8: Kyungsoo and Kai are not in a good term.

A cup of hot chocolate

Luhan's POV

 

“Is he in Mount Halla?”

“Who?”

“Kris.”

“Oh..” Sooyoung took another sip of hot chocolate before explaining some more. “I guess so. He went with Joonmyun, his co-worker. Not sure why he must go there. Even if we did marry there, I don’t find it necessary.”

“May I ask you something?” I realized she has lost her appetite as she starts to play with the scrambled eggs on the plate.

“Sure.” Her voice was slow and monotone. She shows me she’s not in the mood.

I decided to abandon questions and let her mood went away before asking her later. She turned her head, following my figure walking away from the kitchen. She has puzzled look as I wave good bye before heading straight to my workplace.

I carefully took a peek outside the apartment building, worrying if the gang are somewhere near me while waiting for Tao to fetch me up.

At the corner of the street I saw a long red headed curly hair girl leaning on the wall. She wears printed flower jacket, white t-shirts and skinny jeans. I’ve seen that girl before, countless time. It might be not her, but there’s definitely some group of people with the same facial bone structure. I remember there’s a short octopus blonde patient girl at the clinic named ChanXiao. And there’s also this one guy named ChinWei, Baekhyun’s neighbor, which he showed me the picture of Sehun enjoying the house party they hosted a couple of days ago. I remembered meeting Young Chong, who Sooyoung claims to be the best food delivery boy in town. I know Korean tends to have similar features but those four people look creepily the same. Are they perhaps a family?

When Tao finally arrives in front of me, I jumped at the back of his bike and asked for his kindness to get me closer to the red hair girl.

“Are you new around here?” Tao seems to stun with my question towards a stranger.

“No.. I.. I.. I live in the same building as you! I’m waiting for my boyfriend! Keke..” She tilted her head, smiling.

“Since we’re neighbors, may I know your name?”

“Name?.. Oh yeah.. name.. Er.. Chun Li! Nice to meet you! Ah! Actually my boyfriend is already near here, he’s not use with streets around here… I better go! Bye bye~” She talks very quickly as she ran away as if we are frightening her.

“Why must she run like that? It’s not that we were flirting with her or something..” Tao commented quietly.

“I guess your looks must be scary enough for her. Hehe..”

“Urghh.. shut up..” Tao got annoyed and continue to speed up his bike, heading to the clinic.

It bothers me a lot. Her name is ChunLi. There’s Chinwei, Chong and ChanXiao. Why their name must have Ch-n? No matter idiot it sounds, but if there is another person with the same face again, his name must be Chen. I laughed secretly at my stupid joke.

 

Kyungsoo is standing in front of the clinic when I arrived.

“Luhan!” He called me, running.

“You’re early. What’s up?”

“Would you mind if you come with me to the factory?” Kyungsoo seems desperate. He told me that he has already got permission from Minseok to let me follow him.

I turned my head to Tao, waiting for his reaction. Since Tao’s working at the clinic because to protect me, going with Kyungsoo might troubles him later. He nods as he points to another guy waiting for us in front of a black Mercedes car. “If he’s with you that should be fine.” Tao signals to Kai and he replied. 

We are on our way to the factory when Kai’s past seems to reveal by itself with Kyungsoo badmouthing him in the car. Kai drives the car, smiling as we listening to unexpected long complain from the best chef I’ve met.

“So you changed your name to Kai, huh? Luhan, do you know his real name is actually Jongin? Why would he change his name? To sound cooooooler?” The Kyungsoo I know is a person who smiles and serious with his work.

Seeing him like this made me wonder what have happened between these two. “Are you two perhaps good friends?”

“WAS” Kai finally speaks, smirking at us through rear-view mirror.

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, annoyed at Yixing’s bodyguard. “He wasn’t a good policeman, but at least he’s a loyal friend back then.”

“Kai was a policeman?! Are you still a police?” Shock with Kyungsoo’s revelation, I asks him myself.

“No, I quit. Bodyguard suits me better.” Kyungsoo sighs as he turns his eyes to the window.

As much as I want to ask him what really happened between the two of them, I find it inappropriate. Kyungsoo looks so pissed off. His mouth finally shut and the atmosphere in the car becomes awkward and silent until we reached the factory.

Kai guides us through the front building and introduces us to the company’s manager; name Chanyeol – a tall and funny guy. He makes funny jokes and laughs at it anyway although Kyungsoo and I don’t understand it at all.

Chanyeol leaves us at a lab while he takes his time searching for a file of something.

Kyungsoo tells me everything about Sooyoung’s request and his previous job as a dietitian officer at Ministry of Food Processing. He finds himself entertained working as a chef and thus resigned the previous job. Minseok took him as a chef, making him more than qualify to be in his clinic to ensure healthiness of his patients through food. I admire people with passion, and I believe Kyungsoo is one of these few people.

“Here. All nutritious information on every product is listed in this file. Take your time. This will take some time. Just letting you know, you can’t take this out from this room.” Chanyeol appears with two thick white files. He gently put them on the table and pulls two movable chairs near us. I thank Chanyeol while letting my body rest on the comfortable chair.

I watches Kyungsoo take out a piece of paper, starts scanning every pages of the file and jots down numbers. When he’s done, he rereads information from the pages he wrote.

Chanyeol who left us for a while, came in with a polystyrene box full of beverage cans. “Please, help yourselves. There are more drinks and food at pantry room, located three rooms on your left.”

Chanyeol again excuses himself for another appointment and promises us to come again for another hour. I observe the beverages, tastes the ones with interesting flavors like durians and rambutans. I immediately regretted my decision. Rambutan flavor is okay but I really cannot tolerate with durian. What in the world would drink this kind of flavor? I wonder.

My reverie was interrupted with the sound of Kyungsoo stands up from his chair, made his way to the nearest computer and starts typing something.

“Luhan, would you mind if you go the pastry room, take ten random food or drinks and bring them here? I want you to taste them and comment on them.” He smiles as I nod at his request.

Every food and drinks were divided into half. I would taste the first half and told him the ingredients and also the taste. Sometimes Kyungsoo would ask me what to add into the drinks/food to add the flavor. After giving him my opinions, he doesn’t say anything while tasting them. He nods all the time as I explain.

Later, Chanyeol came into the room with Yixing. Kyungsoo was already in front of the computer when Yixing asks Kyungsoo to ‘borrow’ me for at least an hour.

I totally felt like a ball, being passed around for the whole day. I don’t protest as I thought it might be something important that Yixing want to ask me.

Chanyeol was left in the lab with Kyungsoo while Yixing guides me around the hallway and enters a different room-an office to be precise. He politely shows me a couch to sit, while offering a cup of company’s hot mocha.

Before I could actually took a sip, I jumped in surprised when the door was flew open, revealing an unexpected guest-another person with the same facial structure like the girl named ChunLi I met this morning. Kai was trailing behind as he made his way to the couch. He gives me a quick smile and shows me his hand, “We meet again.”

Even though I have no idea who the heck is the person, I just shake his hand. “Have we?”

“I’m Chen. We m-.”

“Aaaaahhhhh~!!!! I knew it if I found someone with the same face, the name will be Chen!!” I was unaware I said it out loud.

“Right.. So you knew?” Chen’s face turns curious.

“Knew what?” I replied his question with a question. Both of us are dumbfounded, making us turns our head towards Yixing, hoping for help in understanding or at least let us know the situation we are both in.

“Luhan, I hired Chen to check on you and Sehun. That’s why I asked you here. I thought you are at the clinic. Kai told me you are here, today.”

“Huh? So all this while, ChunLi, Chanxiao, ChinWei and Chong are him?”

Chen seems to be taken aback, “You knew ChinWei and Chong too? How come?”

“Sooyoung and Baekhyun.” He nods immediately at my reply. “But seriously Chen, out of so many names, you should’ve pick other than the trademark Ch-n..” I give him remark.

Yixing glares at Chen. I guess my statement made it seems like Chen doesn’t do his job properly.

“But, I got fooled! Never crosses my mind that all those four people are actually you!”

“That won’t help, Luhan. Anyways, let's get back to the real topic. Please, all of you have a seat.” Yixing took the lead, creating silent atmosphere before his mouth start speaking again.

“I need to apologize for hiring Chen to check on your background. However, your privacy is safe between the four of us. Although Chen is doing a bad job on disguising himself, but at least the information he gave is something both of us might want to appreciate.” He hands me a brownish envelope, neatly sealed with white thread.

“I still believe I’m good at disguise. I’m just not good with communicating with people. Its Luhan’s fault, he loves to ask people’s name. Those are the only names I could think of at a short amount of time.” 

I am still untying the thread when I respond to Chen. “I can’t help it. There are three people with the same face. And your face is memorable, a very unique structure. Not a typical Korean here, but more like a typical Chinese back in my hometown. Of course I’ll ask your name.”

“Well, sorry to disappoint you, I am a true Korean. My real name is Jongdae.”

“Jongdae? Kai, your name is Jongdae too right?”

I asks Kai who was silent at the corner of the room and he replies with a No. “Jongin.”

“Aishhh.. what’s up with you guys having so many names? Yixing, you also have another name is it? Lay if I’m not mistaken..”

I think I heard the lawyer smiles with a yes answer but my attention was no longer on the conversation. My eyes widen, the pictures in the envelope shows Sehun having conversation with a group of men. And I remember three of them. Those men were the same person who came crashing into Sooyoung’s apartment. “What’s the meaning of these?” 

“I believe Sehun is actually the part of the gang. The same gang you involved before. There is a huge possibility that Sehun is their spy.” Chen suddenly went all serious and Yixing continues with explanation. “Tao told me about a conversation he had with Baekhyun. Sehun has been living with him for a long time, but there was not even once the gangs come to attack them. They were safely living without any worries. And thus, brings us to the biggest question why this group, the group that implanted a device in your body, managed to find you in a single night, but couldn’t find a harmless boy living with his friend for over a year?”

“Why would Sehun become their spy? If I’m the target, for what reason?”

Chen looks at me sharply. “There’s a hardcopy on their conversation details I got at a café near his house. It’s on the thirteenth page. At first, the gangs were going for you. To destroy you for leaving the bar. Sehun, I believe in the other hand convinced them to give you more time. But later when they realized the house they barged in that morning was Sooyoung’s, they changed their target. It should be Sooyoung’s wealth.”

“Her wealth? But it’s been a while now. Since Tao has been following me to work, Sooyoung has been on her own. If they really aiming for her, why is there nothing going on until now?”

“Good question.” Yixing commented. “I believe that’s their plan. Using you as their bait, they will let Tao be with you while waiting patiently for the perfect time to start their mission. I still haven’t figure out their plans yet, but my best guess it must be something to do with Sehun since he has been meeting them quite often lately.”

“It can’t be.” I mumbled. There was a long silence when I quickly remembered Kris. “How about Kris? Don’t you want to check on him too?”

Yixing, Chen and Kai exchange their looks. “Why suddenly brought up Kris?”

“It was long time ago. I heard from the one of the gang that they know Kris. Check on him too!”

“I did. And like you said, he does have connection with Kris. But that was long time ago. Yixing has managed to get him away from the gang. Those are in the past.” Chen starts to reveal little truth, something that I never knew.

For Kris, Yixing, Chen and Kai knowing about the gang before meeting me, then the company that Sooyoung has been working on might have some connection with them after all. It gets too complicated.

“Am I allowed to know the story? The past story of Kris and the gang?”

Before Yixing could said anything, Kai spoke first on his behalf, “No. This matter is enclosed to those who involve certain situation. We don’t reveal everything for the sake of curiosity, especially to those who we consider as an outsider. We have told you more than enough. And the reason why is because Sehun is involved.”

Yixing nods again, “My work as a lawyer is to protect Mashi Corporation. It was never my attention to look after people other than those who involves in the company business and reputation. But you. There’s a huge reason why I called you here and tell you all these.”

I stay silent while he continues. “I want you to get information for us, especially from Sehun. Chen will contact you for help. I want you to cooperate with him. This is for the sake of Sooyoung. I am putting 100% trust on you for this matter.”

“Sooyoung once told me that she trusts me. Why would I betray her?”

“Good, then for tomorrow, try persuade Sooyoung to let Tao follows her instead of you. Let that be a week and see the gang's reaction. Would you dare taking the risk?” I have nothing to against Yixing’s word.

If it’s because of me that the gang really did go to Sooyoung, I swear to protect her with all my might. “No problem.”

Minutes after the conversation is over, a slight knock is heard from the office door. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol enter, telling us that their work for food project with Ministry of Health is done. Kyungsoo is there to ‘pick’ me up so that both of us could go back to the clinic together. He was complimenting me on my talent, identifying the ingredients and suggesting improvement by just tasting food. I kept the envelope away from Kyungsoo’s view, laughing at his jokes throughout our ride, while deep in my heart I am worried like mad about the safety of people around me.

What really did happen to Sehun? Why didn’t he tell me, he is with the gang? For years I thought I am the one who protect him, it was him who protects me. Please don’t let this misery goes to Sooyoung. Don’t let it happen. Please.

 

 

 

Author's note:

hehe.. another update~!!! Thank you for reading and commenting. You know, your opinions really did help me to write this fic. 

I'm done constructing the whole fic and hoping that i will keep on updating without leaving this fic untouch for a long time. 

Thank you so much~!!!

ps: sorry again n again about my english. I know, I'm really bad at it~