May 2013

Unintended

[May 2013]

She had planned to move all her bags while Yoonjae was at work and Hwayoung was in school. Their day was usually the same; she would arrive home at 3, Hwayoung arrived at 4 from school, and Yoonjae never arrived before 5:30.

"Everything is ready," she whispered as her eyes rested on her oldest daughter before turning her glance towards the second bedroom of the apartment where she had just placed Jinae down to sleep with her bottle. She leaned back on the chair she was sitting on and sighed, ‘I'm going to miss them,' her eyes filled with tears, 'But I can't be here anymore'

Hwayoung was doing her homework on the coffee table and it was 4:59. She grew anxious with every second that passed: she had to leave soon.

"Hwayoung," she said as she stood up and walked to the coffee table, "Get up."
Hwayoung silently turned and stood up. Shiwon kneeled and cupped Hwayoung's cheeks, "I have to leave in a bit okay? Can you take care of Jinae until your dad gets here?"

Hwayoung smiled and nodded.

"That's my girl," Shiwon said as she pinched her daughter's cheeks.

"But where are you going mom?"
"I have to go work."
"Okay."
"And I am telling you so you won't ask your dad, he'll be sad if you do."
"But mom-"
"Hwayoung, I talked to your dad and he knows I can't stay," she reached out and ran a hand through Hwayoung's hair, "But if he does get sad, hug him." She smiled at her daughter, "It will make him feel better."
Hwayoung looked at her for a second before nodding, "Alright."


His tie was hanging loosely around his neck, his hand was rubbing the back of his neck to get rid of the stiffness he felt, and he held his brief case and jacket in the same hand as he stepped out of the elevator and into the hallway that led to their home. He was in no hurry. Shiwon was with the girls and they were waiting for him to prepare dinner. That thought brought a smile to his lips. His eyes landed on the door and on the yellow envelope that was taped to the door.

A frown settled on his face and wondered who had placed it there. He stopped in front of the door and took the envelope with ease. It probably contained only papers since it was flat.  He ripped one of the ends of the envelope and took the papers into his hands easily. The first sheet was full of Shiwon’s writing. He was going to scan the other papers, but once he saw the official stamp on the left corner of the page, his eyes looked over the first page quickly. The word ‘divorce’ stood out to him and his hands started to shake as his eyes filled with angry tears. He didn’t have to look into the apartment to know that she was probably gone and that Hwayoung and Jinae were alone.

The idea of ‘how can she do this to me? To us?’ started to race in his head.

He walked away from the front door of the apartment. His shaking hand reached into his pocket and took his cell phone out. He called his brother: he needed to talk, to scream, to do something. The phone kept ringing and he ended the call when there was no response. His tears were blinding him by now and he dialed another number.
The call was answered after the third ring and his tears started falling.
“Hey Yoonjae,” Joonhee’s voice greeted him.
He had to collect himself but a sob broke through his lips.
“Yoonjae?” Joonhee now sounded alarmed, “Are you okay? What’s going on?”
Another sob, “I- she- Joon-”
“Where are you? At your house?”
A yes passed his lips before another sob.
“I-I’ll be there in a bit. Just stay on the phone with me until I get there?”
He didn’t answer but his throat made a noise and Joonhee took that as a yes.


Joonhee arrived. It could have been minutes, hours, days, after he had called the younger man, he wasn’t sure. Joonhee had taken the papers from his hands and looked at them. He read what Shiwon’s note said and turned to Yoonjae with wide eyes. He clung to Joonhee as his sobs stopped but the tears continued. Joonhee was trying to coax him into the apartment when a panting Taewong arrived and Joonhee gave him the note. When Taewong finished reading it, his eyes were wide and-

“Where are Hwayoung and Jinae?”
“In the apartment,” Joonhee answered, “I checked on them when I arrived.”
Taewong nodded “I- I can take the girls to my place Yoonjae and-”
Yoonjae looked at him and Taewong could feel the hate Yoonjae felt for Shiwon at that moment in his stare, “Why did she do this to me?”

 

Yoonjae,

            I know that I am leaving alone, without Hwayoung and Jinae, but please take care of them. As you can see, I petitioned for our divorce. I am suffocating here. I need to go. I thought that a life with you would make happy and it did… for a while. I can’t just be here and have kids and I just need to do something different. Let me go. I am sorry. I truly am.


A/N: The first chapter is short I know but the upcoming one's get longer I promise. Xinshuang thank you so much for subcribing and I hope you comment? Pretty please?