oo3

C H O S E N

 

tumblr_mglv6zhMso1qbckpfo4_250.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

Her stomach felt knotted and twisted, like she was having the worse cramps in her life.

“What is this?” She didn’t bother going back to class. She stumbled off the field and brought herself to the wall that was known to be the easiest wall to climb when sneaking in or out of school. With each passing second her stomach ached more and more to a pain so excruciating she couldn’t even begin to explain it. She leaned against the wall doubled over, her arms clenching her stomach as tightly as she could. “You better stop.” She grunted, demanding the pain to stop and when it didn’t, she just screamed, reached the top of the wall and pulled herself over. She didn’t care to land safely; she was hurting so bad she just dropped herself to the other side.

Thankfully there was something beneath her that broke her fall.
Turned out it was a person.

“What the hell? Get off me!”
Sohyun unintentionally ignored the yells of the person she fell on because she was too busy heaving.
“Yah…what’s wrong…are you throwing up?”
Sohyun wished. It hurt too much to call it vomiting. She heaved so much her body wasn’t able to allow her screams to escape and then finally something flew out of . She gasped for air and the boy she fell on panicked and shook her.
“Yah, were you choking? Did you eat something while you were going over the wall?”
“Christ, felt like I just gave birth!”
He sneered. “Crazy girl, you just…”

They both stood still when they noticed something out the corner of their eyes moving. The thing that just came out of Sohyun’s mouth. It was a clump of fur matted in her saliva but then it unfolded and stretched. And then it cried.

“Omona, maybe you really did give birth.”
“What?” She shrieked.

It didn’t really look like a normal animal. It had rabbit like white fur and ears, a head too big for its cat shaped body, a fox tail and wings.

“Maybe it’s a monster.” The boy said with interest. He stepped closer to it while Sohyun widened her eyes. What was a thing like that coming from inside her body? The was going on?

And then she realized the boy who she was troubling turned out to be a second year student like her, Jung Ilhoon, who used to be a “boss” for the second years, fighting with other class leaders in other grades just to wreak havoc among those weaker than them, but after losing his parents to a terrible earthquake earlier in the year, he stopped fighting and he hardly attended school. This would be Sohyun's first time encountering him directly.

“I just came from seeing a giant snail like creature before I made my way over to school.” He announced lifting the newborn creature into his hand, too comfortable with it for Sohyun’s sake. At the same time, she picked up on what he had been up to when he wasn't attending school, a hobby being a bit unrealistic.

“There hasn’t been a monster sighting since the safety zones were created. It’s been hundreds of years.”

“They still happen.” Ilhoon corrected smartly. “The countries keep the sightings low key. Most of the monsters go into hiding anyway because they don’t stand a chance against our technology. I have no idea why that snail creature came out of the Han River. Must have been there for decades but it decided to come out. Must have been scared of what was happening in the waters. I hid under the bridge while the Authorities took care of it.”

Sohyun paused, stared blankly at the thing Ilhoon was holding in his hand, the thing that came from her body, and spoke.

“How normal is it for humans to throw up…monsters?”

Ilhoon laughed and shrugged. “Can’t say it’s too much in the norm because it’s never been noted in history, however no one has any idea where monsters came from. When the sun returned, we just got them. Maybe we were throwing them up like you, hahaha.”

“…this isn’t funny.” She said with the most serious expression ever.
“Right…who are you by the way?”
“2nd Year Kwon Sohyun.”
The name was familiar to him, and he realized she was a girl he'd always seen in his year, but never talked to face to face before.
“I’m Ilhoon.”
“I know.”
“…of course.” He nervously laughed and changed the topic. “Cute!”
“What?” She shifted her eyes to the thing he was cradling.
“This little creature. It’s the cutest little monster I’ve seen.”
“Oh…have fun with it then.” Sohyun could not bear to be around that thing or Ilhoon taking a strange interest in the creature either any longer. She decided to leave but as soon as she took a step forward she was instantly floored from the pain. Her pain hadn’t full subsided from the shock it went through. Ilhoon came to Sohyun’s side and helped her up.

“You must have took some serious damage with this thing coming out of you.”
“Shut up.”
“Oh? Don’t you know I’m your sunbae even though we're in the same grade?” He looked at her like she had gone crazy, which she probably did. He was only a few inches taller than her, but tall enough to conclude that he was the senior of the two. Sohyun slouched and her head was hanging like she couldn’t keep it up. “Hop on.”
“Hop on what?” Her voice became slurred, but as soon as she realized Ilhoon was crouching down gesturing for her to get on his back she got informal with him again. “Are you crazy? I don’t even know you.”
“Look, I don’t want to carry you any more than you do but I can’t leave you here being this sick.”

Ilhoon didn’t have time to convince her more when the school security guard looked over the fence and saw the two outside the school grounds. He pointed at them menacingly.

“You two! You are supposed to remain indoors at all times!” He threw a leg over the wall and struggled to get the rest over. While he worked on that obstacle, Ilhoon took Sohyun’s arms and locked them around his neck.

“You don’t have a choice anymore.” He said smirking while he let Sohyun adjust herself to a comfortable position and frown the whole time.

“I hope this isn’t considered two timing.” She muttered.
“You’re in a relationship?”

“You two!” The security guard had finally made it over and was still pointing at the adolescents. “Don’t even think about running.” He only wanted them to be inside a building.  Those were the rules nowadays.  To remain indoors, whether at home or at school, students should not wander off into the world that was becoming reckless…
“Piss off.”

Ilhoon started off with a sprint but noticed it was giving Sohyun a hard time. He slowed down in her favor but the guard began to catch up. “Should we call it quits?” It was like he didn’t care about the outcome either way, as long as it was ok with Sohyun, he’ll abide by it. “Sohyun?” She wasn’t answering his question. Instead, she was being weird again, with that painful feeling in her stomach. She tried to tell Ilhoon to put her down, but then…