Chapter 3

Together

 

  Rushing towards the clinic, he glanced at his watch while making a sharp turn. "8:30a.m. already?" he exclaimed, unable to accept the fact that he had slept in late on a work day. Blame Woo Bin, he thought, because yesterday Woo Bin persuaded them to drink at this bar and in the end all of them got drunk. Besides a hangover this morning at 3:00, he didn't have a good rest at all. 

  Nonetheless, he was happy that he met up with them yesterday. It was a pleasure seeing them after so long! Parking his car at a reserved spot for him, he jetted to the clinic, only to find it unlocked. Frowning, he slided the door slowly and went it as quiet as a mouse. He heard glass clanking in the kitchen of the clinic. He decided to give the 'intruder' a little scare. Smiling, he tip toed behind the girl and whispered a little "Boo." The girl jumped with fright and slapped him across the face, not knowing that it was Ji Hoo. 

  "Omona, Ji Hoo, you shouldn't scare me like that!" wailed Jan Di, who had been a volunteer at the clinic ever since Grandfather met her. Rubbing his left cheek, he mumbled a "ungrateful witch" and stood up. To his surprise, Jan Di came up and hugged him tight. 

  "I sure did miss you, soul mate." she said into his white coat. Probably staining it with her saliva. 

  "I know you did." Hugging her back, he smoothed her hair. He still had feelings for her and wanted to stay like this the whole day, but he couldn't. She was married, to Jun Pyo. She is Mrs. Goo Jun Pyo now. 

  Accepting the fact, he broke their little reunion and smiled, "Well I have to get to work now. What's the first appointment, little assistant?" After patting her head, he went into his office and settled down. 

  "Well, yesterday someone called and booked at 9:00a.m. by the name of Yeo Yongguk. Later, at 9:15a.m. ..." His mind drifted off. Why did he sound familiar?, he asked himself. Sorting the files while thinking, he ran yesterday's incident along his mind. Wake up, breakfast, stroll at park, carnival, F4 office... CARNIVAL! Puffing his cheeks, he knew he was right. They would meet again. 

  Just then, came a voice from the outside that sounded ever so familiar. "Annyeonghaseyo! ('Hello!' in Korean) Is the clinic open yet?" 

  Jan Di replied almost immediately: "Yes! Yes! Do come in! Have a cup of green tea if you'd like before you go in the doctor's room." 

  "No thanks," she replied, walking into the office. Gawking, she pointed at him. Yongguk had his mouth opened all the way to the white clear marble floor. "It's that hyung from the carnival!" they exclaimed in unison. 

  Chuckling a little, he said in a professional voice: "So Yongguk, how are you feeling?" Yongguk still had his mouth wide open from the aftermath of the shock. Walking mindlessly to the seat next to Ji Hoo, he said in an almost robot-ish way: "I had a really painful stomach ache yestrday after the carnival and diarrhoea." 

  Ji Hoo then checked his pulse and blood pressure, then listened to the sound of his heart beat. He proceeded by asking Ji Mi if he had a 'trend' for his diarrhoea. "Well, not really actually." she replied with a thoughtful face, 

  "It's mild food poisoning," he told him as he removed his stethescope. "I'll write a perscription to you, how old are you again?" Hearing no reply from Yongguk as he decided on the perscription, he tapped Yongguk's head lightly and teased: "Are you really that shocked to see me working as a doctor? Do I not look like one?" 

  Yongguk, awakening from his 'trance' shook his head immeadiately. "Hyung looks more like a lawyer," he said. Laughing a little, he ruffled his hair and told Ji Mi, "I'll be getting off at 4:30 p.m. so if it's fine do hang around here." Ji Mi looked a little surprised to see that he had asked them out, but she nodded her head and said thank you anyway. Yongguk, who was literally too glad to see him hugged him and said: "Kamsahamnida ('Thank you!' in Korean), hyung!" And ran off after Ji Mi.  

  Ji Hoo massaged his neck. Today's patients seemed to have increased, maybe it's because of the heat of the summer. Well to his word, he ended his work at 4:30p.m. and went to the waiting room, expecting to see Ji Mi and Yongguk waiting for him. Instead, Ji Mi is nowhere to be seen and Yongguk was slouching beside Jan Di, his face sour. Not daring to speak to the boy, he tapped Jan Di's shoulder and gave her a questioning look. Jan Di understood quickly and said to Yongguk: "Noona will talk to hyung for a while alright? Do stay put till Ji Mi arrives." After that, they proceeded to the kitchen and she started to explain. "Ji Mi got a grave phone call and she rushed out immediately. Yongguk who seems to understand that phone call turned all sour and depressed ever since then. I tried talking to him and he mumbled something about parents, divorce and hate. I connected the dots and that's my theory." 

  Ji Hoo was shocked. He himself could understand that pain because his parents left him alone at an early age too. Sniffles echoed around the clinic and later came the sobs. Feeling a little more confident that he could talk sense into Yongguk, he left the kitchen and sat beside Yongguk, comforting him at the same time. After a while, when the sobs subsided, he whispered: "Ji Mi might be very late. She's actually at the city centre now. Do you mind if I stay here till she comes? I'm sorry to have caused so much trouble," and he slouched again. Ji Hoo replied him with a certain "Yes" and continued to stay beside him and motioned for Jan Di to go home. He then prepared some green tea and left it in front of Yongguk and proceeded to wait for Ji Mi. 

  It seems like it took forever for her to solve her problem. Ji Mi came for Yongguk at 9:45p.m. and was surprised to see Ji Hoo there. Yongguk went up to give her a hug. This time it was Ji Mi's turn to comfort him. Yongguk started sobbing into her blouse but she didn't mind at all. Instead, she continued to whisper reassuring words into his ears while patting and hugging him. Hearing snippets from their conversation, he then had his own theory about what happened too. To make sure they were correct facts, he stood up and went over to Ji Mi and whispered: "Meet me at the cafe next to this clinic after you've sent him back home. I won't go till you arrive," he added and exited the clinic.


  A/N:
  As I have mentioned, I originally posted my fanfiction on Wattpad and I used my phone to edit it so there maybe some minor (or even major) grammatical errors and I like my piece to be let's say, perfect. So if your sharp eyes spot any mistakes in the chapters do notify me as soon as possible so that I can correct it.
  Thank you for reading!