Shadows in the corner

Beyond the horizon

 


Sunwoo kept visible in the corner of his eyes, Junghwan was going insane. He sat next to his mother, talking about the local news and the latest presidential election to brighten the mood a bit.
 
Her operation was tomorrow and she was clearly nervous. He held her hands and told her it would all be okay until she asked a question. 
 
"Son, what ever happened to that friend you tried to show me? I'd like to meet him."
 
Junghwan freezes up, it'd been so long since he and Sunwoo spoke.
 
"Uh we uh... Lost contact really... I don't know, sorry..."
 
She nods softly and they continue talking, Junghwan looking over his shoulder an spitting Sunwoo in the corner but stays quiet. 
 
-----
 
In the early morning his mother is taken to the operating room after a few more words of reassurance and good luck. 
 
Junghwan was in Dr. Shin's office, talking to him about the pills not working again and left with a new prescription. After returning to his post outside the O.R. Junghwan sighs heavily, bursting into tears as he realizes something could actually go wrong.
 
A hand reaches out and touches his shoulder, it was Sunwoo.
 
"Junghwan, she'll be okay..."
 
Junghwan look up as him, shaking his head. 
 
"No! You're not real! You're not real! Why aren't these stupid things working!? Why are you haunting my head!?"
 
More tears pour out of his eyes as Sunwoo takes a step back, closing his eyes and turning away once again. 
 
-------
 
Junghwan curled into a ball, crying hard as Jinyoung rubbed his back, cooing softly to him.
 
"Junghwannie... It's okay, she's just sleeping, okay? She's out of the operation, she's okay."
 
He nods softly as Jinyoung rubs circles in his back, putting a blanket around himself. Jinyoung gets up slowly and checks in her beige leading Junghwan into her room. 
 
 
A sigh escapes his lips as he walks in, seeing his mother there, pale, tired and weak. 
 
"M- mom...? It's me."
 
He takes a seat and grabs her cold hand, weeping silently as he stops responding to his voice. 
 
Suddenly she spoke, eyes closed:
"Junghwan, don't cry. Please son. We all leave, it's my time now. I- in helping you get your wish... I'll be better in heaven... And you'll be loved still..."
 
More tears comes out of his eyes as he speaks through the hysterics,
"But! No! Mom! You- you can't! That's not possible! You can't just leave me! Who will I have!? I'm- in going insane..."
 
She sighs softly and frowns, "no, you're not insane. Please, let me go."
 
At that moment Sunwoo appeared in the corner again, an outstretched arm towards them.
 
"Let her go, let the pain leave her. It is best"
 
Slowly he looks at Sunwoo, nodding softly and letting go of her hand. 
 
"I love you mom, I- I'm sorry you never got to see me happy... In sorry I've been such a bad son... Forgive me."
 
She keeps her eyes closed, speaking slowly,
"you're forgiven, an you're not a bad son. You will be happy soon.. I know it."
 
Silence soon feel and the machines turned off suddenly, Sunwoo at the other end of them. Junghwan sat in the chair again, calling for Jinyoung to come help.
 
The doctors and nurses came in and took care of his mother, leaving Junghwan to sit in the empty room, his tears turning silver in the moonlight. Sunwoo's reflection in the silver shadow, wings on his back, Junghwan's mother next to him.
 
His eyes widens as he sees them, swallowing back the tears, but as he turned to see them, they were gone. More and more pain filled his heart as the realization set in. He was alone.
 
All that night he stared out the window until the moon drew him out. Walking out and across the street, he entered the open grassy park. Head a loft as the moon illuminated the trees and water near by. 
 
As he walked, letting his feet lead him, he heard the flap of wings and saw faint shadows following him in the moonlight. Finally he stopped and looked all around, the shadow was facing him. Something was in front of the moon, casting it. 
 
It was a man, arms outstretched, wings flapping gently. Ere silence filled the air, broken by a slight flapping now and again. The wind began to pick up and suddenly the shadow vanished, a small, silver tear falling from where it was and onto Junghwan's  hand.