I am not going to do that. I am not going to abort my child. Whether or not that it will be hurting me, I don’t care. I am having this baby, and that’s my final decision.

=========

It had been three weeks since the doctor appointment. I had not told a single soul about what had happened at the hospital. Today, Niel would be coming home early. I was making his favorite dishes so that we can have dinner together. It’s been a while since we had dinner together as he was always busy with work. I heard the front door opened and closed with a loud bang. I winced.

*Did he have a bad day at work today?* I wondered.

I left the stove on and was about to enter the living room when I bumped face to face with Niel.

“Hey honey, you are back.” I smiled. I noticed that he has an angry expression on his face. “What’s wrong?”

Without answering me, he walked past and headed to the refrigerator. He took out a bottle and gulped the liquid.

“Is everything okay?” I asked worried. I raised my hand and was about to place it on his shoulder. Even before I could do that, he pushed my hand away and glared at me.

I gasped, shocked at his reaction.

“Why didn’t you tell me about it?” he hissed.

I frowned. *What is he talking about?* “Tell you about what?”

“Don’t fake ignorance.” He scolded. He moved away from me and leaned against the kitchen counter. He folded his arms across his chest and stared at me.

“One of my colleagues was injured and sent to the hospital and all of us visited him this afternoon.” He started.

“And…” I prompted. I still don’t know what he is talking about.

“Guess who I bumped into?” he raised his eyebrow. “It was your doctor, Dr. Lee. And he told me something.”

I froze. *No, it couldn’t be. Why would they bump into each other in such a big hospital? Please don’t tell me that Dr. Lee told him about it. Please… Please…*

“Dr. Lee told me something about your condition.” He took a deep breath. “But I want to confirm it with you. Is it true, Hwayoung? I need to know the truth from you.”

Slowly, I looked away from him and nodded. “Yes, it’s true and I have made my decision.”

Niel’s eyes widened and he took three strides to stand in front of me. “I know that it’s hard for you to make this decision. But it’s okay, we can try again next time.”

“What are you talking about?” I looked up at him. “What do you mean by try again next time?”

“I thought you are going to abort the pregnancy.” He replied. “Dr Lee said that if you don’t, it will harm your body. You will abort right, baby? I can’t afford to lose you.”

I pushed him away. *How dare he think that I am going to abort our child? Is he crazy? How can he think this way?* I placed both my hands on my stomach, as if trying to protect the life inside.

“You have to abort, Hwayoung.” He pleaded. “Please, for my sake. We can try for a baby another time. But I don’t want to lose you.”

“I am not going to die, Niel.” I retorted. “Dr. Lee merely said that my condition will be affected. I might be sick after the pregnancy.”

“No, I don’t care.” He snarled. “I can’t lose you. I have seen expectant mothers died of childbirth. I am not going to let that happen to you.”

“STOP!” I screamed. “You are scaring our child. Our child is afraid that you are going to get rid of him. You can’t do that. I wouldn’t let you do that to my child.”

“I don’t want to lose you, Hwayoung.” He repeated. “Please do it for my sake.”

“NO!!!” I ran out of the kitchen and up the stairs to our room. I entered the bathroom and slammed the door.

*I am not letting anyone harm you, baby.* I caressed my stomach. *Mommy is going to protect you.*

=========

And Niel and Dr. Lee were wrong about my pregnancy. I was lucky that I trusted myself not to undergo abortion. A few months later, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in the hospital. Both me and my baby are safe. Ever since that day of our argument, Niel has respected my decision to keep the baby. And of course, he took care of me and worked from home. He made sure that I am of no harm to myself or the baby.

“He has your eyes, baby.” Niel whispered as he carried our baby in his arms. “But he has my lips.”

I smiled weakly. My face was pale and body was weak from the childbirth.

“Shall we give him a name?” Niel suggested. “I am thinking of Danny. Ahn Danny.”

“That’s a beautiful name.” I agreed. “Our Danny will grow up to be handsome and gentlemen like you, Niel.”

“And he will have your playfulness and kindness, Hwayoung.” Niel smiled and leaned in to place a kiss on my forehead.