o17 - part II (Eunji)

C H O S E N

Then Sohyun was in a different city and a different atmosphere.  The roads weren’t buckled or cracked.  Cars drove about on them; people filled the streets and sidewalks and bought items from stores.  It was normal again.  She touched her clothes, which were a long white t-shirt, spandex shorts and flip flops she had slipped into before taking her nap after breakfast at home.  She couldn’t tell if she was hallucinating or dreaming or if it were actually happening—it felt like it was actually happening.

A sports car pulled up beside her and the passenger door opened.  The person in the driver’s seat told her to get in and for whatever reason she did.  As soon as she buckled in they sped off.  Sohyun got a good look at the person driving and it was someone she never met before.  A very young woman in her early 20s or so with brown hair and browner eyes.  She caught Sohyun staring at her which caused her to smile.  She had a really big mouth, Sohyun thought.

“We finally meet.” She spoke.  Her voice was very strong but soothing.  Sohyun felt like she could trust her.

“Where am I?”  Sohyun asked first.  “What’s going on?”
“I’m giving you a tour.”  The older girl answered with her smile intact.  “You’re sleeping, Sohyun, but I’m using your dreams as a way to connect with you.”

As crazy it sounded, Sohyun thought it made complete sense and at least with that revelation she could rest easy knowing that nothing was real at the moment. “Oh it’s very real.”  The girl interrupted her thoughts which caused Sohyun to stare at her again.  “You see,” She continued, “I’m giving you a historical tour.  Things that have already happened.  That place you were just in filled with monsters and mayhem….yeah, that happened forreal.”

Sohyun was looking at the girl oddly but she listened closely because this was probably going to answer all her unanswered questions.

“Call me Eunji by the way.”

Sohyun nodded and hesitantly spoke.  “And…where are we now?”

“Oh just cruising.”  Eunji casually spoke.  “The place you were at before was the aftermath of Earth dying the first time.  Here now is what the world was like before it got crazy.”

Sohyun looked out the car windows to study her surroundings.  She was confused.  “Wait, you mean to tell me that this is what the old world looked like?”  Eunji nodded and Sohyun looked around again.  “There isn’t much of a difference.”  She was a bit disappointed but she also didn’t know what to anticipate.  There were cars, clothing trends and landscapes that weren’t that different looking from her current time.  Sure the trees, grass, flowers and anything else nature related in her time were fake but it still had the same purpose.

Eunji began to explain, “Your current world is built on the image of the old world and though thousands of years apart, you guys had to start over so you’re pretty much at even times except…you had less resources.  To be honest, I don’t think anyone was expecting flying cars.”  She was laughing like she told a funny joke and Sohyun didn’t get it.  “Oh and I’m sorry about Arachane by the way.  She gets her insanity from me.”

“Who is Arachane?”

“You know.  The spider demon.  The one with the face?”  Eunji had a lot of sarcasm in her voice and she kept laughing like she was telling a one liner but she stopped when she saw Sohyun was baffled.  “I should just get on with my point then.”  She yanked the car wheel and steered a hard right.  Sohyun adjusted in her seat and yelled.  As soon as the car stopped swerving they were no longer on the road or driving in the city but in a forest.  The same forest Sohyun had been to.