Fluttering wings

Beyond the horizon

wandered the streets in the dark, shivering form the cold morning wind as he made his way to the church. It was a few days to Christmasand the streets were busy with people and the sounds of holiday tunes.

 
He sadly hummed along to one of the songs as he entered the church alone. He dusted off the snow and walked to the front and crouched below the cross next to the grand tree and began to pray. 
 
Slowly he stood and made his way   back to the doors, there before him the shadow was on the floor.  Once he turned to see the being it's was gone.
 
As he walked the light patter of wings seemed to flow around his head. Eyes closed as he takes a deep breath the pattering stops. When he opens his eyes Junghwan sees the shadow again in the pale light, reflected into the white snow. 
 
"What is it you want from me?" he asks and gets no answer. 
 
------- 
 
Every time he saw the shadow something lightened in his heart. He didn't know why, but it felt like he was being lifted out of the darkness.
 
Junghwan had settled some funeral plans with the rest of his remaining relatives back in Busan. Jinyoung let Junghwan stay with him still out of friendship. Dr. Shin and Chansik became more friends than doctors too.  Every day they all had lunch and talked about happy things and what was good.
 
One thing always lurked in Junghwan's mind, the shadow. Why was it following him, what did it mean an most of all, what happened to Sunwoo?
 
--------
 
Eventually he was taken off the pills and his doctors came his family really. Jinyoung was a great brother with Chansik and Shinwoo became a father figure. They all lived in the same apartment building and saw each other daily. 
 
However, Junghwan found someone missing. His invisible man, where was he, what was the shadow, was it him? He still needed to know!
 
His mind raced as he lay in bed, drifting in and out of a restless sleep. 
Unaware if it was a dream or not, his foggy eyes settles on a shape in the room. It had wings, otherwise like a man. It was stepping forward and suddenly the face appeared. It was Sunwoo, he came back. 
 
"Junghwan~" he says with a hand reaching forward, floating off the ground, the wings keeping him up. 
 
Junghwan got up and walked forward, he reached for him but as he did, Sunwoo vanished before his eyes. 
 
"S- Sunwoo! No! You... You can't just leave!" he cries, making Jinyoung run in the room.
 
"Junghwannie... There's nothing.... It was just a dream. Go back to sleep." he says, gently guiding Junghwan to his bed again. 
 
--------
 
They all say at the table in silence, Junghwan wasn't touching his food at all as the others ate quickly. 
 
"Hyung... Is there something wrong?" asked Chansik as he grabbed a glass of juice. 
 
"not hungry is all, sorry. Thanks again for the food Jinyoung. I'm going to head down to the church... " he stands up from the table and grabs a coat.
 
Junghwan hangs his head as he walks the path he has for almost a month, sighing as he heard the faint flapping again. He covered his ears to make the noise go away.
 
Inside the church he stat in the pews, silence all around. He said the preyed once and remained still, waiting for something, anything to happen. 
 
"I know you're there, Sunwoo. You might as well come out and show me whatever you are. I sense you, I can tell its you, please.... Stop hiding." 
 
The flapping came again, the soft, gentle voice of Sunwoo came at last: "I am not in hiding, I am here all the time. Yet you, even you, have lost sight of me. I thought you'd be the one to make it happen, I am afraid I was wrong. You're not crazy, and this is not a dream, Junghwan. This is only reality."
 
Junghwan looked all around the room as his voice echoed around, finally he looked up. There was Sunwoo, hovering above him, in all white, beautiful wings on his back. 
 
"You're... An angel... Aren't you?"
He asks and Sunwoo nods. 
 
"I was a lost spirit, yet couldn't say. I met you, and I felt alive again. For some reason I could touch you, I could hold you, and you could me. But did anyone else see? The answer is no, they could not."
 
"I simply acted as if I were fully there, until I was called away. I do have duties you know, they were the reason I left. Alas, the person I had to guide off this earth was your mother..." Sunwoo speaks calmly and quietly as he can in his deep voice. 
 
Junghwan feels icy tears roll down his cheeks as he stares in awe.
 
"you were the one who took my mother? But... But why? How could you do that to me!? I... Thought you... We're my friend... But then I... Became crazy and... There is no way this is real!"Junghwan runs out of the church at full speed, eyes blurred with tears. 
 
------- 
 
He sat in his room for the rest of the week, voices calling to him as he rocked in madness. 
 
"this is all a dream. I'm going to wake up in my bed, in Busan, with my mother making breakfast... This is all a dream." he repeated over and over until Shinwoo broke him off by entering with Chansik and Jinyoung. 
 
"Junghwan, you're not going to stay here anymore... Come on." Shinwoo speaks gently and almost in a tone you'd use to a child.   
 
Junghwan staged still, not looking up as he munbled. Chansik came over and took him by the shoulders, lifting him gently as Jinyoung injected him with a tranquilizer. 
 
"it's okay Junghwan, things will be better when you wake up"Jinyoung spoke softly into his ear as blackness took over Junghwan's mind.