4: Tao is not that cool

A cup of hot chocolate

 

Author's note: I've been busy and completely forgot to update this story. I'm so sorry~ Please forgive me~~ And again, please bare with my poor english. So sorry~

 

 

Luhan's POV

I swear to god that is my brother walking pass the cafeteria.

I jump off the chair, run as fast as I can to reach Sehun, who I’ve been longing to see. The seconds my hand reaches his shoulder, with all might; I turn his body around, to confirm the face. Without any words, he stares at me in shock as I hug him.

“Bastard brother, I thought you are already dead. You should’ve told me earlier you were safe.”

The hug last for awhile when I hear sobbing from him. “I’m sorry, hyung. I saw they were hurting you, I got really scared and I ran away. I’m very sorry hyung.”

I pat his back, release the hug, as I smile at him, telling him how much I miss him and love him in which there’s no need to apologize. “I’m glad I found you. Don’t leave me anymore.”

Sehun keeps sobbing uncontrollably.

A piece of napkin suddenly appears on my view. Sooyoung gives it to me while pointing at the tears that have flows on my cheek without I noticing it.

“Thanks.” I wipe my face while Sooyoung is asking me about my brother.

“Oh, this is your brother? Nice to meet you.” She shows him her hand. He is about to hand-shake her, when that hand flew right onto his face. Sehun fell onto the ground. As well as the people around, I get panic to see Sooyoung’s reaction.

“HEY! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TRYING TO DO?! ARE YOU PERHAPS ONE OF THE GANG?!” A person who is standing beside Sehun all the time shouts at Sooyoung as he is refraining her from going forward to my brother.

“You cutie pie, get out from my sight. That boy needs to be thought a lesson!” That was the first time I see Sooyoung being so mad. 

Minseok hugs her from behind, telling her to calm down. Yixing takes Sehun’s friend hand away from her while comforting him, asking him not to cause anything serious and apologizes to Sehun on behalf of his client. Sehun’s friend was about to protest when my brother pulled him, telling him that he’s fine.

Sooyoung forced herself out from Minseok’s hug, “Yeah, tell him more, how fine you are! How fine you are when you ran away from Luhan! TELL YOUR FRIEND HOW FINE YOU ARE WHEN YOUR BROTHER ALMOST KILLED HIMSELF BECAUSE OF YOU!”

"SOOYOUNG!!" I yelled out her name as I shut with my hand. I wrapped my arm around her shoulder while whispering how grateful I felt upon meeting Sehun and thus no need to make a big fuss about it. Tears were all over her cheek.

I slowly let my hand off when she replied, “What will happened if I wasn’t on the roof when you died? And this person is still alive, living in a fine life, when you thought you already have no one?”

Those words stabbed me. I wasn’t able to say anything.

She gave me a slight punch on the chest as she murmured, “Stupid,” before walk back to the chair where we were seated before.

“That’s something unexpected coming from Sooyoung. Don’t you agree?” Yixing commented and Minseok nodded. “I agree. But what I concern most is that she doesn’t want my precious hug that I UNusually give to any people.”

“Build a bridge and get over it,” Yixing pushed Minseok along with him, going to where Sooyoung is.

I turned my head back to my brother when I realized Sehun was kneeling down flat on the floor. “Hyung..”

“Sehun, it’s okay, everything is good now. Don’t be like this. I will always forgive you. I love you, you know that, right?” I hugged him again, tightly.

I noticed Sehun’s friend stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. “What’s your name?”

“Baekhyun. I’m Sehun’s friend from school.”

“Why are the two of you here? Did any of you have gotten sick?” I realized that we were in Dr Minseok’s building.

“No. We worked here.” Baekhyun answered.

“Guys, come over here and join us. Stop making scenes in the middle of the cafeteria. People are watching!” Minseok yelled from the cafeteria table, telling us to come near him.

That morning ends up with me telling my brother about my current situation and how I met Sooyoung. Sehun and Baekhyun are working part-time job as cleaners in the ward. As soon as I knew about it, I requested to work from Dr Minseok, and luckily he took me as one of the general kitchen worker in the cafeteria. I couldn’t help myself but smiling as knew I could be close with my brother again. We stay there at the cafeteria until Minseok tells me to follow him for another checkup, while orders my brother and Baekhyun to continue on their work.

We stay in the clinic until evening when Sooyoung appears at the ward telling me that Yixing left early for appointment with another client, and he texts her that her house’s door is already fixed. The apartment has been set a better alarm for safety. It seems like Yixing has force the apartment service to upgrade their security system. I must say, he is an awesome lawyer, despite his young age.

She looks at me with a smile, “Let’s go home.”

Those three words strike me. How long have I miss those words? Living with the gang, the only word that stuck in my head is work.

“Luhan, are you okay? Here, let me help you up.” I was too immersed in my thoughts I didn’t realized she was staring at me worriedly. She took my arm as she guides me to her car.

We walk in silent until Minseok came with a travel bag. “This is my old clothes that I’m no longer use. I hope it fits.” 

Sooyoung grabs the bag from him, while giving him a salute before she hands the bag to me. “Thanks Doc! Luhan, it’s going to take some time before we buy new set of clothes and in the mean time, I hope you’re fine with these.. I don’t want you to continue wearing my shirts. I love shirts too.”

“Yes, sure. That’ll be great. I’ll start working tomorrow, and by the end of the month, I’ll pay you everything I owe.” I assure her as I carry the bag into her car, and comfort myself on the passenger seat next to her. It took me awhile to discover she was staring at me with the same worried look.

“You know.. I’m not hoping for you to return me anything. Don’t worry about it.”

“I can’t. You’ve been very good to me. I must do something to pay you back.”

She gives me a loud sigh, her eyes wandering around, perhaps thinking about my request. She starts the engine, reverse the car out from the parking space while waving good bye to Minseok. “Cook and take care of my apartment. That’ll be enough for me.” She smiles, turns the gear into D and steps on the accelerator.

“So, I’m like your personal maid?”

“You want to be a maid? I’ve been thinking of a butler.”

“Do butlers cook?”

“I don’t know. But the one that I read in manga does.”

“Really? I thought their job is to get everything right, like a manager to the maids, the highest ranking.”

“Huh, okay. So you’re not a butler then. Could it possibly be a chef? Chef of the house?”

“Do chefs take care of the house? I thought their responsibility is just in the kitchen.”

“So, what are you?”

“I’m Luhan.”

“And I’m Sooyoung.”

Our conversation has turned into something ridiculous, making us giggle along the road.

When we finally reach the apartment door, I heard she mumbles, “Home sweet home.” It isn’t something odd for those words to come out from , but my heart is feeling the same. This apartment, although I only stayed there for a day, I felt like home already. “I guess I’m just a freeloader who intends to pay you back.”

“Oh? So we’re back to that topic again?!” Her voice is half shock and half laughing hearing at my sudden nonsense thoughts on the previous conversation.

“I’m just kidding, I just..”

“Well, me too…actually I’ve been thinking about that too.”

“HUH?! So, it wasn’t just me..”

“Have you heard about stay-at-home husband? I think you fit that role perfectly. As far as I know, they watch the house, cook for the family, everything involving the house when their wife is out to work.”

“I’ll be working; I’m not staying here all day.”

“I know. So, I give you another name, doesn’t-stay-that-much-at-home husband-DSTMAHH.”

“Desseettmaaahh? But doesn’t that name somehow represent a normal husband?”

“Ah, you’re right. Then, you’re a normal husband.”

“Huh, interesting. But we’re not married.”

“I know, but it’s easier to say that to the neighbors if they saw you coming in and out the house. They won’t make a lot of fuss about it.”

“Okay, so how are we supposed to get married? Why didn’t you invite them to our wedding?”

“Since we met at the rooftop, let just say we meet on the top of a mountain? Mount Everest is a bit exaggerate.. let’s use Mount Halla.”

“So we met in Jeju Island?”

“Yup. Exactly. Remember the Bruno Mars song Marry You? We can use that. So, we met at the mountain, and then we met again at a club, got ourselves drunk..”

“Shots of patron tequila?”

“Yes! Then, we end up doing stupid things like marrying each other. But of course, we choose not to divorce yet because it was fun.”

“Interesting. Interesting indeed.. Sooyoung, can I just be the maid?”

“Well, if you could persuade them to believe that.. Based on your face, I think they would probably believe you’re more like a host.”

“I don’t want to be host.”

“I thought so. I don’t want to be a person who hires a host to stay at my house either.”

“Yes, you are my husband, only when the neighbors ask. Don’t say any of that to others especially in front of Yixing, Minseok, Tao, or anyone who knows both of us personally.”

“Roger!” We shake hand in agreement before heading our ways to the bedroom. As I was about to open the door, I realized that it would be better to have a proper written agreement about it. “Sooyoung, shouldn’t we have some kind of a written agreement or something?”

“Nahhh..we don’t need that” She shouts as she enters her room.

“But isn’t it dangerous not to do it?”

Her head pops out from the room’s door, telling that it will be fine, “You trusted me with your life, so I believe in you with my house. Does that sound good enough?”

I smile as I reply, “Yes, good indeed.” I can never win this girl.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I’m finally ready for my first day of work when Sooyoung appears in the living room while fixing a brown suit that she’s wearing.

“You’re working too today?”

“Of course. By the way, wear this when the neighbors are around.” She hands me a white gold ring. I stare at her puzzled with a sudden ring given to me.

“It’s my dad’s. I’m wearing my mom’s ring. That’s make us more like a married couple.”

“Your dad’s?! Then this ring must be very precious!”

“Yes, I supposed.”

“What if I lost it? I’ll be working today, and before I cook, it’s normal to take out anything on my finger.”

“You’re right. Wait.” She rushes to the store room and take out a Christmas decorated box. I walk slowly towards her, trying to get a look at the objects inside the box. Before I could actually take a glimpse, she shows me a silver string. It is a necklace to be precise, but without anything attaches to it.

“You can use these.” She inserts her dad’s ring into the string and walks pass me to get to my back. She places the necklace with the ring on my neck as I look down at the ring on my collar bone.

“Together forever,” I read the craved words on the inside of the simple ring band. I hear slight chuckles come from Sooyoung after she has done locking the necklace.

She ties up her hand into a bun before heading to the kitchen. “Oh? Breakfast is ready! Why didn’t you called me earlier for this? I’m hungry.”

“I thought you were sleeping and yesterday was a very busy day. So I thought it was better not to wake you up. I didn’t know you are fully awake.”

She laughs as she grabs a knife to slice the butter croissant that I made earlier. I heat up the mushroom soup and take out the lunch box for her, to let she knows that her lunch is also ready. A cheerful smile emerges from her face and thanking me numerous times for the effort.

She stands up; making two cups of her specialty-hot chocolate while I pour the soup on two bowls. We eat in silent to faster my eating pace as I realized, I might need to run to work. She didn’t say a word, so I’m guessing she’s in a hurry too.

I notice her mother’s diamond ring on her finger. I swallow the last piece of croissant and left the plate in the sink, I take the chance to ask her about the ring. “Your dad’s ring and your mom must be a set. Does your mom’s ring have anything engraved on it?”

“Yes, it’s ‘Forever Together.’ They switch the places of together and forever. It’s childish. Why?”

“Nothing, it’s just something I’ve been thinking while looking at it. Alright, I’ll be late if I didn’t go now. I leave first. I’ll be home tonight!”

She gives herself one shot of the chocolate drink and quickly places everything on the table into the sink. “Luhan! I’ll send you! Don’t worry. Just wait for sec, I’ll go and get my bag.”

“I can go to work by myself..” I tried to encourage her.

“I know you can. But that will only be allowed if there isn’t anyone waiting to get you.”

She’s right. I totally forgot about the gang. Never once in my life, I forgot about them. I might have been feeling so comfort to be able to forget. What have gotten into me?

“Luhan, are you all right?” She gives me a worried look before both of us heading to her car. “I will be sending you to your work place starting today. If I couldn’t do it in any days, Tao will send you.”

“Tao?” As much as I surprised she mention about the guy’s name, I saw him at the parking area, already on his bike waiting for us to move.

“Sooyoung, where do you work actually?” I ask her, just to confirm the location of her workplace.

“Near Insadong. Why?”

“That’s like the opposite direction from here to Dr. Minseok’s. I’ll go with Tao.”

She stares at me blankly as I walk towards Tao to ask him a favor. “She told me if she’s not around, you will be sending me to work.” I smile at him. His cold gaze hasn’t change since the last time I met him. I continue, “But my workplace is not even in the same direction as to her workplace, so I don’t want to burden her. May I ask if I could..”

Before I could even finish up with my sentence, he tosses me an extra helmet for me to wear. “Sure, let’s go. I don’t like the idea of her sending you to your workplace either.”

I hop on the back seat of his motorbike and he speed up pass Sooyoung who were still staring at us. I look at her as she goes inside her car, preparing to drive. I wave at her, telling her I’m off to work. I did get a little worried if I hurt her feelings by going with Tao when she offers me a ride in her car, but thankfully, I saw her smile and a wave back at me before I lost the sight of her.

Tao drops me off in front of the clinic, while his eyes still wandering at the street. “If anything went weird in there, call me. I will be around here. Did Sooyoung give you my number?”

“No, she didn’t. I don’t even have a cellphone..”

Finally, his eyes stop wandering, looking at me shockingly. “You don’t?! Then, you leave me no choice.” He softly pushes my back, guiding me into the clinic.

“May I speak with Dr. Minseok? Tell him Tao, The Warrior, is looking for him.”

I chuckles upon hearing his conversation with the receptionist. The looks in their face are really serious. I tried to be serious as well, but the whole nickname, “Tao the warrior” couldn’t help me from tickling my laugh sensor. Somehow somewhere it reminds me of Power Rangers or something.. I could sense how annoyed his face is, as he pulls me closer and asks me to stop thinking about the name.

“Minseok pushes me to say so, or else he wouldn’t bother to see me at instance. I told him how much I hate the name, and yet, he forces me to. Don’t laugh or you might gonna get a new nickname. That doctor is crazy!”

That was my first time I heard Tao speaks so much. When Minseok come out Tao asks him to give anything to do, a job to be precise, that can be done near me. He offers him a job in a kitchen along with me because yesterday, when I was preparing for breakfast at the cafeteria, the main ‘Morning shift’ chef got hurt when Minseok complemented my cooking over his dishes. And that person quits, leaving an empty position in the kitchen. I was given that chef’s position while Tao will be taking my yesterday’s position offered by Minseok.

We quickly started our job at the kitchen that day without any problem except for Tao. I learn how here and there he quite resembles Sooyoung, in terms of eating of course. I can see how hard Tao tries to refrain himself from not eating any of the dishes that I made. And I pretended that I didn’t see his quick hands, taking the one fruit at a time into his mouth every time he went pass the fruit table section. He was fired right away from the position when the ‘Evening shift’ chef came in and saw what he’s doing.

“You’re the new chef? Nice to meet you, I’m Kyungsoo.” He shakes my hand, look at Tao and grab his collar, and goes outside the cafeteria looking for someone.

Kyungsoo might not know that Tao is really good in fighting and that might be the reason he has the nerve to drag him like that. I follow them; worry if bad things will happen between them. But it turns out that, Kyungsoo was looking for my brother and his friend, asking if any of them wanted to change position with Tao.

Baekhyun is grinning, thanking Kyungsoo for a great offer. He pushes Sehun towards me and takes Tao’s collar from Kyungsoo’s hand.

“I’ll be looking at him from now on,” Baekhyun smiles while his hand was still on Tao’s collar. He even pushes Tao to bow, forcing him to say ‘thank you’ from Kyungsoo for not to fired him completely and leave him jobless.

I saw the evil face Tao shows to Baekhyun, wanting him to stop treating him like that. Seriously, Baekhyun didn’t even show him any single slight of frightened in his face. He gives him another smile, handed him a vacuum cleaner and instructed him to work on the receptionist area.

The day went really well. Sehun and I stay at the kitchen although the morning shift is over to learn how the kitchen really works during the evening shift. Kyungsoo is indeed a great chef, his cooking skill is amazing and it wowed both of us. I offer to make desserts that compliments with his food. His eyes are extra round when he praises me about it. That’s when I learn Minseok gives him a nickname, “Kyungsoo, the donut eye” but later he changes it to "Kyungsoo the mother" when he tasted his food.

Baekhyun and my brother are lucky for not being that close to Minseok for him to giving them such nicknames. Then, it struck me that just like what Tao told me in the morning about me might be getting one. And he was right, Minseok come to me during the afternoon and told me about the nickname he gives to people around him for access password to meet him in urgent. He gives me one too, “Luhan, the boy who lived.” When other people are telling why do I get the same name just like Harry Potter’s, I realize Minseok is secretly motivates me to keep on living. He’s a great doctor.