CHAPTER FIVE.

My Obsession.

 

I arrived at school and heard someone calling my name.  It was Ri In.
 
“Jinhee!” Ri In said while smiling at me.
 
“Hey.” I smiled at her. “Did you just get here?”
 
“De. Did you eat breakfast yet?” She asked me while handing me a piece of her bread.
 
“Thanks.” I smiled at her and we walked into the school.  We ran into Jiyong and Youngbae.  Great.  I get to see his face first thing in the morning.
 
“Morning guys!” Youngbae greeted us.
 
“Morning!” Ri In greeted back.
 
“Morning Youngbae.” I said. “I’m going to class now.”
 
“You’re not going to eat breakfast?” Youngbae asked me.
 
“I ate a piece of bread.” I said and walked towards my class.
 
I walked into my class and sat in my desk.  I put my head down on the desk and put earphones into my ears and just blasted music.  Stupid jerk.  You didn’t even apologize.  Whatever. I’m not talking to you until you apologize.  I felt someone tapping my shoulder.  I got up while taking my earphones off and saw Ri In.
 
“You okay?” She asked me.
 
“De.” I told her.
 
“Are you sure? You seemed mad at Jiyong.” She told me.
 
“It’s nothing.” I told her.
 
“Youngbae was lecturing him just now. Saying how he needs to apologize.”
 
“That isn’t even going to do it.” I said.
 
“Did you guys get in a fight?”
 
“It’s nothing.” I smiled at her.
 
The teacher walked in before Ri In could say anything.  The rest of the day went by okay.  I didn’t meet them up for lunch.  I just hung out with Ri In.  After school, I got my bag ready and walked towards the entrance.  I saw Jiyong and Youngbae waiting in the front.
 
“You’re here. Let’s go.” Youngbae told me.
 
“You go first. I need to go do something before heading there.”
 
“We’ll go with you.”
 
“It’s fine. Just go first.” I said and walked off but I felt someone holding onto my arm.
 
“I’m sorry.” Jiyong said.
 
“For what?” I turned around to look at him.
 
“For what I said yesterday.  I crossed the line and I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.” He told me.
 
“And what are you going to do about it?” I asked him.
 
“I’m going to be your slave for a week.  Please forgive me?” He pouted.
 
“That’s too short! A month and I’ll forgive you.”
 
“That’s too long!” He said and I just glared at him. “Fine. A month.  So do you forgive me?”
 
“You’re forgiven.” I smiled at him. “Let’s go.”
 
“I thought you had something to do.” He said.
 
“I lied. I didn’t want to walk with you.”
 
“Why you-” He stopped.
 
“Me what?” I asked.
 
“Nothing.” He grinned at me.
 
“Now you know not to piss her off Ji.” Youngbae said.
 
“I know.” He said and we just walked towards YG.
 
We arrived at YG Entertainment and today was the day where our assignment was due.  When we got there, Mr. Yang was already there.  We handed him in our notebooks and he just looked through them.
 
“Today will be different.  I want you guys to compose the songs you guys wrote.  You guys will be working with Teddy.  I want the demos to be finished by next week.  This will be your next assignment.” He told us. “Any questions?”
 
“Ani.” We replied.
 
“I’ll see you kids next week.  Keep up the good work. I’m proud of you guys.” He smiled at us and left.
 
“Ready to work on your songs?” Teddy oppa asked.
 
“Oppa where’d you come from?” I asked him.
 
“I’m Batman. You’ll never know where I came from.” He smirked at me and I just glared at him.
 
“Yah. Jinhee stop burning holes into my shirt!  It burns!” He said.
 
“You’re stupid.” I rolled my eyes at him and they just laughed.
 
“Alright. Let’s compose Youngbae’s first.  Youngbae follow me.” He said and Youngbae followed him.
 
Jiyong and I just sat on the couch while watching Teddy oppa working with Youngbae.
 
“That’s what I want to do one day.” Jiyong said.
 
“Do what?”
 
“Help people compose music.” He said.
 
“You already helped me so I don’t see why you can’t do it.” I told him.
 
“I know but I hope to be a famous composer one day.”
 
“You will. You’re talented Ji.”
 
“You really think so?”
 
“I know so.” I smiled at him.
 
“Thanks Jinhee. You’re the best friend anyone can ever ask for.” He told me.
 
Am I really just a friend to you Kwon Jiyong?  Why can’t you see me more than a friend?
 
The next few months went by really quick.  There was still no news of any of us debuting.  We were still training.  Mr. Yang said he still had a lot of things to teach us and we were still young.  We had all the time in the world.  None of us really mind.  School was okay too.  Ri In has become one of my close friends.  She’s gotten close with Youngbae and Jiyong too.  We were always hanging out with one another.  School’s been crazy this week because a school dance is coming up next week.  Everyone is worried about not having dates.  Ri In is going with some guy named Jaehyuk.  I’ve gotten some offers but I turned them down.  I was secretly hoping that Jiyong was going to ask me.  He never said anything about asking anyone so maybe I had a chance.
 
The four of us were sitting in the middle of the field while talking to one another.
 
“What color dress are you going to wear?” I asked Ri In.
 
“Maybe yellow? I don’t know yet. Go dress shopping with me today!”
 
“Alright.” I smiled at her. “Did anyone ask you guys to go with them yet?”
 
“Plenty.” Youngbae said. “But we turned them down.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because we don’t want to go with them. How about you?” Jiyong asked me.
 
“No one.” I said.
 
“Ah. I guess the three of are going to be dateless.” Jiyong said.
 
“Actually I have someone I want to ask.  You guys should go together since you guys are both dateless.” Youngbae said and looked over at me and winked.
 
“Are you crazy? Why would I go with Jiyong?” I said.
 
“Why not? You’ll have the hottest date ever.” Jiyong said.
 
“So you’re saying you want to go to the dance with me?” I asked him.
 
“Yeah. Since we’re both dateless and I don’t mind going with you.” He replied.  I felt like my heart was about to burst.
 
THANK YOU DONG YOUNGBAE! I’LL MAKE IT UP TO YOU.
 
“Fine.” I replied coolly. 
 
“Don’t buy a girly color.  I don’t want to wear pink or purple.” He told me.
 
“Don’t worry about it. I won’t.” I smiled at him.
 
“Well we should get going to buy our dresses now!” Ri In said.
 
“We’ll see you guys later.” I told them and left with Ri In.  I took out my phone and sent Youngbae a text.
 
YOU’RE THE BEST YOUNGBAE!
-JINHEE
 
I KNOW! YOU BETTER TREAT ME OUT :D
-YOUNGBAE
 
ANYTHING YOU WANT!
-JINHEE
 
SWEET!!!!
-YOUNGBAE
 
“Are you that happy that you’re going to the dance with Jiyong?” Ri In asked me.
 
Ri In also knew about my crush on Jiyong.  She said she always knew that I had feelings for him but she didn’t want to say anything until I told her.
 
“De.” I smiled at her.
 
“Well I’m happy for you. Let’s find you the best dress ever and make Jiyong fall for you!” Ri In told me and I just giggled at her.
 
We arrived at the mall and entered the dress shop.  There were so many dresses to pick from. I didn’t know which one to begin with!  I was looking through the rack of dresses when I felt my phone vibrating.  It was a text from Jiyong.
 
NO TRAINING SESSION TODAY. SO JUST GO HOME AFTER SHOPPING.
-JIYONG.
 
ALRIGHT. WAIT WHY ISN’T THERE TRAINING TODAY?
-JINHEE.
 
I DON’T KNOW. TEDDY HYUNG SAYS WE GET A DAY OFF.
-JIYONG.
 
AH. I SEE. ALRIGHT THEN :]
-JINHEE.
 
DID YOU PICK YOUR DRESS YET?
-JIYONG
 
NOT YET. THERE’S TOO MANY DRESSES! I’VE NEVER SEEN THIS MANY DRESSES BEFORE! IT’S SO AMAZING.
-JINHEE
 
WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED? ONLY YOU JINHEE.
-JIYONG.
 
WHAT?
-JINHEE
 
NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL. GO FIND A DRESS AND TEXT ME THE COLOR SO I CAN GO BUY A TIE!
-JIYONG.
 
OKAY. I’LL TALK TO YOU LATER.
-JINHEE
 
ALRIGHT. TEXT ME WHEN YOU GET HOME SO I KNOW YOU’RE SAFE.
-JIYONG.
 
YES DAD.
-JINHEE.
 
I couldn’t stop smiling.  Today was absolutely a perfect day.  I can’t wait to go to the dance with Jiyong!  After a few hours of looking for dresses, we finally found them.  Ri In bought a yellow stapless dress that goes down to the floor.  The dress flowed and it was really pretty.  It fit Ri In’s body shape.  Jaehyuk is going to love it!  I ended up buying a navy blue Roman one strap dress that went to the floor too.  I was surprised how well it fit me.  One more week and I’ll be able to go to the dance with Jiyong!
 
It was two days before the dance.  Youngbae and I were in the studio finishing our last touches with the demo that was due in a few days.  We were in the studio with Teddy oppa.  He was tweaking things out for us while we were watching him.  It’s amazing to see him work like this.  
 
“Where’s Jiyong?” Oppa asked us.
 
“He said he had to do something before coming here.” Youngbae answered.
 
“Ah I see. So Jinhee you excited?” Teddy smirked at me.
 
“What are you talking about?” I asked him.
 
“Don’t play dumb with me! I know you’re going to the dance with Jiyong. I know about your little crush.” He smirked at me.
 
“How’d you find out?!” I asked him.
 
“The only person who would never find out is that idiot himself.  He’s too stupid.” He told me.
 
“I agree with hyung. Ji’s too dense but the whole world knows about it.”
 
“The whole world?!”
 
“I’m just kidding. But it doesn’t take a scientist to figure out you have feelings for him.” Youngbae told me.
 
“You didn’t tell anyone right oppa?”
 
“I don’t have to. They already know but don’t worry we won’t say anything.” He smiled at me.
 
“Thanks. And yeah I’m really excited.” I smiled at him.
 
“That’s good. Have fun.” He told me and the door opened.
 
Jiyong walked through the door with a big smile on his face.  I wonder why he’s so happy.
 
“What’s with that smile? Why are you so happy?” Teddy oppa asked him.
 
“Hyung. Today’s the best day of my life.” Jiyong smiled.
 
“Why is that?”
 
“The girl that I like asked me to the dance.” He said.
 
Wait. He likes someone?  And he’s going to the dance with someone else?  Did he forget he had a date?
 
“Who?!” Oppa asked him.
 
“Kim Jina.” He replied.
 
Kim Jina was one of the popular girls at our school.  She was in Jiyong’s year.  She had it all. She was smart, beautiful, and athletic.  Every guy wanted to be with her.  I’m not surprised that Jiyong likes a girl like her.
 
“Jinhee.” Jiyong said. “I know I said that I’ll be your date but we agreed to go with each other because we both were dateless.  Is it cool if I go with Jina?” 
 
I felt my heart breaking.  Is he that dense to not know how I feel about him?  How can he just do this to me?  Now I know that I’ll never have a chance with him.
 
“De.” I smiled at him. “Go with her.”
 
“Thanks! You’re the best. But who are you going to go with?” He asked me.
 
“She’s going with me.” Youngbae answered.
 
“I thought you had a date?”
 
“She canceled.” Youngbae answered.
 
“Well I guess it worked out for all of us!” Jiyong answered. 
 
“Yeah.” I said softly. “I’m going to go out for some air.”
 
I grabbed my jacket and left the room.  I didn’t want to be near Jiyong right now.  This is a sign for me to give up on him.  I shouldn’t keep on clinging on to him.  It’s been two years now and no progress.  He’ll never view me as a woman.  Maybe it’s my time to let Jiyong go.