Chapter 4

Together

  The cafe's front door's bell chimed. A rush of hot summer air entered the cafe and so did a lady who was wearing a thin cotton blouse, knee-length tight waisted skirt along with black flat Crocs. This lady somehow made Ji Hoo lose his breath and the ability to breathe and function for a minute there. Her hair was brown and soft, her eyes were a mixture of charcoal black with deep thoughts. To his expectations, she proceeded to him and sat opposite him. After ordering a sugar-free latte, she glanced at him and cleared slightly. This seemed to rumble his whole mind as he snapped back into reality. He found it hard to believe that this lady right here was the one he met at the carnival the other day. He asked, abruptly, "Do you have a twin?" and realized what he just said. She looked at him with full of questioning stares and finally answered "No." His heart slowed a beat. After the awkward silence, she said: "Alright, back to the main point. You're here to ask me about Yongguk's situation aren't you? And I'm pretty sure you have theories of your own." He nodded, because that seemed to be the only thing his head could respond to right now without looking stupid. "You have 3 chances," she said, eying him. "Shoot."


  "Yongguk's parents are divorced not long ago." That statement made her eyes widen. Taking that as a bullseye, he continued swiftly. "He's realy upset about it and can't seem to get it out of his head, so he's staying with you right now. But the point is.." he leaned towards her. "Why areyou even mixed up in this?"


  Clearing , she leaned back, crossed her arms and replied: "And I must ask, does this have anything to do with you?"


  And that hit him. Why did he care? He tried searcing his head for more practical reasons besides 'caring' and have went through the same thing', but nothing else came to mind. Plus, he kind of liked her diverse personality she had and was curious about her occupation. In the end, he decided to be honest to his feelings and to her.


  "Just because I care." he replied in full confidence.


  If she's taken aback, she isn't showing any sign of it. After thanking the waiter for their drinks, Ji Hoo then comtemplated on his answer. Was it too cheesy? he thought, and when he wanted to deny his answer and laugh about it, Ji Mi suddenly spoke. Her face was observing the pouring rain outside the cafe and her arms were relaxing on her lap. Her eyes seemed to have lost some spark and her expression was sad.


  "Indeed, Yongguk's parents have divorced. Being his favourite cousin ever since he was born, I decided to take him in since I already have a stable job as a lawyer. (Ji Hoo's eyes widen a little.) This case involves his mother cheating on his father; whereas for his father is because of abusive behaviour. I did not notice that Yongguk has been abused since young and I felt bad. I made the decision to volunteer to be the attorney of their case so that I could keep tabs on them and tell Yongguk because no matter how much they disliked him, he still love them; like how a dog will forever be loyal to it's owner. He always says that he hates them but in his heart, he's actually crying out for their love. I've tried to reason with them but it doesn't work."


  Now they were both facing each other as the rain poured down heavier and heavier. Ji Hoo wasn't really sure about telling her about his loss but he proceeded to anyway. "I guess my case is somewhat like Yongguk's, just without the divorce and abuse. My parents died when I was very young and since then I had only loneliness and riches to keep me company. Not until some events that reunited me and my grandfather together, I'm pretty sure I'll be a man with a wasted youth," and added a small smile. Ji Mi nodded. He expected her to add her own story, but she didn't.
  "My sincere condolences to your parents," she smiled and reached out to shake his hand. "We haven't really been properly introduced yet. Yeo Ji Mi," she said as he accepted her request and shook her hand too. "Yoon Ji Ho."


  Ji Mi finished her drink in 4 gulps and said, "If you don't mind, I'm pretty busy with the case tomorrow, is it possible to drop Yongguk at your clinic? Around 10:00a.m.? I'd rather him be with you than being alone at my apartment." Ji Hoo thought it was a great idea.


  "It's possible. So you're here because you're planning to use me tomorrow?" he joked. She chuckled a little and replied, "Maybe." With that, she left the cafe. The rain outside had stopped, just like his breath.