You Cannot Escape [EPILOGUE]

C H O S E N

She had plunged herself in a vortex, burying herself deeper into the earth like a bullet.   Her mind went blank, her body felt numb; she was using all the energy in her body to cure the world of its disease.  There would be no more earthquakes, no more tsunamis, nothing to cause Earth to go through its second ending.  She was no longer human and now barely an Angel.  Surely she felt like she would be torn to shreds from the impact, but soon she realized everything had stopped.  She had completely stopped moving and landed somewhere.  The ground beneath her was hot; the air was cloudy and damp.  She attempted to lift herself which caused her arms to shake terribly.  They were bruised and bloodied from the tearing in her skin.  She could only see out of one eye, and when she had a visual on her surroundings, she had wished she was blind.

It was a mountainous area with no sky.  There was nothing but darkness prevailing the setting as well as the thunderous roars of monsters, their silhouettes only shown in the distance.  What was worse were the endless groups of bodies pierced and stacked on large poles that seemed to be everywhere.  These people had been brutally murdered, but they weren’t just people.  There were wings, some torn, some broken, but wings on each and every one of them.  They were all Angels and they were all dead.

“So you’ve finally came.”  A male voice echoed from above.  Sohyun looked up to see a tall slim figure floating down.  They had the same type of wings as everyone else.  When the male finally landed, Sohyun noticed his torn clothing.  They were dark but they were definitely stained with blood.  What frightened her even more was the smile on his face.  “Sohyun, Angel descendant of Michael.  How nice of you to join us.”

The dead bodies on the poles suddenly began .  They stretched out their arms directing them at Sohyun and made indiscernible sounds.  She turned away from them, not wanting to be touched.  The male laughed finding her fear amusing.

“They definitely don’t want to harm you.”  He stated almost as if he was trying to re-assure her that they were harmless but at the same time, the way he went about announcing it so casually implied he had something to do with the state they were in.  Sohyun didn’t trust his word and took a step back.  Something slipped around her ankle and she screamed.  She looked down to find someone not pinned to a pole but they were still in bad shape.  Their wings had been torn from their body and they lied on the floor, barely lifting up their head to speak.  Sohyun squinted her eyes and knelt down.  She brushed hair out of the person’s face and recognized them instantly.

“Eunji…”

“Ah, her!”  The male enthusiastically spoke.  “Quite the troublemaker, that one.  She put up a good fight.”

“What did you do to her?”  Sohyun yelled.  She pulled Eunji in her arms, the angel barely breathing but trying to force words from .  The male continued to laugh while Sohyun went from being confused to angry.  Eunji called for her to lean in closer and she did.  She could only make out one word.

“Run.”

“Where are my manners?”  The male began to introduce himself as though it was like any other casual first meet.  “My name is Jaejoong.  Angel Descendant of Gabriel.  And this is…”

“Jihyun.”  Another figure dropped down to the same part everyone was gathered at.  It was a beautiful young woman whose wings were different.  Her wings were black and larger.  They took up three yards on each of her sides.  She smiled down coolly at both angels on the ground, while Eunji had widened her eyes, anger and fear striking her.  “I’m the Angel descendant of Gabriel but I am also the Angel descendant of Lucifer.”

Sohyun held on to Eunji’s hand tightly. The Angels Jaejoong and Jihyun went to stand next to each other side by side.

“This is where Angels come to die.” Jihyun informed Sohyun, their newly addition to the gathering.  “A den where you will only meet war and death.”

“We’ll tell you a little secret, Sohyun.” Jaejoong added.  “God is dead, and because we no longer care about the human race, we plan on wiping it out.”

“But Angels, like Eunji over here, keep trying to play super hero, constantly ruining our plans.”

“However, no matter how many times you try, we will always find a way to wipe the existence of mankind.”

“And everyone will perish in hell.”

Sohyun lowered her gazed, somehow feeling defeated as though all her efforts of saving the planet had been a waste.  Right when she felt that it had been the ending, she had only just walked into the middle of it, with promise of her life ending up like the rest of the angels on the poles.  Jihyun walked over to the crying girl and knelt down to her.  She caressed her cheek softly and smiled idly.  “There is no need to cry when there was never hope to begin with.”  Sohyun couldn’t help but sob while the daunting angel continued to grin like everything was ok.  “Sohyun, we are all doomed both physically and spiritually for all eternity.  Until you realize this, you will only suffer until it happens.  I’m right when I say: we cannot escape.”

But she was actually wrong.

 

END [?]