9: When thunder strikes

A cup of hot chocolate

Sooyoung's POV

 

It was after dinner when Luhan told me he needs to go somewhere. A person name Chen, appears at the door and claims to be Yixing’s friend. Tao reconfirms the information, as he also suddenly shows behind Chen.

“Okay. Have fun then.”

I go into my room, reaching for my laptop and bring it to the living room to do work while watching tv. That’s when I realized Tao was still standing at the door, looking quite confuse what to do.

“You’re here? I thought you’re going with them.”

“I don’t need to. Kai will be with them. Yixing instructed me to stay with you instead.” Tao replied.

Something must have been going on without me knowing. Tao seems to catch my facial expression as he continues explaining. “My duty was originally look after you, not Luhan. There’s nothing strange about it.”

“The strange thing is not about your job..but the fact you are IN my apartment. Usually you would watch me somewhere near but not inside..” I cross my arms waiting for answers.

He blushes. “You see, I urmm… outside.. urmm.. it’s already raining.. and the way it looks, I think there’ll be huge rain.”

“I don’t get it.”

Tao takes a long sigh before admits, “I’m scared of thunder. And I left my ipod player at the clinic. Do you have anything similar? Anything, as long as my ears are covered with music.”

I laugh. Today I discover another unique side of him aside from his sensitivity care for small animals, this scary looking guy who is capable of protecting others with his martial art skills is afraid of thunder. What an irony.

“Oh... then you have come to the right place.” I proceed to the living room, standing in front of my precious cd/dvd player with stereo speaker system. “Let me introduce you, my savior. I am scared of thunder too.”

Tao comes forward as I press the ON button. Nothing happened.

“Sooyoung, it’s broken.” Tao shows me the cut off cord behind the speaker.

“How in the world did this happened?” I was confused.

“Might be those people who came into your apartment..” Tao deducted.

“Yixing might have missed this broken speaker as damage item.. What should we do?” There was a long silence between us.

“WHAT SHOULD WE DO, TAO?” I got really panicked.

“Don’t you have anything like mp3?” I could see Tao's nervousness on his question.

“At the office.”

“How about your laptop or your phone?”

“The real problem here is I don’t have earphones.”

“The car! We can increase the volume to maximum!”

“Are you kidding me?! It’s a lot scarier in the car!”

We were both walking around in the living room, panicking.

“Where’s the nearest store? Let’s go and buy the earphones!” I suggested as I quickly reach my wallet and ran to the door.

“Good idea.” Tao follows as he speaks.

The rain pours down heavily as we ran towards the nearest store two blocks from my apartment.

How unlucky we are, the store is closed for renovation.

I tried to think for better option. Should I call a cab and go to my office? I don’t think any of us could actually drive when thunder comes.

“At time like this, I usually went to Kris’s house. He always keeps one set of ipod in his house ready for me because I always come to ask for it.” Tao suddenly speaks as he watches Kris’s apartment building right in front of the store.

“Is Kris at home yet? Yixing told me he’s at Mount Halla.” I ask Tao.

“I actually have his house key.” Tao gives me the I-just-remembered smile face while showing me the key.

“WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME SOONER!!!” His slow thinking made me felt like punching his head.

The first thunder strikes and both of us automatically shut our eyes and ears, surprised with the sudden loud sound. When we finally open our eyes, staring at each other, with no words spoken, we ran towards Kris's apartment. Tao and I took the stairs since his apartment is on the third floor. It's a lot quicker that way than taking a lift.

The hallway was facing outside, covered with glass material to provide residents with scenery and security at the same time. But those do not help me from screaming when the second thunder strikes. The thunder is near, the loudest I ever heard in my entire life. It was horrible. I could no longer walk as my legs shiver providing no energy to stand up.

I peek on Tao, his face seems to be sinking in the door. The key was already on the keyhole and yet he did nothing.

The third thunder strikes as soon after the second. I could hear Tao’s mumbling, “I hate this hallway..I hate this hallway..” I couldn’t agree more. This is indeed the worst hallway I ever experienced in my entire life. I covered my face with the floor as I realized how much tears have been flowing since the first thunder.

I can’t die yet. There’s something I need to do before I die.. I took all the energy I have left and grabbed Tao’s arm. After I am sure that he was looking at me, I decided to tell him the secret I’ve been hiding from everyone. “Tao, let me tell you a secret.. in case if I die here and you survive.. I..”

“What the hell are both of you doing here with such dramatic positions?” The deep voice sounds so warm and assuring.

“KRIS!!!” Tao and I were so happy seeing him, we hugged his legs making him almost stumble. He was holding his travel bag and unlocked his door.

The forth thunder strikes, accelerating the movement of Tao and I into Kris’s apartment.

Before Tao could even step into his living room, Kris already plugged Stax SR-009 on Tao’s head. Tao gives a loud relieves breaths, thanking Kris as he smiles.

I begged Kris if he has something similar. Kris said nothing as he stares at me for some reason I don’t think I could actually bother to think at that moment.

I tried to snatch the headphone from Tao, hoping he shows some mercy and gentlemen towards woman. This Tao is not like Joonmyun. He slides quickly his body away from me and told Kris that he’s going to borrow one of his rooms. I ran after him but Tao closes the door in front of me.

The ultimate fifth thunder strikes and I swear to God I might be dying today. I loss all my energy of standing up, but I didn’t fall on the floor.

The smell of Kris’s favorite strong citrus scent perfume, Clive Cristian 1872, overwhelmed.

His arms are already wrapping my body when I realize it. I tried to reject him. This is too awkward for me to handle. My strength is way too low to actually release myself from him. His grips become tighter as he places my head under his chin. My legs aren’t able to stand properly because of the pressure he puts over my head. I’m actually taller than he thinks.

He turns my head, my left ear are pressed onto his body, a little below his right collarbone. He bows his head, low enough for his mouth to reach my right ear. It was Lean on Me by Bill Withers. He sang in whisper, in a very slow tempo. The sound of thunders disappears as my left ear also hearing the same music through the echo inside his body. He knows.

Of course he knows. Kris was there when my mother comforted me at the empty office on my first day of work at the company. There were thunders madly-continuously striking and the sounds were even scarier because the office is at the 45th level. I miss the song, I miss the hug, and I miss her to be precise. It was the exact same way how my mother did when I needed her the most. 

I hugged him as I wipe my tears – not from the thunder, but from the reminiscence of my mother. He carried me to the couch, place me on his lap and he continues to sing.

I close my eyes, trying to burying my emotions deep inside. I know I need to get over the fact that my mother is no longer in this world.

The singing stops and so does the raining. I realized the intimate position I am in with Kris, awkwardly I pull myself from hugging him. “Thanks.”

He stares at me, not saying a word.

I try to move my from his lap, but his arm prevented me from getting up. “You didn’t get married at Mount Halla. You weren’t even at Jeju Island at that time.”

“You actually went all the way there and checked? You could’ve called.”

“I just wanted to see the church that you choose to get married. I wanted to see it with my own eyes. Why did you let Luhan lied to me?”

“It was a mistake. It was only for people who live around us, just to bring us out from mess for living together so suddenly. It was never meant to be told to you.”

“It was too much, don’t you think? Letting him wears your dad’s ring.”

“It was never my intention to keep that ring as my property. I only wanted to keep Mom’s. It was never too much to give that ring away.”

“Sooyoung, no matter how much you hate your father, he is still your parents. Ask Luhan to give you back the ring, and let’s get him out of your apartment. If you are worried that much, I’ll buy another apartment closer to yours for him.”

“Kris, this is none of your business. It is my decision to keep him in my house. Since when you’ve been too concern about me?”

“I always have been. It’s just you who didn’t pay attention.”

The long silence brings the awkwardness higher. I couldn’t coop with the atmosphere as I try to stand up again. When I finally did, he pulls my hand inhibited my intention to walk away.

“I love you, Sooyoung. I always do.”

There’s an unexplainable pain on my chest when he said those words. Either it’s because of how I haven’t heard those words in many years or because of how I felt after he comforted me the same way like my mother did.

Tao's timing was great, I secretly thanking his appearance at the living room. He asks me if I want to go home since the raining already stopped. I pulled Tao, urging that we should leave immediately.

I felt too uncomfortable staying at Kris’s place. I was closing the door behind me when I saw Kris stood up and said, “I mean it.”

*************************************************************************************

“What does he mean by that?” Tao break out the silence on our way to the apartment.

“Huh? Who’s he?” I couldn’t keep my head on focus, even on Tao’s word. The scene when Kris said those three words keeps repeating in my brain.

“Kris.”

“Which Kris?” I couldn’t act rationally with his name being said around me.

“There’s more than one Kris? Sooyoung, what’s wrong with you? Do you have fever? Your face looks really red.”

“Red? Whose face is red? Yours?”

“Sooyoung, are you okay? Do you want me to bring you to the clinic?”

“No. But bring me to Yixing instead. I need to see him urgently.”

We were at Tao’s locker at the parking lot where he kept the helmets, when he suddenly made me surprised. “Wanna know something Sooyoung? I thought you two were in his bedroom. That room is build with sound-proof wall with great sound system. But then, both of you were in the living room. What was I thinking; it must be really awkward if he lets you use his bedroom right?”

Tao laughs. But for me, it sounded horror enough knowing he had such bedroom and yet he use my mother’s method.

“Tao, would you mind to stay outside of Yixing room when I talk to him? It’s something I wish to keep it a secret between me and my bestfriend.”

“Sure.” Tao stopped laughing while handing me the helmet as I ride on his bike.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Yixing’s hair was messy and he had his pyjama on when he opened the door.

“Gosh, Choi Sooyoung! It’s 2 am in the morning! Don’t you have any better time to come and see me?”

“It’s urgent.” I signaled Tao and he nodded that he will be outside. I closed the door and pulled Yixing away from the door, not wanting Tao to hear any of it.

“Did something happen to Luhan? Chen and Kai told me he already arrived at your place safely.” Yixing tried to dig the reason of my appearance.

“No, it’s not about Luhan. It’s about Kris.”

“Kris? He’s back?”

“Yeah, a few hours ago..”

“What’s about him? If you’re only going to tell me he found out you’re not married, I’m going to shoot you.” Knowing Kris will found out about my fake marriage with Luhan is something Yixing and I predicted.

“Yes, he did say that. But then he added something more. He said he likes me.” Yixing is definitely wide awake. His eyes seem to almost falls out, round like the chef I met at Minseok’s clinic.

“He said he likes you? Likes could hold a lot of meaning. For example, I like you too Sooyoung, that’s why you are my best friend.”

“No.. to be precise, he didn’t said he likes me. He said....” Before I could even finishes, Yixing interrupts.

“He said HE LOVES YOU?”

I rubbed my suddenly-out-of-nowhere-itchy neck as I nodded.

“Why would he love you? What happened? Did perhaps my toothbrush mission works?” Yixing have this playful side whenever I tried to be serious. But now, on this matter, I don't find any of his jokes funny at all. 

“I have this slight feelings of irritated upon hearing that, Yixing..” 

“I mean like, why would he? If its Minseok, I would understand because I always felt like his brain is already deteriorated for studying too much at early age and thus, he will never in his right mind to like you.” The more I listen to Yixing, I got pissed off a lot more. 

“Kris, the most wanted bachelor in our company, falls for you? The big eater with skeleton figure, You? Where did all better girls gone?” I slapped Yixing’s shoulder and he was laughing uncontrollably as he trying to restrain me from further harming him.

“What’s up with your inconsistency? One minute you told me to marry Kris and another minute you are laughing your off when I told you he likes me!”

He was still laughing when he replied, “Well, I was expecting you to seduce him. Although I’m not quite sure if he’s gonna fall for your seduction. But at least if it’s come from you, I’ll put 100% sure he’ll get tired of it quickly and thus making it easier for both of you to divorce once you get married. Easy.”

“You should felt thankful there’s no gun around here. I would REALLY love to shoot that annoying law mouth of yours.”

He slows down his laughter, noting on how irritated I look. Finally he understands I am taking the matter very seriously and I have no time joking and laughing around. He leisurely rests his arm around my shoulder, guiding me to sit on a red sofa.

“If he really loves you, then it’ll be a huge problem. I don’t like breaking anyone’s heart even if it’s the forever-acting-all-cool Kris.” 

“I know. That’s why I come to you. I don’t know what to do. Even we haven’t start anything yet for that marriage plan..”

“Do you love him, Sooyoung?”

“Huh?”

“Or at least..do you like him? Girls are fragile. They’re easily falling deeply for someone who confesses. And knowing you during those years when you falling for Minseok, I’m guessing this time you might as well falling for Kris.”

I stared at Yixing.

“Do I look like I’m wrong? Sooyoung, I couldn’t help you anymore with your dreams to leave the company in Kris’s hand. The only option I had is no longer applicable and I don’t want to be a part of something involving broken heart. This is something I want you to think. You are the most awesome and incredibly talented female friend I ever had in my life and I’m sure I could count on your wise decision.”

*********************************************************************************************

I finally reach my apartment around an hour after meeting Yixing.

"You're home." Luhan was waiting for me while reading a cooking magazine.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t have phone with me to call home to tell you where I’ve been.” I apologize knowing how long he might have been waited.

“No, it’s okay. Since Tao is with you, I’m guessing it would be something important. You must be tired. Do you want anything?”

Before I could say anything, he rushes to the kitchen and bring out a cup of hot chocolate.

“Did I get the right answer?”

“Yes.. Thank you so much, Luhan.”

He smiles as he wishes me good night before he headed to his bedroom. I took a sip as I give a long thought on Yixing’s words.