The invisible man

Beyond the horizon

 

Day after day Sunwoo stayed with Junghwan at the hospital. They never seemed to part. 
 
As they walked down the street they held hands again to keep warm. 
 
"Sunwoo?"
Junghwan asks as they walk slower. 
 
"Yes, Hyung?"
 
"Uh... Don't you have a family to be with? I mean, you're always around me... And I was just curious."
 
Sunwoo freezes up for a moment. 
 
"My family and I aren't to close... They don't worry about me to much. Don't worry, okay?"
 
After that they walk in silence, jungwhan's hand griping the you gets tighter. 
 
--------
 
It'd been a few weeks of the same routine and Junghwan needed a break. 
 
"Hey, Junghwan! Who are you talking to? Your invisible friend?" 
 
Someone calls after them.
 
Junghwan ignores them and Sunwoo doesn't even seem to notice it at all an they keep moving along. 
 
"Sunwoo? Maybe.. We should spend some time apart... I- I don't mean anything by it... But... I think I need to be alone for a bit."
 
 
Sunwoo nods, letting go of Junghwan's hand instantly. 
 
"I understand. I hope you stay well, I'll be around."
 
And with that said he left, no phone number no email or address, nothing at all.
 
------ 
 
Sunwoo peeked around the corner of the hospital, spotting Junhwhan walking as usual. He remained hidden as the other boy entered the hospital. 
 
Junghwan walked in and straight to the desk, asking for the behavioral health clinic. He had another appointment with Dr. Shin.
 
Sunwoo followed him in silently and hid in the corner as Junghwan sat on the couch and talked to Dr. Shin, a tall, slim young man with long hair pulled back into a pony tail, paler skin and small eyes and ears lined with his large glasses, sitting comfortably on the chair in his white v-neck sweater and black slacks.
 
"Now, tell me more about 'the invisible man', Junghwan."
 
Junhwhan shifts a little in his spot on the couch. 
"Well... He uh.... I don't know what it was about him, something... Something drew me to him more and more when I saw him. But no one else did, no one but me. Am... Am I crazy doctor!?"
 
Dr. Shin shakes his head and speaks softly and calmly. "Of course not my dear friend, you are only lonely. You've created this 'friend' because of the recent events that have happened. Understand?"
 
Junghwan nods softly. "But I didn't make him up! He's real! He's really real! I can feel him an touch him and see him and hear him! I- I have... A strange feeling around him too...."
 
Dr. Shin jots these things down before speaking again. "Mhm, and what is this "Strange feeling' you're having?"
 
"Well I- I cant rally explain it... I guess it's like forgetting... Losing who you are. But at the same time something makes me whole. When he touches me I feel warmth and safety when he's gone I'm cold and alone, unprotected."
 
Sunwoo watches from the corner and his blank expression turns to a small smile, it fading at the end of junghwan's words. His eyes close as the small pain sets in his heart, reaching his hand forward and touching Junghwan's shoulder gently. 
 
"I'm here... Junghwan I'm here."
 
Junghwan looks up at him, eyes widened. 
"Sunwoo! You- you came... I... Thought we... It's been two weeks!"
 
Dr. Shin looks at Junghwan concerned. "Junghwan, there's no one there, only you and I."
 
Junghwan get up and looks at Sunwoo then to dr. shin, confused. 
 
"No! He's right here! Sunwoo, why... Can't they see you!?"
 
Dr. shin calls in his assistant Chansik to restrain Junghwan, pulling him back out to the hall. 
 
 
"NO! SUNWOO! HELP ME!"
Junghwan screams as the thin, tall, but strong younger boy takes him to the hall, Dr. Shin taking more notes. 
 
"Junghwan, there's no one else there, you have to give up this "Sunwoo" person you speak of. He's not real." 
Dr. Shin says as Chansik holds down Junghwan.
 
Sunwoo follows slowly, looking at Junghwan with a small frown and an outstretched arm. 
 
"Junghwan, I'm sorry... I... I have to go. It's the best for you, I promise."
 
Junghwan struggles to get out of the hold, reaching back for Sunwoo. 
 
"No! Don't leave me! Please Sunwoo! Please!"
 
Sunwoo frowned again and turned, walking away, disappearing at the end of the hall.
 
------------
 
Junghwan was put on medication to control hallucinations and kept it all quiet from his mother, sleeping in her room on the chair, washing and changing clothes in the hospital bathroom and with a little help from a kind nurse named Jinyoung. 
 
Jinyoung would offer to buy Junghwan clothes and food and medication that he needed. Junghwan's mother was his favorite patient and he was nice to everyone, most of the time.
 
Everywhere they went Junghwan kept his eyes open for Sunwoo. Despite the medication he saw him in the background in the midst of things.
 
He kept returning to Dr. Shin to talk about his progress and his mother and he help of Jinyoung, but no mater what, he saw the invisible man.