December 2015

Unintended

Days went by slowly and after 4 weeks, they still had not received an answer from the landlord. It was discouraging to Yoonjae because he really liked the house and he figured that the lack of answer meant they had been turned down. They had looked at other places but his heart was set on that one house. On a Friday, he was about to head to lunch when his cell phone rang. He wondered whom it was until he recognized the number the caller id showed. He picked up as his nerves started acting up.

"Hello?"
"Hi. I'm Hwang Dahyun. I wanted to speak with Yoon Yoonjae.
"I am Yoon Yoonjae. How can I help you?" His voice sounded shaky to his own ears.
"I was calling to see if you are still interested in renting the house you had a tour off since I know it has been a while but I have the application you sent me here."
"Ah-" He had to process the words for a second. "Yes, I am."
"Okay, I’m glad. I am sorry that it took so long for me to contact you and give you my answer, but I had to leave the country because of an emergency. I returned to South Korea yesterday. I hope you can understand, and I would like for you to move in as soon as possible"

He was left speechless for a few seconds before thanking the man and both of them hung up. With a smile and shaking fingers, he dialed Joonhee's number. The surgeon didn't answer and he was not sure what to do with himself for the rest of the day at the fact that he had yet to tell the younger man the good news.

The day would not end fast enough and he left his office as fast as possible when the work day was over. He drove to the hospital to pick up Joonhee and the shorter male was waiting for him by the entrance. Once Joonhee was seated, Yoonjae started driving out of the hospital. He wanted to wait until they were home to tell the surgeon the news but he pulled over in the first gas station he saw, unbuckled their seatbelts, and pulled the unsuspecting male closer to him. His hand was wrapped around Joonhee's neck and he smashed his lips against the younger man's. He tried to portray all the happiness and nervousness he felt into that kiss. Joonhee seemed surprised but kissed him back with the same enthusiasm a few seconds later. He ended the kiss but kept Joonhee's lips near his. "We got the house" he said as he waited to see Joonhee's reaction. The surgeon looked at him as he tried to process the words and Yoonjae captured Joonhee's lips once again after a smile spread on the younger male's lips. The happiness that shone in Joonhee's eyes made his heart beat faster and their smiles would remain evident for the rest of the day. (They were driving home after picking up Hwayoung and Jinae from Mrs. Kim’s house when he told his daughters the news. Jinae didn’t understand but Hwayoung became giddy when she remembered the house he was talking about.)


He asked Shiwon’s parents if they could take the girls for a few days because everything would get done so much faster if the girls were taken care off. They were more than happy to take them and Joonhee and Yoonjae asked a few days off during the following week. Joonhee got Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off while Yoonjae was able to get Tuesday, and Wednesday off.

Joonhee spent Monday sorting and cleaning his almost empty apartment. He was glad he didn't have a lot of things in it since most of his important possessions were at Yoonjae's place already. What he had left in the apartment were things like his bed, TV, and a few clothes. He felt tired of cleaning by the time Yoonjae showed up but between the two of them they moved everything that was heavy out of the apartment. Yoonjae watched as Joonhee looked at the bare apartment and the tiredness he felt from work and from moving the furniture disappeared once Joonhee closed the door and sent a smile his way before suggesting they get started on his apartment.

They slept a few hours before the alarm Yoonjae set went off and they started packing and moving things immediately. Joonhee turned his keys in Tuesday when they had taken a break from sorting through Yoonjae's apartment that was when it became real to the older male. They were finally moving in together.

Most of the stuff that was in girl's room had been packed a little at a time during the hours they had free since Hwayoung and Jinae had spent the weekend with the Sungs. The only things there were left in their room were boxes, Hwayoung's bed and Jinae's crib. Joonhee focused on the kitchen while Yoonjae moved on to his bedroom. The older male had started to clear out his room and every time came across something that belonged to Joonhee, he would stop for a second, listen to the sounds coming from the kitchen, and smile before placing the item in a box along with his own things.

They had finished packing around lunch time. After resting a bit after eating, they started to transport the boxes to the house and the boxes were in the room they belonged in by dinner time. As they unloaded box after box, Yoonjae almost cringed at the number of them. He didn’t think they had that many things.

He had lost count but after about 4 or 5 trips, everything they owned was now under the roof of their new home. He insisted that they leave the big furniture in the apartment until tomorrow since he could get friends to help. Joonhee had been a little hesitant but didn’t object once he felt his muscles protest at the thought of carrying any more heavy things that day. Yoonjae ventured into setting up of their bed which was relatively easy since it consisted of just the mattress and the restroom in their room was just as easy. Joonhee started putting the food that would spoil up, the plates, and silverware were next. He was sure that since he felt tired, Joonhee wasn’t much better off so that was when he suggested they stop for the day and he refused to let Joonhee cook that night. They had food from a nearby restaurant which he went to pick up while Joonhee started behind to make something to drink.

The food was good, and when they finished, they talked about where they should put certain things to rest for a bit. Joonhee declared he needed a shower and he let the younger male have the restroom first. If they had showered together, the idea of skin on skin, lips on lips, and the thought of being inside Joonhee would be temping and they would end up exhausted instead of just tired.

When he stepped into the shower, the warm water relaxed his muscles and even thought it felt great, he didn’t take long. Joonhee was resting in their bed by the time he got out of the shower. The younger male was almost completely asleep but he could tell that the surgeon was fighting to stay awake to wait for him. A smile settled on his lips at the fact that Joonhee looked adorable in their bed and he didn’t make the younger male wait for long. Yoonjae turned the lights off, laid in bed, and pulled Joonhee into his arms. The tiredness he felt caught up to him and he was asleep within minutes.

 

 

Wednesday morning, Yoonjae woke up with Joonhee curled against his side and very confused because he didn’t recognize where he was for a moment. Once the confusion cleared, he focused on Joonhee and the unusual silence that filled their home. It wasn’t very often that he woke up earlier than Joonhee and that alone proved to him that the younger male was probably exhausted. He debated in staying in bed or getting up. Staying in bed with Joonhee sounded great but the thought of letting the surgeon sleep more won. He left the room and he started to put arrange the things that belonged in the kitchen hoping that whatever sounds he made would not reach their room.

He found a place for their glasses, positioned the plates in the cabinet above the sink, and the pots had being hidden from view when Joonhee’s sleep ridden voice traveled through the house. He ignored what was left in the box to greet the younger male. He wrapped his arms around Joonhee’s waist, placed a peck on his lips, and smiled at him before telling the shorter man good morning. Joonhee wrapped his arms around the others neck, pressed himself a little closer, rested his head on Yoonjae’s shoulder and closed his eyes in bliss before speaking.

“Morning”
“Did you sleep well?”
Yoonjae’s answer was a hum and the tightening of Joonhee’s arms around his neck. His fingers teased the skin that was revealed because the younger male’s shirt rode up. They stayed that way for a few seconds and Joonhee was the one to break the silence. “I should make breakfast so that we can continue.”
“Yeah…” Yoonjae made no move to let go of the surgeon making the shorter male laugh.
He pulled away from Yoonjae. “Start setting up the beds for the girls, I’ll have breakfast in a bit”
Reluctantly, he freed Joonhee and started to make his way towards the bedrooms. He started arranging the furniture in Hwayoung’s room and had unpacked most of the older girl’s clothes by the time Joonhee entered the room.

The younger male sent him a smile. “Jinae’s bed is here.”
“Okay,” He answered before standing up and making his way towards the front door, knowing that Jinae’s bed was not the only thing that was going to be delivered. “I’ll take care of it. Finish making breakfast please. I’m hungry.”

Joonhee answered with a nod and just before they stepped out of the room, Yoonjae’s hand patted the younger man’s .

 


He was in the middle of checking on the rice when he figured that there was something odd going on. His first clue was that he could still hear the men that were delivering the furniture after five minutes and out of nowhere, a loud noise echoed throughout the house. He peeked towards the front door because of the sound to see them carrying a mattress in which was far too big for it to be for a three year old. Yoonjae was helping them carry it and he stared as they struggled for a few second. He left the kitchen to help them; they entered the master bedroom without much trouble and the men placed the mattress on top of the box spring.

His features showed confusion which morphed into astonishment when the men walked out and carried a dresser in a few minutes later. He sure that he was not looking at the same bedroom set Yoonjae had in the apartment and made sure that there was nothing on the stove before leaving the kitchen again. He had a few questions Yoonjae had to answer.

He asked until they were left alone in the house once the furniture had been set up and after thanking the man for their help. He headed straight into the bedroom after locking the door. Joonhee made eye contact as he entered the bedroom and took a deep breath before speaking.

"Jae what's this?" He motioned towards the furniture "What happened to the old one?"
"I saw this one in the store when we bought Jinae's bed and I liked it. I figured it would look good in our room. Besides, the dresser is bigger" Arms wrapped around his waist and Joonhee was pulled closer to the older man's body.
"What about the other one?" His heart started beating fast because the old set had been the one that Shiwon and Yoonjae shared after their wedding and if the older man was getting rid of it, it could mean that-
"I have had that one for years." Joonhee rested his head on the older man's chest as Yoonjae started to sway them lightly. "This new one is something to celebrate"

He wrapped his arms around Yoonjae's neck and shut his eyes in an attempt to stop the ideas running through his head and to control the tears that were threatening to fall. "Celebrate what?"
"That maybe not by law or by paper, but in my eyes today is our wedding day if you'll have me. I plan on spending the rest of my life with you."

The taller man's words confirmed what Joonhee was thinking and his hands grasped the back of the older man's shirt just before his tears started to fall. The happiness he felt was overwhelming and his heart constricted as the realization that Yoonjae was truly over Shiwon settled into his mind. The shorter man smiled through his tears and with one more kiss from Yoonjae to his temple, all the fears and doubts concerning Shiwon disappeared in their entirety. He got back to the half cooked food after his tears stopped and he had placed a countless amount of kisses on the older man’s lips.

The aroma of what the younger male was making filled the house and that’s when Yoonjae’s hunger started to really kick in. He had arranged the furniture, unpacked Jinae’s clothes and her new bed was almost set up by the time Joonhee entered the room to tell him the food was ready. They ate in between smiles and plans of what they wanted to add to the house. During their debate about the swing that he wanted, Yoonjae volunteered to do the dishes after they finished.

Joonhee stepped inside their bedroom after they finished breakfast. One edge of the bed was touching the wall, a nightstand was on each side of the bed while the dresser was near the closet and with a happy smile he started opening the biggest box that was in the room.

 

 

Yoonjae’s office closed because of some renovations that needed to be done to the pipes and Joonhee was sent home since it had been a calm day at the hospital. Once they were both home, they took Hwayoung and Jinae with them to have lunch at Taewong’s apartment at the insistence of Yoonjae’s brother. They were greeted by the woman Taewong had been dating for quite some time now and during lunch, they announced with a smile that she was now his fiancée and both were congratulated by Yoonjae and Joonhee.

Even though the meal was comfortable, they left early so that they could be home before it got much colder than it was already. They were pulling out of the parking lot around four when Hwayoung’s voice filled the car.

“When are we getting our puppy, dad?” Yoonjae told Hwayoung about the idea of getting them puppy a few days ago, and after that, she started asking him about the animal whenever she got the chance.
“A puppy?” Joonhee turned to look at the older girl who nodded in response.
“Dad said we would get a puppy” Her eyes moved back and forth between the two men.
“Ah Hwayoung-” His eyes looked into the rear view mirror to look at his daughter.
“You said we would get one soon” Her eyes were teary and pleading.
He looked away to look back at the road. “It’s really cold to get a puppy right no-”
“Please dad?” He looked at her though the mirror when they reached a red light and his resolve died with a sigh before he could even refuse. He turned to look at Joonhee because he hadn’t mentioned the dog idea to the younger male. When he was about to speak, he noticed the amused look on the surgeon’s features.

Joonhee shook his head as he smiled. “She didn’t even have to use her half of her cuteness on you this time”
He stared at the younger man and a honk reminded him he was driving. “What-”
“Is there a pet store is around here?”
“I-I-There is”
The younger male nodded “Let’s just hurry so that we get home.”


The process of Hwayoung choosing the puppy took a bit of time because for every puppy was “so cute”. Jinae looked at each animal with curiosity and would take a few steps towards them before backing up and hiding behind Hwayoung or one of Joonhee’s or Yoonjae’s legs. In the end, Hwayoung choose the one puppy her sister kept pointing at, and they started to make their way home after paying for the dog and other things they would need.

The air felt below freezing outside, and he was surprised to see the first flakes of snow falling as he was driving towards their home with the car’s heater in full blast. Half way there, Jinae was in her seat asleep, Hwayoung was caressing their new puppy’s fur as the small thing cuddled closer to her, and Joonhee was laying back on the seat as he looked out the window.

He pulled into the driveway of their home and turned the car off as the younger man told Hwayoung to cover Jinae with a blanket so that she wouldn’t feel the cold once they opened the doors. Both got off as quickly as possible, and Joonhee opened the back door, took the three year old into his arms, shut the door and rushed into the house. Hwayoung cuddled with the puppy as her dad opened the door for her. He told her to be careful before helping her out of the car. She almost ran into the house with the dog in her arms as he shook his head with a small smile and closed her door. He stayed behind to collect the bags that contained the things that they had bought for the animal. With the two bags in his hands, he turned back to the driver’s door to lock the car and he closed his door after making sure he had his keys.

The snow was starting to be noticeable in their lawn when a whispered “Yoon” reached his ears right when he was about to take a step towards the house. He thought for a second that he had imagined the sound but once she spoke again, his body completely stopped before turning towards her. His eyes focused on her face, and he sighed hopelessly.

“What are you doing here?”
"I wanted to see you, Yoon" She moved forward, and Yoonjae watched every step she took.
He shook his head before looking directly into her eyes. “How did you know where we live?”
“It’s not important”
“It is because I told you to leave me alone”
“You are just hurt” she told him with a small smile
“It’s been three years, why are you here?”
“I want to see my family”
He looked at her with bewilderment. “Your family?”
“Yes. I came to see my family; my two daughters and you.”
“Shiwon I’m not part of your family anymore”
“You ar-”
“If you haven’t realized it, I have Joonhee now.”
“We both know you don’t love him… I’m your first love”
“What do you think you know about me? They say first loves never last.”
“We are the exception Yoonjae, we have two daughters, we were building a family and-”
“You left that family without a second thought”
"But I'm back Yoon and-"
"Even if you are back, it doesn't mean that I still love you." He tightened his holds on the bags as he heard the front door of the house open and Joonhee calling his name.
“Yoonjae, what’s taking so long with the b-”The younger man spotted her and fell silent. He stood awkwardly in the porch and Yoonjae started walking towards him with no hesitation.

"Yoon-" She reached out her arm in an attempt to stop her ex-husband from walking closer to whom she considered a rival now but the older man brushed off her hand easily and continued towards the house.

“I’ll give you two some privacy.” The surgeon looked at both of them with an uncomfortable expression before turning his back on both of them. He took a hold of the doorknob and he opened the door to see Hwayoung standing on the other side. He was about to guide her further into the house because in his opinion, she had no reason to see her parents arguing, when she slipped by him and started racing towards her dad. She looked straight at her dad and smiled when she crashed into him.

"Dad," she pulled back to look up and noticed the woman that was approaching them. Her smile dissipated and curiosity filled her features.
"Go back inside Hwayoung"
"But dad, you have the things for the puppy"
He bent down to his daughter's eye level, and he was about to speak, Shiwon spoke before him.
"Hwayoung please go back inside so that I can talk to your dad"
She looked at the woman for a second before turning back to her dad and moving closer to him. "Who is she?"
Her question was heard by the three adults and silence reigned for a few seconds. Yoonjae stared at his daughter with surprise. "You don't recognize her?"
The ten year old shook her head before stealing a glance at the woman again.
"Hwayoung?" Shiwon was the one to speak now and Hwayoung looked at her. "Come here" She knelt down to seem welcoming to her daughter but Hwayoung shook her head once again before moving away from her and headed for Joonhee. She wrapped her arms around the surgeon and buried her face into his jacket.
Joonhee looked back at Yoonjae before looking at Shiwon. She seemed hurt and he bit his lip as he tried to comfort Hwayoung by caressing her back. "How about we go inside and play with your puppy?"
She looked at Shiwon first with caution before turning to Joonhee as she smiled and nodded. The younger man sent a sad smile towards Shiwon before entering the house. Even if she had left, it must feel horrible that your oldest daughter doesn't recognize you.

"What did you tell her?" Shiwon's eyes were fixed upon the door that her daughter had just walked through.
Yoonjae shook his head. "I didn't tell her anything. You told her you were going to work and I gave her that same answer."
"How is it possible that she doesn't recognize me? Her own mother?" She looked beyond mad.
"I don't know Shiwon"
"You should know, you have been taking care of her!" She walked up to Yoonjae and slapped his arm. "What have you told her about me?" She started hitting any part that she could reach of Yoonjae and his hands captured her wrist to stop the attack
"Don't hit me," he spat out before forcing her arms to stay by her sides. “Don’t even touch me” He released her as he uttered those words. “If you want to see the girls again, we can arrange something”
She stared at the door for a few second before turning to look at him with big eyes. “And Jinae? What about her?”
He gazed at her with something near pity in his features. “There is no way she remembers you, if that’s what you are asking”
“But she- I’m their mom...” He noticed the way her hands started to shake and her eyes seemed glossy all of a sudden. He could not begin to fathom what Shiwon was feeling because the thought of not having his daughters in his life made his heart constrict in a painful way.

“You can see them; I don’t have a problem with that. They go with your parents every month; you can start by showing up there and we can introduce you to them that way.”
Her teary eyes looked at him in disbelief. “The weekends? I want to see them.”
“You will; when they go to see their grandparents.” His voice was firm.
“I have a right to see them whenever I want and I want to see them right now.” Her voice was increasing in volume and he figured she was near hysterics now.
“You lost that right when you left them Shiwon.”
She glared at him for a few seconds before looking at the door. “You can’t stop me” she added as she started walking towards the entrance of the house.
He had no intention of letting her anywhere near his family, at least not right now so he blocked her path. “Yes, I can. This,” He motioned towards the house “Is not your home. No one has invited you in; therefore, you have no right to step inside.”
“But they are mine” She spat as she tried to get around him once again.
“I never said they aren’t your daughters as well but” He put an emphasis on the last word and blocked her way once again. “This is the home I have built with Joonhee and I don’t want you in it. You are no one to step inside of it. In other words, you aren't welcomed here Shiwon."
She looked at him in disbelief.
"I'll contact your parents about the arrangements, now go home." He turned his back on her and finished walking the rest of the way to the front door. He opened the door when it was within his reach and Hwayoung's voice reached her ears as he walked into the house.

"Daddy, what do you think we should name the puppy?"

The door closed after him, and she looked at the door as the only thing she could suddenly hear was the sound of the wind.

 


A/N: I think that this was the longest chapter I have written for this story and I promise to not add any more chapters randomly. It's the end. The chapter was hard to write but fun. Oh here is a picture of the puppy Hwayoung got but just imagine the dog a few months old. I hope that you enjoyed the ending and if you want to leave a comment or contact me feel free to do so. I'm open to new online friends.