October 2013

Unintended

[October 2013]
 

Jinae was in the care of Mrs. Kim. A week after Shiwon left, he had gone through a massive list of people that were qualified to babysit a 3 month-old and she had been perfect. Her schedule was flexible, she treated Jinae well, and Jinae had seemed to take a liking to her. Up until now, she was working perfectly.
He was settling Hwayoung into the booster seat so he could take her to school. Hwayoung wiggled in the seat and shot him a grin. He couldn’t help but grin back at her before ruffling her hair.

“Dad…” she said with a pout and he laughed.
“You want to go to school?”
She nodded.
“We’ll be there in a bit alright?”
“Okay.”
He made sure that the seat was tightened properly before closing her door, opening the driver’s door, and sliding into the seat.

The car made little noise as it was and the music from the radio soon filled the car. Hwayoung was looking out the window as he started to reverse into the street.

“What are you going to do at school today?” he asked as he glanced into the rearview mirror, just to see Hwayoung moving her head to the beat of the music.
“Yesterday we were learning about multiplication so I don’t know.”
“Was it easy?”
“A little…,” He glanced again and she was looking at the floor. Both of her hands in her lap; he knew she was nervous about something. “Dad… I know mom told me not to ask, but where did she go?”
He felt a chill go down his spine, his grip on the steering wheel tightened but he kept driving. He looked into the mirror and said her name: that made her look up. He noticed that she didn’t look sad, she just looked curious.
“Your mom had to go work far from here.”
“So she is working?”
“Yeah.”
“When is she coming back?”
“S-she’s not coming back Hwayoung. She is really busy.”
His daughter nodded and looked out the window again.
“Wh-what did she tell you?”
She looked towards him and smiled, “I have to take care of Jinae and you. Mommy really needs to leave.”
“Will you be okay without mom Hwayoung?”
“Yup,” she answered before asking him to turn the music a little louder. The rest of the ride to school consisted of Hwayoung singing a few songs she knew and part of others. Yoonjae glanced back at her every so often and tried to calm his racing heart.


When they arrived at the school, Hwayoung was impatiently pulling at the belt. He stopped so that she could get off. Within seconds, the seat belt was off and she was grabbing her backpack and opening the door.
“Remember Taewong is picking you up and behave.”
“Yeah dad,” she was now climbing out of the car.
“See you later okay?”
She sent him a smile and nodded. He watched as she slammed the door closed, ran to the entrance of the school and disappeared inside. He drove to his job, his fingers white from the tight grip he had on the steering wheel. The moment he parked and turned off the car, he hit the steering wheel with closed-fists before resting his forehead against it. He was 15 minutes late to work.

 


 

During the day, he had to push himself to focus on working. His attempts had been mildly successful but the conversation with Hwayoung was still in the back of his mind. He felt so mentally tired. He wanted to do nothing but relax and be with Hwayoung and Jinae before they left. He arrived home at his usual time and Taewong’s car was parked on the driveway: that made him feel a little better. Hwayoung was the first to greet him as he entered the house and he found Taewong feeding Jinae when he stepped into the kitchen.

“Thanks for picking Hwayoung up,” he took a few steps toward Jinae and Taewong automatically moved, silently handing the responsibility to feed her over.
“Don’t worry about it. So what are you doing tonight?”
“Their grandparents are coming to take Hwayoung and Jinae for the weekend… so probably just rest.”
“What if we go out for drinks?”
“Tonight?”
“Yeah and we can have dinner if you want.”
“I think I rather just-”
“Yoonjae, have dinner with me. We haven’t done anything-”
“Fine, just don’t start.”
“Meet me in the new Japanese restaurant at 8," Taewong shot him a smile. "I have to do a few things so I will meet you there,” He got up and started to gather his things that were in the living room.
“Okay, they will pick the girls up at 7,” Yoonjae shouted.
“Let me know when you are on your way,” answered Taewong as he walked to the door.
“Okay,” the front door was opened and closed a second later.

Yoonjae sighed and turned his attention back to Jinae. He couldn’t hear Hwayoung so she was probably up to something. He picked Jinae up from the high chair and got a small giggle of appreciation before setting off to find Hwayoung and to get both girls ready.

Jinae was ready by 6:45 while Hwayoung was clean and dressed by 7:20 yet there was no sign of their grandparents. He was waiting with a book on his lap as the girls watched a cartoon when his phone started ringing. They were running late and were about 15 minutes away.

At 7:39, they arrived. Hwayoung was jumping and hugged each of her grandparents. He placed Jinae on Mama Sung’s arms and Jinae immediately settled. When Mama Sung looked at him, she bowed.
“I am so sorry you have to-”
“Mama Sung,” Yoonjae smiled, “stop apologizing. None of this is your fault.”
“But that idiot daughter of mine should not have-”
“I am doing the best I can without her, so if you will please stop apologizing."
Shiwon’s parents looked at each other for a second before apologizing for being late. Hwayoung and Jinae always went with them willingly.

He got ready quickly and was out the door by 7:59.
His phone rang when he was a few blocks away from the restaurant. He answered after the 2nd ring. “I will be there in a bit Taewong, her parent’s ran late so just wait.”
He heard silence for a second before, “Just hurry,” and Taewong hung up. The behavior was a little odd but he decided to let it go, and hurry. He reached the entrance of the restaurant at 8:13, and he had been texting Taewong his location. He entered, gave his brother’s name, and was told the table number 6. He entered the table area and located said table easily. He was about to start walking when his phone vibrated. He stopped and pulled it out. It was from Taewong.

‘I hope that now you realize that he was always there Yoonjae. He has always been there, idiot.’

Yoonjae looked up towards the table. Joonhee was sitting with his phone in one hand as he typed something, a small smile on his lips. He looked back at the phone.

‘It’s up to you to try. Shiwon is gone.’