Last Goodbye

Last Goodbye

" Yes he does, ALS. " Yoseob said as he squeezed Dongwoon's hand. The paramedic started injecting all sorts of medicines into him. When they arrived, Junhyung, Doojoon and I were already there.

" Please wait outside while we attend to him. " said a doctor as he pushed Dongwoon into the emergency room. It took about a good 1 and a half hours before the doctor came out.

" Son Dongwoon. " the doctor said as he came out of the room.

Kikwang was asleep on Yoseob's lap after crying so much and Doojoon and Junhyung were buying food for us. I went up to the doctor and he told me.

" Son Dongwoon's ALS has started to take effect. His nerve cells in his feet .. have .. let's say expired. He can still move his legs but he can't walk. Dongwoon will be warded for observation for 4 days and will be wheelchairbound. "

" oh.. Thank you. Kamsahamnida. " i said as i turned around and tears streamed down my face.

" Hyunseung-hyung, what's wrong? " Yoseob whispered when I sat beside the sleeping Kikwang. I sent him a text telling him everything and forwarded it to Junhyung and Doojoon-hyung. I didn't feel like talking. Soon Kikwang woke up and we went to see Dongwoon. He was sleeping due to the anaesthaesia that was given to him in the ambulance. All 5 of us were in the room. The same room. Room 211. The nurse came in and set the usual forms on the table -- payment, particulars and receipt. The grand total was KRW$352,729. Luckily we could afford to pay for the bill.

Again, KRW$50,000 each.

" If Dongwoon is in and out of the hospital this often, we're gonna get bankrupt. " Junhyung said.

" The school's donation for Dongwoon is still going on right? " Yoseob asked.

" Yeah it is. " Doojoon replied. We used mainly the money from the donations when we were low on cash. After about 5 minutes later, Dongwoon woke up.

" Hello~ " Doojoon said as he did his signature pose.

" Annyeong hyungie~ " he said.

" How are you feeling, hmm? " I asked.

" Not so good. I think I'm running a fever. I..i still can't feel my feet.. " he said as he squirmed around in bed.

" Dongwoonie ah.. I'm sorry.. Your nerve cells in your feet expired and.. You can't walk. But you still can move your legs. " Junhyung said as he held Dongwoon's hand.

Dongwoon started tearing up.

" Dongwoonie ah..Don't cry.. " Kikwang said to him as he hugged Dongwoon.

" You have us. We'll be with you. We'll suffer with you. " Yoseobbie said.

Kikwang stopped crying. He sniffled. " I guess you're right.. Being not able to walk is just the beginning. I'll have more hardships to face in the future. "

Dongwoon said as he looked at Doojoon.

" So I guess I'm wheelchair bound? " he continued.

" Yeah. " Kikwang said. Junhyung took out the pack of food he had bought with Doojoon and fed Dongwoon even though he was perfectly capable of doing it.

" Yah Junhyung-hyung. You don't need to feed me, I can do it myself.. " Dongwoonie said as he tried to sit up. " Yes, i know but - " " I have hands hyungie.Dongwoon interrupted.

" Yah. Your hyung is talking. Do you want to get scolded? " Junhyung said.

" No, mianhe hyung. " Dongwoonie said.

" Anyway, I want to feed you. So shush and eat. " Junhyung continued.

Doojoon was laughing. Dongwoon had 5 types of medicine to be on -- fever pills, pain pills, muscle strengthener pills, sleeping pills and immunity booster pills. " Mm, here, take your medicine. " I said as I handed Dongwoon his cup of medicine. Dongwoon took all his pills and relaxed in bed. We all had different shifts. Yoseob and Junhyung would take the morning - afternoon shift, Doojoon and I took the afternoon - night shift and Kikwang and Yoseob took the night-morning shift.

This was our daily routine: First, get changed. Have breakfast/lunch/dinner. Get to the hospital, buy food for Dongwoon. Finish the shift and go home to sleep/shower/change. Its been two days and the next day was a school day. We didn't really care. So long as we caught up with work. We went back to school on Tuesday, the day Dongwoon was discharged. The 5 of us took an MRT there and fetched Dongwoon. We paid for his medical bills and we took him home. Going to have a shower was difficult. Lucky thing Yoseob, Dongwoon and Kikwang lived together. The two could take care of Dongwoon. But Kikwang being the fragile, panicky, worried hyung he always is, it was all on Yoseob.

Yoseob's house was big, which explains why he could fit so many people in his house. Yoseob's parents were very nice to them. Mrs Yang would always cook for Dongwoon and Kikwang. Mr Yang was overseas, working for the family. To pay for Dongwoon's.medical bills, We took up jobs. We got paid KRW$10,000 for an hour. So if we did the Math, we worked 5 hours. So, $10,000 x 5 = $50,000 per day. $50,000 x 7 = $350,000 per week. So in one week, each of us get $350,000 Korean Won. Plus, $350,000 x 5 = $1,750,000 Won. Altogether we made that much money.

But we haven't set aside for ourselves. We all agreed to share $750,000 Won, so each of us got $150,000 as actual salary. And the $1,000,000 Won would go to Dongwoon. We worked every 3 weeks. In a month we collected $2,000,560 won. It was more than enough to pay 3 visits to the hospital. Dongwoon was very grateful. I was too. I was lucky I was blessed with such good friends. Even though one of them was becoming disabled, I still treasured Dongwoon. His next checkup was on the 16th of October. Tomorrow was Wednesday, 30th September. Yoseob woke Kikwang and Dongwoon up the next morning. " Dongwoonie ah! Wake up! There's school today! " Yoseob said as he switched on the lights in Dongwoon's room.

" Urgh.. Yoseob-hyung.. " Dongwoon said as he struggled to get out of his bed. He slowly moved on to his wheelchair and Yoseob helped him with his shower. " Hyung ah.. " Dongwoon said as Yoseob washed the shampoo off Dongwoon's hair.

" Ne? " Yoseob said.

" Kamsahamnida. Jeongmal kamsa. " Dongwoon said.

" Nah, it's nothing. Welcome Dongie. " Yoseob said as he wrapped a a towel around Dongwoon and wheeled him out of the bathroom and Dongwoon got changed. He then woke Kikwang up. Yoseob had already taken a shower.

" Kikwangie ah! Wake up! School today! " Yoseob said as he flickered the lights in Kikwang's room.

" Mm.. Help meeeee, " Kikwang exaggerated. Yoseob pulled Kikwang up.

" Go bathe. Dongwoon and I are ready. " Yoseob said. Yoseob & Dongwoon had their breakfast while waiting for Ki to get ready. He had his breakfast and they left for school. Usually they would take the bus but since Dongwoon was in a wheelchair, they had to take a car. Yoseob's mum would drive them to school. Yoseob wheeled Dongwoon into school and took him to class.

" Doojoon ah!! " Dongwoon said as Yoseob pushed his wheelchair in the classroom.

" Doojoon-hyung. Take care of Dongwoon. " Yoseob said as he pulled the chair away from Dongwoon's table and wheeled him into the empty space.

" Yeah I will. Trust me. " Doojoon said as Yoseob walked out of the classroom.

" How's Dongwoon? " asked Junhyung as he sat down in front of me.

" He's fine! " Yoseob exclaimed. " I think since there's 5 of us, we each take a day to look after Dongwoon at each others houses. Jun took Monday, Doojoon got Tuesday, Kikwang got Wednesday, I got Thursday and Yoseob got Friday. We all took turns taking care of Dongwoonie. Everything progressed smoothly. There only a few things that Dongwoon couldn't do, like: Showering, playing sports, walking. We all took care of that. Soon it was time.

 " Dongwoonie ah~ wake up. You need to go the hospital.. " Doojoon said as he tapped Dongwoon's leg. The rest of us were already ready to leave. Dongwoon woke up and Doojoon carried him to the toilet to have a shower. After showering Dongwoon, Doojoon changed his clothes and gave him breakfast cooked by Junhyung.

" Hyung ah. Awesome breakfast cooked by an awesome man. " Dongwoon said as he praised Junhyung's food cooking abilities.

After having breakfast, We took Dongwoon to the hospital. We went in the room and sat down.

" Okay. Dongwoon please put your leg up here. I'll conduct a few muscle tests. " said Dr Lee as he started stretching and pulling Dongwoon's leg.

" It seems like he can't move his leg starting from his toes to his shin. Now we will do an xray and MRI to see if he's doing fine. " continued Dr Lee.

They took Dongwoon in for the x-ray and MRI.

" congratulations sir. For some reason, Dongwoon will not be able to get paralyzed in his upper body. Maybe a minor part, but it won't be too major. " said the doctor as he spoke to Junhyung. We were all really happy that Dongwoon was just gonna be paralyzed waist down! He would be elated to hear that. He would maybe have his arm paralyzed. Which wasn't a big deal. When Dongwoon came out of the room in a wheelchair, Kikwang ran up to him and hugged him.

" DONGWOONIE AH! You're not going to be paralyzed from your waist up, well,maybe just your arm but it's not that major because we can get therapy for that! " Kikwang exclaimed as tears of joy streamed down his face.