Unspoken Truth

Serendipity; A 윤보아 Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

unspoken truth

ft: yunho/boa

pg-13

--

 

He arises that morning, a little past eight, to find his hand brushing against the empty side of his bed. Inwardly groaning, he forces himself to sit up groggily before glancing at the clock to his left. Yunho need not fully be awake to realise the glaring pink sticky note staring unnecessary into his face. He promptly reaches out and removes the note in a single swift movement before bringing it closer to his face.

Good morning, lazy Jung.
Breakfast is waiting for you on the table and…uh…I burnt your bacon. Sorry. Keke.

A chuckle escapes Yunho’s lips before he drags himself out from the bed, slaps the note against the wall and makes his way towards the bathroom. He is very much aware that he will be late for work if he does not hurry yet he sees no reason for him to be rushing through his morning. After all, being the head has its perks.


--


Forty five minutes later, Yunho bursts into the room and is immediately surrounded by three members of his investigating team. The man closest to his side hands a brown folder to him, mumbling a string of sentences without once stopping to catch his breath. The other two members tail behind patiently, only jumping into the conversation when the man earlier finally stops talking.

“Sir, I finally figured out the hidden message in the email. It took me a while to separate all the irrelevant words in the content, but if you look properly-and diagonally-you’ll be able to see a single word formed, sir.”

Yunho grabs the piece of paper from his subordinate’s hand and studies the note as proposed. He smiles blandly when he sees the word and glances at the young man bearing a grin on his face. “Good job, Jonghyun.”

Then, he turns to look at his right, towards the man that had first approached him earlier. “Gather everyone in the meeting room, Changmin-ah. It’s time for another operation.”


--


The operation is simple, Yunho explains.

One of the team members would pose as an interested buyer. He would arrive at the destination as mentioned in the email they had hacked into, and he would bring along a bag filled with fake cash. When he opens the crate to confirm the goods he had ordered, he would see the packages of drugs, and so will Yunho and the others few metres from the spot via the camera pinned on his jacket. That would be the signal for the rest of the team to move in, cornering the dealers and placing their sorry asses behind bars.

“They will clearly not be expecting this since we’ve been investigating in silent.” He continues. “There is a risk, of course. But if everything goes well—and I’m sure it would—we’ll finally be able to succeed in capturing the Triad gang. We’ve waited five months for this one moment where they’d be careless to reveal their dealing spot, and now that it has finally come, I expect everything to run smoothly. Understand?”

A chorus of ‘yes sir’ is heard before Yunho nods his head and throws a smile at his team. “Good job everybody, meeting dismissed.”

One by one rises from their seats and leaves the room. Yunho however, with arms crossed against his chest, remains rooted in his position. “Hold on there, young lady. Where do you think you’re going?”

A petite lady about five feet two stops her movement towards the door. She tosses a look over her shoulders before turning around slowly to meet his gaze, a hint of playfulness amidst the sternness in his eyes. “What is it, sir?” The emphasis on the last word manages to turn the corners of Yunho’s mouth upward as he takes a few steps forward.

Yunho towers over the lady effortlessly as he halts in front of her. She throws an unamused look at her department head. Before she could say anything though, he flicks her forehead. “How dare you burnt my bacon this morning! My stomach feels funny now, and I’m blaming it on your cooking!”

BoA glares at the man and fights the urge to retaliate. “If you don’t want to eat it, then you don’t have to!” She rubs the spot he had hit earlier, “That hurts, yknow!”

“Do you want me to kiss the pain away?”

She punches him in the arm this time. “Yah! We’re at work now and we need to remain professional—“

“Oh screw being professional,” Yunho waves the thought away and leans in to kiss his girlfriend on the lips. “We’ve been professional for several months, one kiss won’t hurt.”

BoA manages a smile with his lips press against hers. “You’re in an awfully good mood today,” She mumbles when they pulled apart. He responds with a dazed grin, “I have a feeling everything will go well for the operation tomorrow night. I can’t wait to arrest those Japanese dudes. They’ve been causing way too much trouble to be getting away for the third time.”

“Well, they say third time’s a charm.” BoA winks before prying herself free from his grasp. “We’ll continue this later at home, okay?”

Yunho chuckles as he watches her leave the room. He follows suite a few seconds after.


--


(“Good evening, Masashi-san.
“What brings you here?”
“They know.”
“…what?”
“Be careful.”)


--


Everything is supposed to go well.

There should not have been any mistakes or flaw in his plan. He has calculated every single possibility before proposing such risky idea, and he had been so sure his team would succeed this time round. But when he hears an audible ‘’ coming loudly from his own mouth, he knows that he is screwed this time. The other members in the van held their breaths, poised and ready to jump out and rush into the mission field. They anxiously wait for an order from their leader, their eyes never leaving the monitor which shows a crate filled with newspapers and nothing else.

“You’re a cop.” An unknown voice is heard over the mini speaker connected to the monitor, and the faces of everyone in the van turn aghast. Just as Yunho signals for his teammates to leave the van, a gunshot is heard over the speaker, and everyone freezes in horror. “,” The dark sky flashes on the monitor, a sign which shows that Hyukjae has fallen.

“Go, go!” The guns they are carrying press against their chests as they move around in the shadows, quietly but relentlessly. Everyone in the team is aware that Hyukjae has been shot, and the Triad gang are already retreating away from the location. By the time they emerge from the shadow and towards the open area, the Triad gang has already left on a speeding boat, leaving an injured Hyukjae on the ground. Yunho rushes towards the edge of the harbour, his gun pointed at the sea. He curses upon realising that the boat has already by pass his shooting range. He lowers his gun then and rushes back towards his fallen teammate.

“How is he?” Yunho asks in concern at Siwon and Yonghwa who are kneeling by his side.

“I’m fine, sir.” Hyukjae assures his fellow teammates with a groan before sitting up slowly. “Thank god for the bulletproof vest,”

Everyone breathes in relief, glad that Hyukjae is alright. “What happened, sir? How did they know that I’m a police?”

Yunho sighs. “I don’t know, Hyukjae. We’ve underestimate them, that’s for sure.” Yunho runs a hand over his hair in frustration. “Damn it.”


--

(“You were right.”
“Of course I was.”
“Arigatou.”)

  --

“Are you still upset about what happened yesterday?” BoA asks softly over dinner that night. The lack of appetite is all she needs to know that Yunho is still unhappy about the unsuccessful mission the night before. Yunho places the fork he has been twirling his spaghetti with, back onto the seemingly untouched plate. “I just don’t understand how they could have realised it.”

“Well, maybe they have some sort of instinct?”
“Maybe,”
“There’s always next time, Yunho.” BoA pats his arm gently. “Cheer up,”
“Thanks, I—“

Yunho is interrupted midsentence by the sudden ring from his mobile, in which he promptly answers without hesitation.

“Hello, Mr.Jung Yunho?”
“Ne,”
“This is Mr.Park,”
“Ne,”
“I think we should meet up soon, regarding the thing you’ve asked me to investigate two weeks ago,”

Yunho sits up straighter upon hearing that sentence. “Have you discovered something?”

“Yes, I did. I will see you tomorrow for lunch at our usual spot, is that alright?”

“Ne. Thank you, Mr.Park.”

Yunho places his mobile back at its original spot before throwing a smile at the being sitting beside him. “Looks like the ‘next time’ has already arrived.”

“Hmm?” BoA raises an eyebrow in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“I won’t be able to have lunch with you tomorrow. I need to meet up with someone.”

“Oh, okay.” BoA nods her head in understanding before standing up, her plate in her hands. She retreats into the kitchen to wash the plate, but is interrupted when a pair of strong arms wrap themselves around her petite waist. “You’re not unhappy, are you?” BoA dismisses his question by waving a hand in the air. “It’s alright, I understand, you have work to do.” “Are you sure?” “Yes. Now go finish your dinner.”

Yunho ignores the order and instead buries his face deep into the crook of her neck. He skims a finger over her hair and tugs on one of the long, soft tresses. His action sends a tingling sensation down her spine, just like the many other times he has come into physical contact with her. BoA groans, completely halting her action of washing the plate. “Don’t do that, I can’t concentrate when you do that,” She mumbles, although secretly enjoying the affection.

“I want you,” She feels his hot breath as he whispers gently in her ear. She could feel his lips linger on her skin, tickling it and sending goosebumps all over her body. “The dishes can wait,”

“And you can’t?” She decides to just a tad bit longer. Yunho impatiently groans into her skin, his warm body pressed hard against her back. “I’m afraid not,”

BoA turns around in his grasp and shoots a smile at him. “I love you, Jung, you know that, right?”

“I love you too, Kwon.” Yunho chuckles before closing the gap between them with a kiss.

  --

(“You should stop your activity for a while, Masashi-san.”
“Are you crazy?”
“They’re on to something. It’s for your own safety.”
“We’ll see about that.”)

  --

Yunho is astounded when he sees the first photo among all the others in the brown envelope he is handed to. He finds himself groaning as he casts a look of disappointment at the man sitting at the opposite of him. “Mr.Park, I believe you have misunderstood who I have asked you to investigate on.”

Mr.Park remains calm in his seat. “Are you sure about that?”

“This person,” Yunho takes out the stack of photographs before pointing a finger at the subject. “Is not the person I asked you to follow.”

“I know.”

Confusion strikes Yunho as he frowns. “What? Then why are all these photographs…”

“I was initially follo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter