A Day With Unnie

The Lover's Diary

"Dang, I can't believe that Gyuri talked to you... TWICE!" Leeteuk oppa was still hung over the whole Gyuri thing. "If only... just once..."

"Talk to her first, hyung," Donghae suggested. We were eating lunch and Leeteuk kept glancing over at Gyuri's table. I looked over too. She always sat with Jung Ah and their followers. Sometimes her guy fans would buy her lunch. You can really say she does have the perfect life. I'm envious...

I sighed. Donghae oppa saw and asked me what was wrong. "Oh, nothing oppa. Just.. thinking..."

"Always lying to me," oppa shook his head. "I've known you long enough to see through your ways, Sunye."

"Oppa, this time it's true. I swear."

"THIS time?"

"...Never mind," I gave him a 'yeah, I'm lying so please stop asking me questions' smile.

"Oh, bunny..."

"OKAY, OKAY! I'm goin' in," Leeteuk oppa said.

"Good luck, hyung," Donghae oppa said.

"Good luck," both me and Ye Eun told him.

"Yeah, thanks." Leeteuk oppa got up and walked a few steps but then came back. "Donghae-ah, you come, too."

"Wha- why-, hyung!" Leeteuk oppa grabbed Donghae oppa and dragged him over to Gyuri's table. Ye Eun and I laughed at Donghae oppa struggling in Leeteuk oppa's grip. He eventually gave in to his hyung though.

"Sunye, do you like anybody?" Ye Eun suddenly asked me.

"No, why?"

"I don't know. I mean, we've been friends for, like, ever and we never actually talked about guys before. Like, actually TALK about them. You must have had a crush before, right?"

"I'm not sure. I don't really remember."

"You're 18 years old, Sunye. There must be SOMEONE. At least once."

"Well, there was that one guy during sophomore year. What was his name? Oh, yeah. Yoon Doojoon, I think it was."

"Nice catch! He's so cute..."

"He gave me chocolates on White Day."

"Really?!"

"... But Leeteuk oppa kind of chased him away."

"Did he really?"

"Yup. He moved away, didn't he?"

"Yeah, he did." We both burst out laughing. It's true that Ye Eun and I never TALK talked about boys before; they're mostly just mentioned here and there between us. Both of us aren't that boy crazy and the only guys we really hang out with are Donghae and Leeteuk oppas.

We heard laughing coming from Gyuri's table and saw Leeteuk oppa doing some of his... jokes? Acts? I'm not quite sure what to call them actually. Everyone was laughing, even Jung Ah, who can be pretty shallow. Leeteuk oppa gave his bow and Gyuri gave him a thumbs up. Both him and Donghae oppa walked back to our table and Leeteuk oppa was all smiles.

"It went well?" Ye Eun asked. Leeteuk oppa nodded, still smiling.

"You told them your jokes, oppa?" he nodded again.

"Did you guys make plans to hang out?" asked Ye Eun. He stopped smiling.

"Damn! I totally forgot!" he sat down with his face in his hands. "Donghae! Why didn't you remind me!"

"Hyung, I thought you knew what you were doing..." Donghae oppa said innocently.

"Hyung is getting old, Donghae-ah," Leeteuk oppa put his arms around Donghae. "I need you..."

There was an awkward moment of silence; Donehae oppa just stared at Leeteuk oppa, Leeteuk oppa smiled awkwardly. I looked at Ye Eun, her head was cocked to one side. I started giggling and I covered my head in my arms on the table. I heard the others start laughing, too.

===================================================================

"Leeteuk oppa, when are you gonna make your next move?" I asked him as we all walked to get ice cream after school.

"When the time is right," Leeteuk oppa said. "When the moon-"

"Will you?!" Ye Eun hit him. "You're corrupting poor little Sunye's mind." I think we should start calling these two the bickering siblings, how does that sound? Ha ha.

We neared the ice cream shop. It was our favorite joint in town: Snowy Delight. A lot of kids our age go there to eat and we always take takeout since it was always so noisy. When we entered the store, Leeteuk oppa immediately caught sight of someone.

"Gyuri-ah!" Leeteuk oppa ran to her. She was with Jung Ah again and their fans. I'm pretty sure they were all guy fans, too. They were standing in line at the counter. When Leeteuk oppa went up to Gyuri, her fans didn't seem too pleased.

"Leeteuk oppa. I didn't expect to see you and your friends here," Gyuri replied. Her eyes skid on us and then fell on me. She looked away as if nothing happened; now focusing only on Leeteuk.

"Yeah, all four of us come here a lot," oppa told her.

"What a coincidence!" Gyuri clasped her hands together. "So do we!"

"Noona, what do you want to eat?" Taemin, a freshman, asked her.

"Um, I'll have the lowfat caramel fruit pat bing soo with granola and fudge," she said. That was the most expensive thing on the menu.

"Noona, I don't have enough money for that..." Taemin replied. A loud uproar of fans arouse; all yelling that they're willing to buy it for her instead. Leeteuk oppa was one of them.

"But I really want it..." she pouted. "Oh! Oppa! Will you buy it for me?"

"Me?" Donghae oppa looked startled. Gyuri's eyes were on him.

"Please, oppa? I really want it," she pointed to the menu.

"Um, yeah. Sure." Donghae oppa took out his wallet and headed for the counter. Gyuri followed him close behind.

"I could have paid for her... She didn't have to ask Donghae," said Leeteuk oppa.

"It's okay, oppa. There are other chances," I tried to comfort him.

"Nah, it's obvious she likes Donghae more than me." It's weird... Leeteuk oppa seemed to like Gyuri a lot, yet he didn't look a bit sad.

"Are you sure?"

"Don't worry about it, Sunye," he smiled.

"Wah! Thanks, oppa!" Gyuri gave Donghae a hug and ate away at her ice cream. "It's even more delicious because you bought it for me, oppa.~"

"You're welcome. Eat it well," he told her.

"I will! Yum.~" she walked away and sat with her group at the window seats.

"She... seems happy," said Ye Eun.

"She should be. That's some darn expensive she made you buy," Leeteuk complained, arms folded and all.

"Hyung, you're complaining about her? I thought you liked her?"

"Over it," he grinned.

"That was really quick, hyung."

"That stuff happens once you get older, Donghae. Love comes an-"

"Sunye's mind!" Ye Eun yelled. "C'mon, baby Sunye, what do you want?"

"I'm not a baby, Ye Eun..." I said sarcastically. And I knew she was joking.

"I'll treat, guys," Leeteuk oppa offered.

"No, I will hyung," Donghae oppa said.

"You already spent like $15 on Gyuri's ice cream. Let me treat."

"It's no big deal, hyung-"

"No, no. I haven't treated for a while, anyways. Let me do it." Donghae oppa finally gave in and let Leeteuk oppa pay for our ice cream. He paid for all three of us and himself. Like I said, we always took takeout from this shop. It was always crowded and noisy; walking on the streets was much more peaceful, you could say.

As we were walking out, I heard Gyuri yell something. "Donghae oppa! Come eat over here!"

Donghae turned but shook his head. "Sorry, I never stay here and eat."

"Oh, alright then." She seemed to be glaring at me again. And again, I shook it off.

====================================================================

I got home after three hours of walking around town with my friends. I was pleasantly surprised to see appa's car home. Is he home early today?

"Omma? Is appa home?" I called as I entered the door.

"Sunye-ah!" a familiar voice called me.

"Appa!" I ran into his arms. "What are you doing home so early, today?"

"I finished my work load early today," he responded. "I've missed my Sunye."

"I've missed you too, appa." I almost never get to see appa because of his work. Whenever he gets home, I'm already asleep and whenever I wake up he's already at work. It's frustrating but it's okay because I know he's working hard to try and support my omma and I. It's okay...

"Yaahh, my Sunye is so strong." I think appa noticed my eyes tearing up, I think he noticed the quivering in my voice. "You have to be strong for the both of us, promise?" He held out his pinky. I took a big gulp and obliged. We locked out pinkies and out thumbs kissed. No more crying, Sunye. Be strong for appa. I quickly wiped my tears and pretended like I never cried in the first place.

I smiled at him.

"That's my girl."

====================================================================

I took a shower after dinner and I noticed that someone had texted me. It was Yoobin unnie. The text read: "Sunye-ah, if you're not busy tomorrow, we should hang out. I'm leaving soon so we should hang out."

I texted her back saying that I wasn't busy and that we could hang out. Less than a minute later she already replied. Unnie is a very fast texter. "Alright. I'll pick you up when school is over."

I laid down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. 'A day with unnie,' I thought. I laughed. We always had so much fun and she doesn't act like a med school student at all. AH! I can't wait!

====================================================================

"Guys! I know what I want to be!" Leeteuk oppa came running towards us with a packet of papers in his hands. We all looked at him, expecting his answer. "... Guess!"

"Uhh, a lawyer?" Ye Eun asked.

"Nope."

"Actor?" I asked.

"Nuh uh."

"PD?" Donghae oppa asked.

"Man, you guys ." Leeteuk oppa flipped the pages and flashed the page he landed on to us. "A radio host! Isn't that cool?"

"Hyung, what made you come to this all of a sudden?" Donghae oppa asked.

"I'm not really sure. It's just one of those things that you feel really strongly about, but you just don't know why, you know?"

"I do, hyung," Donghae oppa agreed.

"Oh, Ye Eun, before I forget, I can't walk home today. Unnie and I are hanging out today. Will you be okay walking home by yourself?" I asked worriedly.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I meant to tell you during lunch that I have practice after school anyways." I think I totally forgot to tell you guys that Ye Eun was a trainee under JYP. How awesome is that? She's been training since she was a freshman and not once have I seen her tired. She's so strong. You really need to listen to her singing; goosebumps I tell you!

"Is training going well?" Donghae oppa asked.

"It is! And they told me I'm going to debut soon!"

"Omo! Seriously?! AHH!" Both Ye Eun and I started jumping up and down screaming. I could not be more proud of her.

====================================================================

"So, Sunye. Where do you want to go?" unnie asked me.

"Anywhere is fine,"

"You know what? I still haven't gotten you a birthday gift yet. What a terrible cousin I am."

"Don't say that. I know you've been busy. I don't mind."

"No, I WANT to buy you something. The Winter Festival Dance is coming up right? C'mon. We're gonna go buy you a dress."

"Unnie... the dance isn't until December..."

"So?"

Was she crazy? "UNNIE. It's August. And I'm not even sure if I want to go."

Unnie gave an exaggerated gasp. "You didn't..." I looked at her. "Sunye, you HAVE to go. You don't even need a date." She was right. The Winter Festival Dance was one of the few dances that don't require you to have a date; you could just go with a group of friends, whicn is what most people did.

"I'll think about it," I told her.

"Have you gone the past three years?"

"I did, but I mean... There's nothing new. It's just a dance."

"But you are planning on prom, correct?"

"...Sure."

"Not 'sure'. You will. It's the last dance of your high school career. Go."

"I still have time to think about it and stuff."

"Well, you won't have trouble finding a date with those two amazing oppas."

"Leeteuk oppa always chases them away, though."

"I'm not talking about other guys... You can always take one of them."

"I'm pretty sure they won't want to. So many girls at school are gonna ask them, I know it."

"I know that you're number one in their hearts," Yoobin unnie turned and smiled at me. "Trust me."

"Unnie, just focus on driving."

===================================================================

"So hyung, what's the real reason why you want to be a radio host?" Donghae asked me.

"Like I said, I don't know. Just a feeling," I replied.

"Seriously, hyung. This is your life here. If it's just a feeling, then it's a reckless one."

"Well, I guess the real reason is..." I hesitated for a moment. Of course. Donghae can see through me like a window. "Well, radio hosts can talk about whatever they want, right? It's a place where you can talk to people and share stories and stuff. I really want a place like that so I can express my feelings and relate to people, you know? -But don't tell Sunye, okay?"

"Why?"

"I have troubles, too, you know? I always come off as happy and everything and her thinking I have problems will worry her."

"I won't tell, but I honestly don't think she'd really think it like that, hyung."

I couldn't take that chance. "Still, don't tell."

====================================================================

"When you decide to go to prom or not, remember to tell me so we can go dress shopping, okay?" Yoobin unnie and I were walking around Seoul to look for my Winter Festival Dance dress, unfortunately, and also for my birthday present.

"Alright, unnie..." I'm just hoping she forgets by then, ha ha.

"This shop!" Unnie grabbed my arm and dragged me into the store before I even saw the name. I could already tell clothing bought here would cost a fortune just looking at the inside. The walls and flooring and shelves were all white and.... everything sparkled.

"Unnie, this stuff looks really-"

"Expensive? Yeah, but whatever. If that's what it takes to get you to go to the dance, then that's what I'll do."

I was perplexed by her logic. "But that's NOT what it takes. I never said that unnie. When have I ever said that?"

"I don't know, but I like this store." She browsed through the clothing while I just followed. Expensive clothing don't even look that good; everything is just over exaggerated with them. "Sunye, don't worry. I'll find the perfect dress for you. Just sit over there and let unnie handle it." I thought we were supposed to be hanging out, not shopping for a dress...

====================================================================

It took Yoobin unnie half and hour to find the right dresses for me. "Try these on," she told me as she shoved them into my arms and pushed me towards the dressing room.

The first dress I tried on was a silky light blue knee length dress. It was layered but not too puffy. I liked the dress and it was pretty, but I honestly don't think I look good in blue.

The second one was a black velvet one with a ribbon at the side. It was a little longer than knee length; it kind of went down to the middle of my knee. I don't really like black and it wasn't a good color for this type of occasion, in my opinion.

I tried on a white one next. The strap went around my neck and a ribbon on my waist that tied around the back. It was a little bit shorter than knee length. This dress would have been my choice if unnie didn't pick this one for me.

The dress I loved the most was a simple reddish purple one. It had a silky ribbon that tied at the back of my waist. The dress also has small raised dots on it and it was a little less than knee length.

I came out the dressing room and showed Yoobin unnie the dress. "You look so beautiful!" She came running over to me and spun me around at least five times. "Is this the dress you chose?"

"Mmhm," I smiled at her.

"I knew you'd like this one. It's my favorite one, too."

"Thanks, unnie. I'll definitely wear this."

******************************************************************

Only true friends know what you're feeling even when you're lying.

******************************************************************

Did you like this chapter?
I know... "Snowy Delight" is such a cheesy name, but I couldn't think of anything else XD

Are you guys okay with my changing POVs without indications? I think it's much more interesting that way.

The part with the dresses, I was about to not show you what they look like because I didn't want to control your imagination, but I guess my descriptions alone aren't that good so here they are:

Blue Dress:
http://tinyurl.com/33tnbwf

Black Dress:
http://tinyurl.com/3acc7bt

White Dress:
http://tinyurl.com/3yaagko

Purple Dress (the one she chose):
http://tinyurl.com/32d9mq9

Remember, please comment, silent, new, and current readers ^^

06.23.10