Last Goodbye

Last Goodbye

I, am Jang Hyunseung. I met my friends, Kikwang, Yoseob, Dongwoon and Junhyung a long time ago. I just met Doojoon, a transfer student. He was smart, had short, straight brown hair. Dongwoon had a disease, ALS. He was just diagnosed with ALS this year. We kept the secret from Doojoon. But the rest of us knew it.

" Annyeong ah Hyunseungie!! " Dongwoon said as he sat down beside me during lunch.

" yah!! How are you doing? " I asked Dongwoon.

" Mm i'm fine thank you. " he replied. Yoseob, Kikwang and Junhyung came to join us for lunch too. Doojoon had to be retained because of his unfinished homework.

" Yah, Junhyung-hyung, Are we gonna tell Doojoon-hyung about Dongwoon-sshi's condition? " Yoseob asked.

" No, not until I'm 3/4 paralyzed and can't go to the toilet myself. " Dongwoon butted in.

ALS disease would leave you paralyzed, but your brain would still be functioning. We had our lunch and headed back to class to check on Doojoon. Dongwoon was a strong boy, his whole family was murdered when he was 13, leaving him alone at a childrens home. Woonie hated it there, so he ran away 2 years later. He then met Yoseob and moved in with him. Dongwoon's disease also would allow him to faint, at random moments.

" Yah, what happens after Dongwoonie loses his ability to walk? How are we gonna tell Doojoon? " Kikwang said.

" Good question, we'll probably tell him that Dongwoon got into an accident that left him unable to walk. " Jun said.

It was hard, hiding the truth.

 

When Woonie faints, he blame it on the weather and exhaustion. It was sad, knowing you were gonna lose a friend after 2-3 years. Everyone loved Dongwoon. He was nicknamed ' Son Namshin ' meaning ' Male God ' because his face wasn't human -- it was godly. He was also a straight A student. He was admired, by everyone.

" Yah! Doojoon-hyung! Annyeong! " Dongwoon said as he saw Doojoon's bright face pop out of the classroom.

" Eh! Annyeong!! " Doojoon said.

The two boys were in the same class. Junhyung, Kikwang and Yoseob were in a class after us. Kikwang was a very shy and gentle boy. He would cry over the smallest things. He would only open up with his best friends, Kikwang too had no family -- they left Kikwang on the streets of Korea and flew to Sweden. In fact, all the best friends had horrible backgrounds. Junhyung, he had no family. Junnie was 13 when his parents passed away in a fatal car accident. Jun's grandparents, aunties and uncles wanted nothing to do with him. Yoseob and Doojoon were lucky, they still had their parents.

Yoseob lived with his mom,dad, Dongie and Kikwang. Junhyung was living alone in his parents house. Jun was very reserved. He didn't talk much. The 5 best friends could all relate to each other. Me? I was living with my parents. We all could relate somehow. Each of us were our shoulders to cry on. It was February. Dongwoon got diagnosed on January 2nd. The doctor said he had a maximum of 3 years to live. The next day in school, Kikwang met Dongwoon.

 

Kikwang being the gentle boy he is, broke down at the sight of Dongwoon.

" Yah... Dongwoonie ah.. I..i had a dream about you last night... " Kikwang said as he hugged Dongwoon tightly.

" and..? " Dongwoon asked while patting Ki's back.

" You... You... Died... Today... 23rd February.. I.. I don't want to lose you.. " Kikwang said as he wailed.

Kikwang had a strong bond with all his friends.

" Aigoo-yah! Its just a dream! I'm not gonna die! " Dongwoon said as he comforted Kikwang.

Ki had a strong, charismatic outlook. But deep inside, he's actually very soft-hearted. Kikwang continued crying..

" shhh stop crying. It's okay. I'll... spend the rest of the day with you okay? I'll be fine! " Dongwoonie said as he hugged Kikwang.

Ki started to up his tears. He sniffled.

" Ne.. Good boy.. Now, wash your face. I'll follow you. " Woonie said, accompanying his words with a comforting smile.

He followed Ki to the toilet and dried off Ki's tears from his shirt. After that, Dongwoon accompanied Kwang back to his class. Ki smiled at Woon before entering his class. I went into my class and sat beside Junhyung. Kikwang sat with Yoseob. Class started and it took FOREVER till we got to recess. Kikwang searched for Dongwoon and followed him everywhere he went. They made plans for a movie and also to the mall. It was just the two of them.

" Yah, after school, any of you wanna go for a movie with me and Dongwoon? " Ki asked.

" I have dance rehearsal with Junhyung for my play. " i said.