White walls of fear

Beyond the horizon

 

He sits in the waiting room of the hospital, filling in some information for the procedure. A sigh escapes his lips as the pen strikes the paper and the nurse comes over to retrieve the clip board from  him. 
 
The sterile white walls surround him as his head falls lower, more tears coming. Today, just as every other day, Junghwan would pray for his mother. He rises slowly form the chair and walks a block south to a small church, taking  his usual place in the front pew by the Christmas tree.
 
More and more tears fall as he repeats the same prayer day after day. The same routine it had been for a week and a half now, he thought he'd lived it a thousand times. But today, as he stood to leave the church, a person approached him slowly. 
 
Junghwan was frightened at first by the figure. It was about the same size as himself, but more muscular and  rough. Once at a close range, the figure appeared to be a boy, around the same age as himself, eighteen at the most. The boy reaches forward slowly, face calm and sweet, gentle eyes under a thin layer of black bangs, and begins to wipe Junghwan's tears.
 
"You shouldn't cry... You'll make others cry as well." he says softly as he pulls his gentle hand away.
 
Junghwan swallows and tries to muster up soft words, 
"yes...you're right. I'm sorry."
 
The boy continues to smile gently, deep sympathy in his eyes as he takes  Jungwhan's hands gently in his own.
 
"You're hurt and you don't deserve it, no one does. Come sit with me, let out your worries."
 
Junghwan did just that. There he sat, with basically a complete stranger, spilling out his whole story of the rough life he's lived. All the way from being bullied in school to the most recent hospital transfer. The boy, still holding his hands, only nodded as pain grew in his eyes. 
 
"you don't deserve that, any of it. Why don't I come with you to see her? If... That's okay of course..."
 
Jungwhan looks up at the boy through his tears, nodding softly as he speaks quietly,
 
"my name- my name is Junghwan..." 
 
He pauses to swallow back some tears. 
 
"of course it's alright... I'd.. Really love if you came with me... Uh... I'm afraid I don't know your name.."
 
The other boy looks at him, pulling one hand free to wipe the tears away from Junghwan's beautiful brown eyes. 
 
"My name is Sunwoo, it's such a pleasure to meet you, Junhwhan... Even if it's not the best of times."
 
Sunwoo's eyes had a sense of hope in them, a small gleam of sincerity that made Junghwan fall at ease. 
 
Still hand in hand they walked out of the church and into the snow. Sunwoo's arm pulled the other boy closer as they walked, trying to keep as warm as possible. 
 
After a hard walk, or what seemed like it, the boys reached the tall building. Dusting off the snow before they walked inside, Sunwoo gave a reassuring glance and smile as he held onto Junghwan's hand again. 
 
"are you ready to go see her?"
 
He asks calmly as they walk hand in hand. 
 
Junghwan nods softly, keeping fairly quiet as he tries to soak up all of Sunwoo's warmth. 
 
"I'm sure she'll love you. You're so kind to me..."
 
Sunwoo smiles again as they walk into her room where she sits looking out the window, watching the snow fall. 
 
 
"U- umma...? It's Junghwan... I've brought my new friend, Sunwoo with me."
 
His mother tunes to face him, looking slightly puzzled. 
 
"Son... There is no one with you, are you alright? Come sit down... Please, you're concerning me"
 
As his mother speaks, junghwans face grows concerned and confused, looking at Sunwoo standing next to him, holding his hand. 
 
"umma he's right here!"
 
Junghwan becomes agrivated as he points to Sunwoo. 
 
His mother keeps looking and shakes her head. 
 
"Son, I don't see anyone but you."
 
----------
 
Junhwhan had left the room after that, weeping into Sunwoo's arms in the waiting room as he thought his mother had gone mad. 
 
It was just daybreak and Junghwan awoke in the stiff old hospital chair alone. 
 
"Where had he gone? Was he never real? Was I imagining things? Am I mad?!" he thought as he saw no trace of his new friend. 
 
His head fell to his knees, pulling then close to his chest with tears stinging his eyes. His tears fell silently as his mind raced until a hand met his shoulder.
 
"Junghwan? Are you alright? I went to get us some water but they were out. "
 
Sunwoo says as his hand runs circles over Junghwan's back.
 
"I'm sorry if I concerned you."
 
Junghwan looks up, wiping his eyes. 
 
"no, I'm sorry for getting so upset. I shouldn't have thought what I did. I'm sorry, Sunwoo."
 
They sat in silence, hand in hand as Junghwan's mother slept in the other room. 
 
----------
 
Every time he tried to introduce Sunwoo to someone, they claimed he was not visible. Rumors went around that the stress of his mother being I'll had made him go insane and was seeking imaginary figures for comfort.
 
At last Junhwhan left the hospital. He saw Sunwoo sitting in with his mother and became furious as he saw the oblivious look on her face while he held her hand. 
 
Junghwan ran, he ran as fast as he could. No place intended he let his feet take him where ever they wanted. He found himself at the church and repeater his prayers yet again.
 
Outside the snow fell harder, the white walls building, along with the fees of reality in his mind. He pictured the hospital, the steril walls falling an himself slipping away, Alone.
 
-------
 
Sunwoo had a sense of worry, yet his face showed done as he held the older woman's hand, her completely un aware as he did so and spoke to her in a calm, mono toned whisper. 
 
"Your son is in safe hands, he will always have someone there. Even of they can not be seen."