The Best Birthday Ever

The Lover's Diary

"Good morning, omma!" I said to my mom as I walked down the stairs. If you're wondering where my father is, he's already at work. I guess that's the job of a businessman: leave home early, leave work late.

"Oh, Sunye! Someone's here to see you. They're sitting outside on the deck. He's been here for a while," my omma said as she handed me my breakfast, which was just a muffin, and nudged me towards the door.

I wonder who it could be... No one has ever come to my house this early on a school morning before. It couldn't be Ye Eun either...

As I opened the door...

"Oppa?"

"Hey, bunny!" It was Donghae oppa.

"What... are you doing here? "

"I wanna show you something at the school but we have to get there early. It's okay, I already told Ye Eun that you couldn't walk with her today. C'mon, hop in."

I was really confused as I climbed into Donghae oppa's car. I mean, it's not like having him drive me somewhere is rare, it's just that he's never driven me anywhere on a school morning.

Oppa sped towards the school with his music blasting as always. Oppa was always listening to music wherever he is. He wants to be a photographer but I know secretly, deep inside, he wants to be a singer. Well, that's what I think, ha ha.

We pulled up to the school and as expected, almost no one was here. Oppa did drive here pretty fast, though. And we say we prefer his driving more compared to Leeteuk oppa's.... Ha ha ha.

"C'mon," Oppa grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the door. He sprinted up the stairs; skipping every other step while still holding my hand. You know what the sad part was? He said we had to go to the fifth floor...

"Oppa, slow down!" I practically stumbled and tripped on every step. That really shows how athletic I am....

By the time we reached the fifth floor, I was already out of breath while Donghae oppa didn't even break a sweat.

"Thanks, oppa," I said sarcastically as I placed my hands on my knees and panted. I wasn't thinking about anything until I realized where we were. This was the art department floor and we were standing in front of the photography dark room.

Oppa unlocked the door with his key. All the photography students have one so they're always able to access the dark room. "I have to show you something. Quick, come in."

I stepped into the room and my jaw dropped. Pictures upon pictures were hung all around the room. And what was even more amazing was that Donghae oppa took all of them. I looked around and I saw the pictures that he'd taken when we went fishing.

"Do you like them?" he asked nervously.

"I do!" I said in amazement. "Oppa, these are... omo...."

He laughed embarrassingly. "This one is my favorites," he pointed.

It was a picture of me.

"Stop it, oppa," I playfully hit him.

"No, really. It is. The lighting and backdrop are just perfect. Not to mention the subject," he laughed and jumped like a little kid.

I rolled my eyes. "C'mon, lets get to class. School's gonna start any minute." I dragged him out of the room and smiled without him seeing.

==================================================================

"Hey guys. Where were you?" Ye Eun asked as we approached. Leeteuk looked up from his book immediately and excitedly said 'Good Morning' to us.

"Good morning," we both said, smiling.

"AHH! OPPAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" all of us were startled. We turned around and there was a hoard of girls running towards us.

"Omo omo," Ye Eun grabbed me quickly and pushed Leeteuk towards Donghae; like she was feeding him to the sharks first.

"OPPA! GOOD MORNING!!!"

"DID YOU SLEEP WELL, OPPA?!!!"

"HOW WAS YOUR WEEKEND, OPPA?!!!"

"WE HEARD YOU WENT FISHING RIGHT???!!"

"TAKE ME WITH YOU NEXT TIME!!!"

Both Donghae and Leeteuk oppas were speechless; they wouldn't get a single word in because of all the screaming and screeches from their fangirls. I looked around the field and all the eyes of the students were in this direction. I know I told you guys that being around Donghae and Leeteuk oppas is never embarrassing, but sometimes it is a little bit. No, it's not because of them themselves or anything, it's the girls in this school, as you can see. Their personal fanclub... I've been going to school with these girls since childhood now ever since I moved here. None of them have ever given me trouble before high school for hanging out with my oppas. Now all of a sudden, since freshman year, it's been hell.

"Lets go inside. There's no use in just standing here," Ye Eun said.

"Alright," Don't worry. Every time this happens we always leave the oppas. They know where we are, ha ha.

=================================================================

"These fans are crazy," Leeteuk oppa complained in class. "You'd think by now they would stop liking us."

"I know what you mean..." Donghae oppa sighed.

"I just wanna be normal! Omma, why did you make me like this?" Leeteuk oppa pouted.

"Yah, stop being such a narcissist," Ye Eun snapped.

"Gotta flaunt what you're given~."

Ye Eun rolled her eyes. Me and Donghae oppa just sat there and listened to their bickering. Now don't jump to conclusions. Ye Eun and Leeteuk oppa don't like each other. We're all just best friends. A giant square of friendship, ha ha.

I was standing next to Donghae's desk when someone shoved me out of the way. It was Park Gyuri. Gyuri was the most popular and I guess "prettiest" girl in school. She's best friends with Jung Ah and you could say they both have a following of both guys and girls; guys who want them and girls who want to be like them.

"Oppa, here," she handed him a gift wrapped in pretty pink paper. "I saw this while shopping yesterday and I immediately thought of you. Please take it."

"Oh. Thank you," oppa responded. He took the gift from her and turned it around in his hands. I heard the guys in the class mumble away with jealousy.

"Yah, he's so lucky."

"The Goddess Park Gyuri just got him a gift."

"I want to be Donghae."

I wish she gave me something..."

"Heh heh. I hope you like it, oppa," Gyuri turned away happily but then stopped. "OH!"

"Is something wrong?" oppa asked.

"Well, oppa. If you're not busy tomorrow after school... Do you want to go see a movie with me? I really wanted to see this new one but I don't want to go alone."

"Tomorrow? Sorry, but I'm busy. Maybe some other time," oppa replied feeling bad.

"Oh, but oppa. I really want to go tomorrow. Is what you're doing so important?" Gyuri pleaded.

"It's Sunye's birthday. We're gonna celebrate with her."

"Oh, I see. I'm sorry. I guess it is some other time, then," Gyuri turned to me. "If I don't see you tomorrow... Happy Birthday," she smiled.

"Thank you," I replied back.

Gyuri turned away gloomily and out of the corner of my eyes I think saw her glare at me. But I just shook it off. There's no way she could have.

"Aw, I feel bad," I said to Donghae oppa. "You could have gone with her. I wouldn't have minded."

"Bunny. I wasn't just gonna bail on your birthday. I would never."

"Heh heh. Thanks, oppa."

"Yah, Donghae," Leeteuk oppa leaned over Donghae's back. "Did Park Gyuri just talk to you? You LUCKY boy. What did she want?"

"Nothing. She just gave me this gift," Donghae oppa flashed the box.

"Ooh, what is it?" Donghae carefully unwrapped the gift and unveiled the gift. It was a small figurine of a photographer. Attached to it via string was a note:

"I know you want to be a photographer when you get older and I hope this figurine keeps that dream alive =]

Love Gyuri♡"

"Aw. She's a sweet girl," Ye Eun said.

"Dang, you're so lucky," Leeteuk envied. "And it's not even YOUR birthday."

"What can I say, hyung," they both burst out laughing.

"SHH!" we all looked at the door. It was Teacher Hwang. "It's the same routine everyday, isn't it gentlemen."

"Sorry, teacher," the oppas said.

"Everyone get to your seats now. We have a lesson to start."

"Donghae hyung, the rest of your photos are done developing," I overheard Kyuhyun telling Donghae oppa before he returned to his own classtoom. Cho Kyuhyun was a good friend of Donghae oppa. He's a year younger, but he's also planning on being a photographer; that's how they met.

"Okay, thanks," Donghae responded.

===================================================================

Yesterday went by just as a normal day and before I knew it, it was my birthday! I turn 18 (U.S. age) today and I'm so excited. My omma made me a huge breakfast today, complete with rice, eggs, kimchi, dukboki, fried dumplings and tofu soup.

"Your appa and I got you this gift, Sunye-ah," she handed me a small little box. "Go on, open it."

I opened the box and took out what looked like a kind of bracelet box. And I guessed right. Inside was a silver chain bracelet with a star shaped plate that said: "Min Sunye".

"Thanks, omma!" I hugged her tightly to show my appreciation. "I'm gonna wear it to school today."

Omma helped me put the bracelet on. "Beautiful," she said. I smiled. I already knew this was going to be the best birthday ever.

"Omma, I'm leaving now," I called with my bag over my shoulders.

"Alright. Have a great day," my mom called.

I opened the door and Ye Eun was already there waiting for me. "Happy Birthday!!" she said and gave me a giant bear hug.

"Oof! Ye Eun-ah!" I hugged her back.

"You're 18! Finally!"

"Heh heh." Today is an amazing morning.

"Here, I got you this," Ye Eun took out a gift bag and handed it to me. Inside was a filigree designed journal, or a diary which is what I think Ye Eun wanted it to be, of course, ha ha. "You know, just in case the one you had now is full."

"Thanks, Ye Eun! I'll write in it well," I smiled.

"You're so cute. Why are you so cute?" Ye Eun opened my house door and yelled, "THANKS FOR SUN YE, MRS. MIN!" I could hear my mom say "Mwo?" before Ye Eun closed the door. That's Ye Eun, such a prankster.

================================================================

We met Donghae and Leeteuk oppa where we always met them: under the giant tree in the courtyard. Just like Ye Eun, Leeteuk oppa also gave me a giant bear hug. "Look at what I got you!" he said excitedly. Leeteuk oppa gave me a woman's clothing brand bag. It was the same brand that we saw him shopping for the other day. I took out the contents and found an ivory colored scarf. It was beautifully woven and soft and warm. "It's for the winter. You don't have a scarf, right? It'll keep you warm."

"Thanks, oppa. I'll wear it well."

"I got you something, too," Donghae oppa said. "I'll give it to you later."

"Alright."

Did I already tell you it was the best birthday ever? Ha ha.

=================================================================

I went home after school and killed some time before Donghae and the others came and picked me up for dinner. I got home and found a car that was not ours in the drive way, but it looked awfully familiar. Before I even opened the door, someone opened it already. I skipped a beat and then jumped ecstatically.

"Unnie!"

"Sunye-ah!" We embraced each other and I almost started tearing. This is Yoobin unnie, she's my cousin. She's studying medicine in America so I never get to see her and the only way I can talk to her is through email since talking on the phone costs a lot of money because it's long distance. We talk through webcam only if she has the time to, though. She comes back to visit a few times a year but I always end up missing her like crazy. She's the kind of unnie that you can talk about practically ANYTHING with. "Happy birthday, hun!"

"Thank you.~"

"How's senior life?" she asked me as we headed to the couch.

"It's okay, I guess. I'm really sad yet happy at the same time, though."

"Don't worry about that. I felt the same way, too but once it ends it'll be fine. Trust me, I know."

"I know you know, unnie. You're the best."

"Duh,~" she said jokingly. "Now, what are you doing tonight? You're omma said that your friends are taking you out for dinner?"

"Mmhm. Ye Eun, Leeteuk oppa, and Donghae oppa."

"Really? Are they coming to pick you up? I haven't seen them in so long.. They must be so old by now."

"They're coming to pick me up later. You'll see them then."

"Oh boy!" unnie clapped.

"Oh, unnie... Why are you hear?" that question almost didn't cross my mind.

"I'm on vacation for a few days," she explained. "I have to head back on Saturday." It's Tuesday today.

"Oh, that's a long time. We can go to so many places!"

"Of course we will," she smiled. "Your mom is out right now. You should go and do your homework and wash up. Knowing your friends, they'll probably bring you home late," she laughed.

"Heh heh. Probably. I'll be in my room, unnie."

"Alright."

====================================================================

I finished all my homework and got ready for dinner. Casual would be best on an occasion like this, but not TOO casual, I think. In the end, I just went with a white skirt and a purple plaid drawstring tank top. After I got dressed, Ye Eun texted me and told me that they would be at my house in five minutes.

"Unnie," I said as I went down the stairs. "How do I look?"

"Aw, you're so cute! I love that outfit!" Yoobin unnie squealed.

"Unnie, they said they'll be here in five-" the doorbell rung, "... Ye Eun... That was not five minutes." I opened the door and everyone was standing there.

"Hey- OH! Noona!" Donghae oppa greeted.

"Yoobin noona, it's been so long," Leeteuk oppa said.

"Unnie, how are you?" asked Ye Eun.

"Hey guys. I've been fine. What about you all?" unnie asked. They all replied with them being fine. Best friends think alike. They talked for a bit at the front door until Donghae oppa interrupted.

"We should get going now. I made a reservation for six," Donghae oppa said.

"Well, you wouldn't want to be late now. Have fun, kids," We said good bye to Yoobin unnie and left for the restaurant.

It took us about an hour to get to there and the place was packed. Thank goodness oppa made a reservation for us.

"Right this way," the waiter told us. The table was in in a perfect position for us: in the corner. We could be as obnoxious as we wanted to be and no one would mind... that much. We ordered our desired dishes and talked about random stuff.

"Donghae-ah," Leeteuk started. "What did you get Sunye for her birthday?"

"It's a secret, hyung. I'm giving it later."

"C'mon, tell me what you got her," he kept pestering.

"Maybe later, hyung. Oh, look. Our food is here."

Do you know what's weird? Watching these guys eat makes me realize I need to hang out more around girls, ha ha. Ye Eun and I kept looking at each other every few minutes and laughed.

But halfway through the meal I looked towards the entrance and I spotted Gyuri and Jung Ah there. Our eyes locked. Jung Ah had a look of disgust on her face while Gyuri didn't seem have any expression. I adverted my eyes away quickly and pretended not to have noticed anything. But apparently Donghae oppa has quick eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked me.

"What? Oh, nothing...." I tried to keep my composure and I didn't dare look him in the eyes.

"Why are you lying to me?" he put down his fork and grabbed my face to make me look at him. Both Leeteuk oppa and Ye Eun were looking at us with worried faces now. I took a slight glance over at the entrance and Jung Ah's eyes were wide and Gyuri's eyebrows were scrunched. I quickly pulled away from Donghae's grip and the next thing I knew, the waiter was leading them into our direction. They were given a table close to ours and I could see it clearly. Before actually sitting down, Gyuri came over to us and greeted us.

"Hi. I didn't expect to see you guys here," she waved her little fingers and smiled. "Hey, Donghae oppa."

"Hi," oppa replied.

"Happy birthday, Sunye," she said to me. I could tell she didn't really mean it. "Is this for your birthday? How nice your friends are."

"I know," I tried sounding modest and happy, but I think I was just annoying Gyuri more. We all know she has a crush on Donghae oppa and the fact that him and I are best friends doesn't help with her getting to him at all.

"Well, I just wanted to say 'Hi'. Enjoy your dinner." Gyuri turned away and headed back to her table.

"Obviously she likes you, Donghae," Leeteuk said, "Yahh... so lucky."

"She's okay. Not really my type though," Donghae oppa resumed eating. It didn't seem like he wanted to talk about it.

I tried to change the subject; seeing that this topic was uncomfortable for oppa. "Um, what should we do after dinner?"

"Whatever you want, Birthday Girl," Donghae oppa replied. He's such a sweetie.

"Actually, I can't stay out that late tonight," Ye Eun said. "My parents told me that I have to babysit Sohee since they're not gonna be home. Sorry."

"Same with me," Leeteuk oppa said. "I... kind of got grounded the other day, ha ha."

"Oppa, stop getting into trouble. I keep telling you," I scolded him.

"I'm sorry, Sunye. I'll try. We'll hang out some other time, okay?"

"Alright."

"Same here," Ye Eun reassured me. I smiled.

"Well, I guess it's just you and me," said Donghae oppa.

===================================================================

Donghae oppa drove Leeteuk oppa and Ye Eun home before we headed to my house. After Leeteuk oppa got out, I took shotgun.

"Have you decided yet, bunny?" oppa asked me.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"What you wanted to do afterwards."

"Oh, right. Um, I don't really... know. I mean, if you're busy we could just hang out some other time."

"I'm never too busy for you, bunny. And I still have to give you your gift."

"Oh, yeah. We could just hang out at my house until you have to go then."

Minutes later, oppa pulled up my drive. He went to the trunk and got out a gift bag. "I'm not gonna show it to you yet," he grinned.

We got inside and Yoobin unnie greeted us. "Aw, how cute you two are."

"Unnie...." Yoobin unnie was always doing that to us since we were little. It's only so flattering once you hit a certain age; and I hit that age a LONG time ago.

"Well, you two can take the living room. I'm gonna be in the dining room if you need me." Unnie left and it was just me and Donghae.

"Sit down," I told him.

As he sat, oppa gave me the gift bag. "Open your gift," he told me.

I dug through the wrapping paper and took what looked to be a scrapbook. The cover was decorated with writing and pictures. "Oppa, did you make this?" I asked him.

"Mmhm," he replied. "Look inside."

I did and my mouth fell open. The contents were filled with all those pictures that he took throughout.... I don't know when; pictures of Leeteuk oppa, Ye Eun, himself, and I; pictures of different landscapes... everything. Some of these pictures were taken as far back as freshman year.

"Oppa, this is... I don't even know."

"Do you like it?"

"I love it. Some of these pictures were taken so long ago."

"I've been saving them for this."

My heart almost stopped. "You've been planning this scrapbook since we were freshman?"

He gave me a smile. I started crying. "Omo, Sunye, what's wrong?" Oppa placed his arm around me, trying to comfort the weak me.

"T-thank you...." I was so unbelievably happy. No words can describe this moment and how warm it feels... How warm it feels to know that you're friend... no, BEST friend would go as far as to give you this book of memories that he's been planning since four years ago. I feel burdened that I haven't done something like that for him.... Someone like me doesn't deserve someone like him as a friend...

"Sunye, don't cry. Are these tears of joy?" oppa asked worriedly.

"Yeah..."

This was officially the best birthday ever.

******************************************************************

Loving something is different from liking it... right?

******************************************************************

Sorry for the late update....
But this long chapter makes up for it right?

Please comment =]
When I read your comments I feel inspired to keep writing. The reason for not updating was because I wasn't inspired. I didn't see that many comments. I don't know how many silent readers there are but please comment at least once so I know you're there.

Thanks Dreamerx33 for the amazing comment. Your comment made me want to write again <3

Cindaye, I added Yoobin ^^ Thanks for the suggestion

Again, please comment, silent, new and current readers.

06.19.10