Chapter 1

Together

 

  It was on a summer's eve when he met her.
 
  Ji Hoo was resting on the bench at a carnival in Seoul, Korea. Slowly munching on a pink cotton candy, his thoughts wandered to the clinic. He dreamed of expanding the clinic ever since Grandfather passed away.
 
  That thought saddened him even more. Closing his eyes, he tries to put himself at ease along with the blasting music. It was hard thinking about Grandfather, he was the only family member he had left and time has taken its toll. Old age killed Grandfather but surely not his dream. This made Ji Hoo feel a little better, thinking that Grandfather will always be with him, in his thoughts.
 
  Feeling bored, he opened his eyes and focused on a merry-go-round in front of him instead. Smiling, he remembered that Jan Di loved these games. I'll bring her someday, when Jun Pyo is busy with work in Macau, he said to himself. Crossing his legs, he savoured the cotton candy and continued to eye that merry-go-round. Just then, a girl around his age approached the merry-go-round. Even though it was a ride meant for kids, her awed expression showed no shame. Beside her was a young boy that looked around 9 years old, and he seemed to be begging her to let him go on a ride.
 
  This scene reminded him of Jan Di even more, and he began to miss her badly. He had the sudden urge to join that girl on the ride. Fiddling his coat pocket for extra tokens, he walked over to the gamekeeper and threw the remnants of the cotton candy into a nearby dustbin. Seated a few horses behind the girl, he became aware of his surroundings. Gripping the pole even tighter, he realized it was his first experience with a merry-go-round. Ever since his parents' death, he never visited a carnival nor rode on any rides like this.
 
  After the gamekeeper blasted the horn, the ride started. Ji Hoo was going up and down slowly along with the msic while his heart pumped with adrenaline. The boy, who was with the girl earlier, nudged him and asked playfully, "Hyung (a Korean term to address men older than you), have you not gotten on a merry-go-round before?"
 
  Feeling a little embarassed, he replied with a tight smile. "Nope." The boy did not pester him after that question. Enjoying the bliss moment, he closed his eyes and thought to himself, This is what riding a merry-go-round feels like, happy and joyful.
 
  After 5 minutes of fun, Ji Hoo felt like he soared above the mountains and seas. Ignoring the weird glances the parents were giving him, he exited the ride, even going to the extend of thanking the gamekeeper. Something snapped in his brain. Just as he silently exclaimed, The girl! he spun around, only knocking into her right away, head to head.
 
  "Ow..." both of them moaned, but the girl ended up giggling.
 
  "Hyung, you were the guy on the merry-go-round, weren't you?" the boy beside her asked him. Nodding in certainty while still rubbing his crown, the boy excitedly babbled: "Sunbae (a Korean term to address a senior), sunbae! This is the hyung that sat beside me during the ride and you know what's funny? He said he hasn't ride a merry-go-round before! Ke ke ke ke..." The boy laughed, but it was ignored by her. She stared at him, then later smiled. "Really?" she asked, not louder than a whisper, but he caught her question.
 
  Looking at the ground, he replied with a firm "Yes." Looking up, he saw her smiling. "Well, do not feel ashamed, it was my first time too. If not for this little devil here--" she pinched the little boys' cheeks and continued "I probably wouldn't have even thought about riding one." Smiling, he too reached out to pat the little boy's head.
 
  "Hey!" the little boy pouted. "By the way, my name is Yong Guk! And this is my cousin, Yeo Ji Mi! Hyung's name is?" smiling again, he too reached out his hand for a shake: a firm stance to represent friendship.
 
  "Ji Hoo. Yoon Ji Hoo," and he shook his hand.
 
  Ji Mi glanced at her watch, and shook Jun Goo's arm vigorously. "Jun Goo! It's already 6:30p.m.! Omona ('oh my goodness' in Korean), ahjussi (a Korean term to address a adult as uncle) is going to kill us!" Waving bye to Ji Hoo, they jetted out of his view, into the sunset.
 
  Even though they left only knowing each other's names, he had a strong feeling that they would meet again, sometime.