Last Goodbye

Last Goodbye

Junhyung nodded.

" Yoseobbie? Doojoon? " I asked.

" I have vocal coaching today.. " Yoseob said.

" i have a soccer match.. " Doojoon said.

" Okay then I guess its just me and Dongwoonie! " Kikwang popped up.

" Mm, yah, quick. The recess bell's going off. " Junhyung said as Yoseob shoveled the remaining food in his mouth.

They all got back to class and before they knew it, school was over.

" Dongwoonie!! " Kikwang shouted from the bus stop. They took the bus to the mall and they caught the movie in time, with popcorn and some snacks. After the movie, Kikwang and Dongwoonie went window shopping.

" Yah, Kikwang-ah.. .... " Dongwoon said, followed by silence and he just fell to the floor. Kikwang panicked and called for the ambulance. He called Yoseob next.

" Yoseobbie!! Come to Incheon General Hospital! Tell Junhyung and Hyunseung too! "

" WAE?! MWOYA? " Yoseob replied in a worried tone.

" Dongwoon fainted. I'm waiting for the ambulance now. " Kikwang said.

Soon the ambulance came and took Dongwoon in.

" Sir, please come in. " he told Kikwang. Dongwoon was still unconscious. Kikwang held Dongwoon's hand and told the doctor about his condition.

" Dongwoon has ALS. He faints often. " Kikwang told the doctor. I was already on the way to IGH.

When Kikwang and Dongwoon reached the hospital, they pushed him in the emergency room and Kikwang had to wait with the others while they ran a few tests. Doojoon wasn't informed of this.

" Yoseobbie ah~.. ". Kikwang said as he snuggled his head in Yoseob's chest..

" I dreamt Dongwoon-sshi died... " Ki continued as he wailed.

" Yah, it's just one of his fainting times. " Yoseob said, reassuring him.

Ki wouldn't stop wailing so much so Junhyung and I had to give him a group hug.

" Um, friends of Mr. Son Dongwoon? " the doctor said as he peered his head out of the room.

" i'll go. " Junhyung said. He walked towards the doctor.

" Ahem yes. Son Dongwoon is fine. But,.. Judging from the tests we ran, Dongwoon is losing strength his feet already. It won't be long till he can't walk. Probably in September. He'll be warded here for 2 days under observation. " the doctor said.

" oh.. Oh.. Okay.. Kamsahamnida. " said Junhyung after hearing the news. He walked back to where Yoseob, Kikwang and I were.

"The doctor said Dongwoon will be fine, but he's losing strength in his feet and... he'll most probably be unable to walk by September. He'll be warded for 2 days. " Junhyung explained as he held back his tears.

I read Junnie's mind. Losing the ability to walk was depressing. How are we even going to tell Dongwoon this. We had to. We saw Dongwoon to get pushed into his private room, Room 211. We went in and saw Dongwoon still asleep. Kikwang was still crying.

" Yah, Lee Kikwang.. Come here.. " Junhyung said. Kikwang moved over to Junhyung as Junhyung held his arms out and tucked Kikwang's face in his chest area.

" shhhh... Stop crying.. Dongwoon won't be happy if he sees you like this.. Right now, he needs our support. See, Dongwoonie's fine. Let him rest, come on, I'll get you dinner from the coffee shop. We can get something for Dongwoon and the rest. "

Junhyung said as he stood up, held Kikwangs hand and brought him down for dinner. The reason why Ki was like this, was because he was afraid of losing anymore people in his life. Junhyung packed Dongwoon's favourite food and bought Hyunseung and Yoseob some chicken rice. They got to the pharmacy and picked up some muscle supplements for Dongwoon. When they got back to his room, Dongwoon was already awake. " Yah! Hyung! " he said as he saw Junhyung and Kikwang walk through the door.

" Dongwoonie!! " Ki said as he threw his arms around Dongwoon. Junhyung gave the food to Yoseob, Dongwoon and I. We started eating.

" Does he know yet? " Junhyung asked.

" Do I know what? That my feet are getting weaker and I'll most probably be unable to walk by September? " Dongwoon butted in,again.

" How did you know? I haven't even told you anything. " I said.

Yoseob stared at me.

" ha ha ha! I overheard it. " Dongwoon said.

Just then the nurse came in set the forms on the table.

" Who is paying the medical bills? " the nurse asked. We all stared at each other.

We were only university students, we didn't have money to help pay for Dongwoon's medical bills. Even if we combined all our money together, it still wasn't enough.

" Uhm, Dongwoon doesn't have any family members left. We're the only 5 closest to him.. " I said.

 

" Does he not have insurance? " Yoseob asked.

" Nope. " the nurse replied.

" Uh nurse? We'll get back to you in about 5 minutes. " Kikwang said.

We brainstormed and Junhyung had the idea of asking the school to donate about KRW$250,000 to help pay Dongwoon's medical bills. Dongwoon agreed. The next day, Junhyung, Kikwang, Yoseob and I went down to the Prinicipals office.

" Annyeonghaseyo, Mr. Yong. " the three said as they bowed.

" Yes? " he replied. " We need your help. Our friend, your student, Son Dongwoon, is in hospital and we don't have enough money to pay for his medical bills. He has a sickness, ALS. And he has no more family left besides us. "

" Hmm.. How much is his medical bill? " Mr. Yong asked.

" KRW$800,560 "

" Wow, that's a huge sum of money. We can donate $300,000, and our students can help with the rest. " Mr. Yong said.

" Kamsahamnida. " they said as they left the room. Soon, an announcement came on.

" Attention all students. A donation box will be passed around in your class today and tomorrow, please put in as much as you can donate. This is to help one of our friends, Son Dongwoon from class 1A1. He is very sick and he needs help to pay off his medical bills. He is currently at Incheon General Hospital, Room 211 and is warded for two days. Please donate and visit Dongwoon. Kamsahamnida. "

I saw Doojoon. " Yah! What happened to Dongwoon? Why didn't you tell me he was sick and in hospital? " Doojoon asked.

" Doojoon ah. Come. I need to talk to you.. " Junhyung said as he pulled Doojoon's hand to a table. They sat down and had a talk.

" Doojoon-hyung. I've never told you this before because I didn't want you to worry about Dongwoon. But.. He has a disease. It's called ALS. Its where the patients nerve cells that support the voluntary muscles gradually get weaker. Dongwoon passes out because of this disease. There is no cure. Eventually Dongwoon will become paralyzed, but his brain will still be functioning and he still can talk. Its sad to even think of it. I'm sorry for not telling you earlier, hyung. Now, Dongwoon is in hospital because he fainted at the mall. The doctor told me that his feet are weakening and he would most probably be unable to walk by September of this year. We really need money to pay off his medical bills. The 5 of us are combining money, KRW$50,000 each. " Junhyung said.

" .... I .. Never knew this.. I'm donating KRW$60,000. " said Doojoon.

" Ahhh thank you hyung. Thank you. Dongwoon will appreciate this. Remember. Room 211. " Junhyung reminded Doojoon.

After school, the 5 boys went to the hospital to visit Dongwoon.

" Yah! You're all here again! Now there's Doojoon!! " Dongwoon said. They smiled and Doojoon told Dongwoon that he knew about his condition. Dongwoon smiled.

" Oh yeah! The school donated to us and so did the students. Our total amount of money.made excluding the schools money is.. $250,000!" said Kikwang. Dongwoon started crying. " I never knew you guys could be so caring. Thanks guys..