o15

C H O S E N

tumblr_mglw45R0221qbckpfo7_250.pngLike dinner the previous night, breakfast was a bit awkward as well.  The family watched as Sohyun ate her food comfortably and Ilhoon felt out of place being thrown into such a situation.  It wasn’t a bit too farfetched.  Sohyun was gone when everyone woke up, and she returns home with a boy, and the only introduction they got was,


“He’s my friend from school and he’s eating with us.”

So there he was, “eating” with the Kwons.  Sohyun annihilated her hot cakes and aimed for Ilhoon’s.

“I’m eating this.”  He told her.
“I didn’t see you.”
“Well I am.”
“Aissh…I normally eat four.”
“So?”

Sohyun let out another angry sigh and her mother decided to step in before Sohyun threw a fit knowing how crazy the teenager got when she didn’t have her food.

“Sohyun-ah, don’t you think you should be kinder to your guess?  You did invite him afterall.”
“Oh right.”  Sohyun seemed to have forgotten that bit and the part where she would have had her daily dose of four hotcakes if she didn’t invite him over.  “Can we adopt Ilhoon?”

Her father spat out his coffee while her mother dropped her jaw and both Haeyoung and Ilhoon gave her their most baffling look.  “What?”

“Kwon Sohyun…what is this nonsense you’re saying?”  Her mother asked, trying to laugh it off but it wasn’t catching on.  Sohyun was being serious.

“Ilhoon is still a minor." Sohyun pointed out, justifying her reasonable suggestion.  "He should have parents.  I want you two to adopt him.”  With such straightforward demands the parents couldn’t help but be speechless.  Haeyoung, as usual, did not have any words on the matter either.

Ilhoon, extremely uncomfortable at this point, decided to speak. “What are you doing?”
“Did I ask something wrong?”
“Are you being serious?  Are you asking your family to take in someone they’ve barely known for five minutes?”

A few of them began clearing their throat and Sohyun did her infamous scoff.  She sat down her fork and wiped , very displeased at the reaction she was getting.

“You people are funny.”  She snidely spoke.  “In times like these where you say family is important but you are too selfish to extend a nurturing hand to someone who is alone, isn’t that a bit contradicting?”  She removed herself from the table, before taking one last bite of her food.  She had no idea why she was the only one making sense in the family.  Ms. Kwon caught up to her right when she was about to proceed to her room.

“What’s wrong?”  Her mother asked.  They needed to get things straight, and figure out where their sanity stood in the midst of it all.  “Are you scared?  Angry?  I’m scared too—we all are.”

“That’s not it.”  Sohyun corrected.  “I just don’t want him to be lonely.  You should seriously consider adopting him.  He doesn’t have anyone else.”

Ms. Kwon honestly had no idea what was going through her child’s head,  or if the girl was even being serious or had gone insane, but she nodded and even promised to do as Sohyun wished.  After all, there was only a day or two left to live.  She cupped Sohyun’s head in her hands and nodded with a smile.  “Sure Sohyun.  We’ll do just that.”