Chapter 7

Change of Plans

"Minah! Let's hang out after school today!" Eunji playfully invited her bestfriend. She had high hopes for this day. There was a new cafe opening up, not 5 minutes away. Eunji heard about a good looking boy that was working there, and nothing was going to get in her way of getting that boy's number.

"Come on! We haven't hung out in FOREVER!!!" practically begging Minah as she grabbed ahold of her arm. "Plus, I head there are some nice look bachelors there~" she tried to pursuade her friend.

Minah turned apologetically to her friend. "Sorry. I can't. I'm busy today."

"Again?" Annoyed, Eunji threw back her friend's arm. "You've been busy for weeks!" Minah playfully rolled her eyes.

"Just two." she corrected her friend and continued to pack her things.

"I told you I've got extra cram school studies to do." Minah lied, without making eye contact. Eunji quickled snatched away her books, and furiously shook her head.

"No! You know what they say about studying to much?"

Minah looked at her friend with an amused look on her face.

"They say you go crazy!" she twirled her finger at the side of her head. "I'M doing this for your own good! You should be thanking me!" she hugged Minah's books tightly to her chest. She glanced disgustedly at them. "Look! What is this?" she held up book by book, mocking their names. "Algebra for the Weak Hearted, English for the Stubborn Minds, Literacy for the Homies. What is this crap?" she complained, lightly tossing the books onto her desk.

"Nothing!" Minah defended. She snatched her books back, and shoved them in her bag. "I gotta go. I'm late. Maybe next time. Ok?" she held up her hands clasped together as a sign of an apology, then ran off. Eunji stomped her foot watching her friend run home.

"Geez! What's going on with her lately?" she complained.

Minah was in such a rush she didn't see the person in front of her. The two crashed, and she came crashing down to the ground.

"I'm so sorry!" She automatically apologized.

The other let out a small laugh. "It's no problem. I guess I wasn't looking," the familiar smooth and deep voice said. Minah's eyes widened.

Oh crap...please don't let it be..."Seunghyun-sshi!" Minah called out his name. He smiled and reached out his hand.

"Let me help you up." Minah blushed and shyly accepted his help, holding onto his hand and standing up. "You're still here? I thought you left already." she asked him.

"Nah, I got stuck with the cleaning crew today." he pointed to the students behind him sweeping the halls.

"What about you? You seem to be in a rush these days."

"Oh I'm-" Minah stopped and looked at the clock. "Oh no! I'm late!" she ran off without another moments notice. Seunghyun's eyes followed her, amused. She stopped in her tracks and turned around. "Bye Seunghyun-sshi!" she bowed.

He did the same with a nice polite smile. He gave her a small wave goodbye. "See you!" Minah cheeks reddened and smiled back. She then proceeded to continue with her dash home. Eunji, who had been watching from the side with eyes like a hawk, made a small fist in the air, and nodded her head approvingly.

"You go, girl!" she silently cheered from the side. "Fighting!"


Minah barely made it home and had her books all prepared to tutor Jiyong, like she always had. Except, there was always one small problem. Jiyong was never there. When he was, he would just coop himself in his room and lock the doors. Each night at the dinner table with his parents were unbearable.

"So what have you done today?" the father would always ask.

"Nothing, sir." Minah would always answer. Just the simple response would make her pits run like a waterfall. The father's reaction was different than what Minah had expected. Instead of getting angry, or yelling at her like she thought he would, his expression didn't even seem surprised in the slightest. His curt response of a simple, "I see." made it even more nerve wrecking. Minah couldn't seem to read his expression, or know what he was thinking. Although nights with the mother were much nicer. One time during Minah's first couple nights there, the husband excused himself from dinner, leaving the two women to talk among themselves. The mother seemed so interested in Minah's life, asking about her life, family, school and studies. Minah thought she didn't have much to offer. All she ever did was study. However, tonight's conversation was different.

"You're not in the same class as Jiyong are you?" she asked. Minah shook her head.

"I thught so, you are just too smart to be in the same level as him." she let out a sigh. "and you're telling me he hasn't been coming to those tutoring sessions either?" Minah shook her head again. The mother gave Minah a good look into her eyes, as if she was searching for something through the pupils of her eyes.

"You're not thinking of quitting are you?"

Minah was taken aback. "Why would you ask that, miss?"

The mother shrugged her shoulders and leaned back into her chair, "That's what people do when they get tired of waiting. You're probably getting tired of waiting right? You have to leave school right away to go tutor a kid that doesn't even want you here at all."

Minah furrowed her eyebrows, trying to assess what the mother was playing at.

"Don't you feel guilty having to cancel plans with friends all the time, leaving them disappointed, not to mention having to living away from your family."

These thoughts had never been brought to Minah's attention before. She lowered he head, letting a small cloud of despair slowly build.

"I...I never thought about it like that." Minah admitted.

"You probably don't even get to spend time with your boyfriend, right?" She continued.

"Oh, no. I don't have one." Minah answered honestly.

"Is that right?" the mother smiled slyly. "Well regardless, if you want to quit, it's perfectly fine. I'm sure my husband doesn't mind. We'll still pay you for the time and effort you've wasted."

"But-," Minah tried to refute.

"Just sleep on it tonight. We'll continue talking tomorrow." She excused herself, and briskly exited the room.

Minah sat there in her thoughts for a moment. A maid came in with a phone in her hand.

"Miss, your mother would like to speak to you."

"My mom?" Minah asked, looking up at the petite maid. She nodded and handed Minah the phone.

"Mom?" Minah spoke to the phone.

"Sweetie? Hi! How are you? How was your first week so far? Is everyone treating you ok?" her mom excitedly asked from the other side.

"Good." Minah lied. "Everyone's really nice here."

"I'm so relieved! You're not lonely are you? I made sure that if you were going to tutor there, they would have to eat dinner with you to mske sure you wouldn't get lonely."

"Really?"

"Of course! Nothing is lonelier than eating a meal by yourself right? They are eating dinner with you right?" her mom asked suspiciously.

"Yes! They are! Everyone is really nice. How's little Taemin?"

"He's great! Misses his big sister a lot, but he's understands what's happening, so he's happy for you. He's waiting for you to visit him with that boy from last time."

Minah's face flushed from embarrassment. If only they knew that boy was the once she was supposed to be tutoring.

"Listen, I have to go to work now. You call me next time alright! Love you sweetie!" 

"Night mom. Love you too."

The phone conversation ended there. Minah trudged her way back to her room. She was finally able to memorize her way back to her room, though it was the only way she knew of. She threw he back to her new soft bed, and let herself sink into its sheets. She looked towards the bathroom, the one that she was wary to use ever since she found out it was also the door to Jiyong's room. She groaned just thinking about how their rooms were connected. She wasn't even sure if it was safe to live like this. Come to think of it, she's never even encountered him in the bathroom yet. She walked up to the bathroom door, and knocked cautiously. There wasn't any response. She opened the door to a vacant bathroom. She then proceeded and walked up to Jiyong's bedroom door. She tapped on the door once. No response, although she wasn't hoping for one.

She let out a sigh and asked herself why she was doing this in the first place. She looked at the door once more, and decided to give a real knock. She knocked three times before he heart nearly jumped out of skin. The sound of a dog barking shocked her. She quickly ran to back to her room, and shutting the bathroom doors shut. The sound of the dog's barking was still loud and disruptive. Minah jumped onto her bed and curled up between her covers, trying to block the sound out of her ears.

Suddenly, the barking stopped. Minah listened carefully for any signs that the dog was just catching his breath and was most likely going to start back up soon. Instead, she heard a man's voice.

"Gaho, what are doing barking at the door like that?"

There was another sharp bark as a response to the man.

"Alright, alright. I'll take a look." Minah's eyes jolted open when she heard the door open.

"There's nothing in the bathroom buddy."

Minah rolled her eyes and scoffed, finally recognizing the voice. Jiyong.

The dog barked again.

"What? You wanna go in her room?"

She thought he wouldn't dare.

"Alright. Let's go in."

He dared.


(3/12/14)

HI GUYS! I'M HERE TO MAKE YOUR WEDNESDAY LESS BORING! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I'm totally trying to get the ball rolling. Leave comments for awesome chapters! Thanks again for subscribing! :D